1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Trailer brake module fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM
BillTSD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Trailer brake module fault

2010 F250 Lariat, cab and a half, PSD. 5600 miles.

Sunday I started the pickup and received "trailer brake module fault" in the message center. I wasn't pulling so wasn't too concerned - hit the reset and continued on.

Sunday night I started the pickup again and received the same message followed by "check brake system". I also lost illuminated gear selection, the traction control active symbol was displayed and the traction control "off" (PB) was illuminated. After several attempts it reset, everything returned to normal and I was able to get home without incident.

Monday morning it wouldn't start. It indicated "trailer brake module fault", "check brake system", traction control active and off, no gear indication, the odometer indicated "-------" and it did not react to the key in the start position.

I scheduled a service appointment.

Tuesday morning I attempted to start and it was the same as the previous attempt. I noticed that the theft prevention appeared active (flashing) so I removed the key, locked the doors, unlocked the doors, tried again - no joy.
I kept trying while holding my mouth in different positions and finally by the grace of God it fired. I delivered it to the dealer.

The dealer called yesterday afternoon and reported that everything is a result of a bad trailer brake module. The new one is to arrive today, they will install and everything will be peachy.

I asked if they could just unplug it and reprogram the truck to believe it never had one - the service writer said it can't be done, different piece parts on trucks with or without trailer brakes.

I really have no choice but to push the "I believe" button and carry on but I am slightly concerned. The fact that the trailer brake module can cause catastrophic failure doesn't seem too cool, I don't have a real warm and fuzzy feeling associated with venturing far from pavement, reliable communication or alternative transportation.

I'll post up the results of the repair and any additional information provided by the dealer.

In the meantime I suggest that no one take "trailer brake module failure" lightly.

-Bill

Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks for the report, and please do keep us posted. We hear of failed modules now and then, but not of it causing the other issues. I don't blame you for being skeptical.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and, yes it can be done.

just like you can add an iTBC to a truck without one, you can also remove them.

you wouldn't even have to change master cylinders... just unplug the module and the master cylinder, then reflash the PCM to "TBC present - off"

Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM
BillTSD
New User
I asked about reprogramming because of my concern with parts availability, figured if they could effectively remove the damaged component from the system then I could have my pickup while waiting for delivery.

I had read the threads concerning the addition of trailer brake control to pickups not originally equipped so I was reasonably sure that it could be done.

I believe the service writer told me it couldn't be done - he specifically said that there are different PCMs in trucks with or without brake control - because he didn't want to, already had a plan (wait on parts) and was busy with other things.

I hope that they are correct and this problem will be easily resolved but I am not convinced - they may be treating a symptom of the problem vice the cause - time will tell.

Last edited by BillTSD; 09-22-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: replaced a "b" with an "m"
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
I would tend to think that not only did you have the bad TBC, I had one in my 06, but your batteries maybe going down as well.

I'd get them checked. Even though your truck is newer the batteries seem to do wierd stuff.

I doubt it if you will ever have an issue again with the TBC.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BillTSD
I believe the service writer told me it couldn't be done - he specifically said that there are different PCMs in trucks with or without brake control - because he didn't want to, already had a plan (wait on parts) and was busy with other things.
I wouldn't be too hard on them for that. It is not the SW job to know details like that, and his job is to get it repaired for you under warranty and get you back on the road. Trying to disable it for the short term is an unnecessary detour from his mission. If you wanted the unit removed and disabled, that is a customer pays job. I am assuming you are still under warranty on a '10.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 PM
BillTSD
New User
I have the truck back! I am satisified with the dealer's performance - they only had the truck just over 24hrs, it does appear fixed and they even washed it. Nice guys.

From the invoice:
C/S (couldn't start?) TBS FAULT, BRAKE SYSTEM WARNING, TRANS WARNING, CK ENG LIGHT, THEFT LIGHT AT TIMES. VEHICLE WOULDN'T CRANK, THEFT LIGHT FLASHES. PUSHED INTO SHOP. EEC TEST, MANY CODES, P0500, B2900, U0073, U2011, AND OTHERS. PINPOINT TESTS. NUMEROUS MODULES NOT COMMUNICATING, PCM/TCM/ABS/TBC. CHECKED ALL FUSES, OK. R&R INST PANEL FOR ACCESS. CHECKED BODY AND ENGINE HARNESSES FOR ANY CHAFING, NONE. RETRIED STARTING, ENG STARTED. (lucky, I guess) CLEARED CODES, TBC MODULE STILL NOT COMM. INTERMITTENTLY OTHER MODULES NOT COMM. R&R INST PANEL CENTER BEZEL. R&R TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER AND DISCONNECTED. OTHER MODULES OPERATING NOMRALLY NOW. REPLACED TBC AND RETESTED, TBS OPERATES NORMALLY NOW. CLEARED CODES AND RETESTED, ALL PASSED. TBS WAS SHORTING OUT NETWORK INTERNALLY.

So I guess that was it. They also performed a multi point inspection and report that the batteries are 100%.

The good news is that the service writer stated that this is the first time they have ordered that part so the assumption is that failure is rare.

My question is - if I see the dreaded "trailer brake module fault" can I simply unplug the thing to prevent network comm errors or will the system need to be reset for that to be effective?

- Bill

Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BillTSD
From the invoice:
C/S (couldn't start?)

snip

My question is - if I see the dreaded "trailer brake module fault" can I simply unplug the thing to prevent network comm errors or will the system need to be reset for that to be effective?
C/S means Customer States. Meaning, that was the issue you brought it in for.

Their diagnosis sounds reasonable to me. I wouldn't worry about whether it will run with the TB unplugged. I think it should, but don't really know.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, it will run just fine with the iTBC unplugged. It will show you a fault in your DIC, but that is because it cannot communicate with the module.

your issue was that the fault (wow, there was actually a faulty TBC for once) was killing your entire CAN-BUS system which is what each and every module in the vehicle uses to know what is going on... from your radio, to your fuel injection system... if the modules cannot communicate with each other, they all do their own default thing. ...and sometimes that default is to not do anything.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 PM
tjhall
New User
I know this is an old post but I just recently purchased a 2010 F350 6.4L DRW CrewCab new (200 miles) from dealership. I've had it about 7 months now (currently under 5000 miles) and has been in the shop 3 times for some type of PCM problem. First time, was pulling 35ft 5th Wheel and it went into "Reduced Engine Power" mode and dealer said there was a TSB on it so they reflashed the PCM. Two weeks later I experienced the "Trailer Brake Module Fault" as indicated within this thread: started with just the display message then followed by "no start" with multiple system faults. Only way to start the truck was to remove the TBC fuse under passenger side dash. Fuse tested good but when reinserted... no start and the multiple faults displayed. Took it to dealership and after them having it for a week, they said they reset the PCM and can't find anything wrong. So today I was driving on freeway (not pulling a trailer) and TBC fault displayed followed by the endless display of faults, gauges went null, A/C stopped blowing cold, etc... immediately pulled over and removed the TBC fuse and continued my 1.5 hr trip home. Will be knocking on the dealership's door first thing in the morning.

Has this become a more common problem over the past few years?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM
jbillman
New User
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

First off...... Greetings to all, I'm a newb here....

Most importantly: Thank you for this thread/post. I have an '08 F350 Diesel, and had similar probs to ones listed above. Truck wouldn't start (no turnover), "check break system" fault and "trailer break fault" displaying. I also noticed that even with the key out and the doors locked, the guage cluster was still powered up and the stereo wasn't shutting off.

I found ya'll by googling the problem. This thread got me headed in the right direction for sure. Upon removing the fuse cover on the passenger side kick panel (was going to pull the tbc fuse), I found a lot of moisture (this may have been due to the weather/ac condensate, haven't gotten to the bottom of that yet). After blowing out the fuse box and surrounding areas VIGOROUSLY (I'm talking 15 minutes of 60 psi coming from a refridgerated and filtered system) with good dry air, she fired right up!

I wanted to make sure and pass this info on to others that might have similar symptoms, because after thinking about all the times I've had mud up to the doors on a truck, surely there are others that might get water in that area. I'm wondering if a lot of these cases of "tbc" module faults could be chalked up to moisture in the cab? Then the truck sits at the shop for a little while, things dry out, and walla, of course it was the TBC module! Just a thought.

Thanks again guys!

JB

Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Welcome to FTE, JB. Glad the info here was helpful to you. Stick around, and there is no end to the stuff you can learn.

I suggest you spend enough time to figure out where the moisture is coming from. Because it can cause many issues on these trucks. Leaking windshields is a common problem. And of course all the usual stuff like plugged HVAC drains, leaking heater cores, door weatherstriping, etc.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 PM
jbillman
New User
wow

That's scary! I hope I'm fairly trouble free from from this point on. This is my first F series truck, and I'd like to enjoy it!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 PM
craige12
New User
I have a 2010 Super Crew 4x4 Platinum that has 11,400 miles on it, bought it from CarMax in January. Last Thursday the tire pressure monitor fault light came on and then on and off periodically for the next few minutes. Funny thing though, I was sitting in a parking lot with the engine off and watching a DVD. After that, the tire pressure sensor light, parking brake engaged light, 4x2, and others that I can't remember off the top of my head lit up intermittently. The A/C stopped blowing cold when this was going on as well as the back up camera would not work. I brought it to the ford dealer and after 1 1/2 days of diagnosis, they said it is probably from the trailer brake control module. They have to order the part and then check all functions. The good thing is that I will be on vacation without cell reception for the next week and a half and the service guy said since it is under warranty they will do whatever it takes to make it right and don't need my approval for. Fingers crossed.

Craig

Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Mikhail
New User
Hello everyone,
First, thank you for sharing your findings and idaes. I have 08 SD Lariat and yestrday on start up "trailer brake module failure" indicated in the mesage center. after hiting reset made it home. Checked for abvious such as fuses and moisture around the plug. Still the same. Can anyone suggest what else might cause this problem before taking it to a dealer?
Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2010 Trailer brake module fault