6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bedplate resealed, still leaking oil...now what?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
solaratomic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedplate resealed, still leaking oil...now what?!

Dealer pulled my engine and resealed the bedplate about 3-4 weeks ago. Crawled up under the truck yesterday(I do about once a month) low and behold...OIL! Called service manager on his cell, yes I have his cell #, he recognized my voice too (tell me how much that sux), he said to bring it in tuesday they would put it in the air and check where it's leaking from, he stated they put dye in the oil when they changed the oil when motor was out. Question is what's the next step, assuming it's the bedplate again? Shortblock...if so it's definately getting studs this time. Never seen an oil leak that can't be fixed on a motor w/54K on it.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since it's still under warranty your next step is to let them fix it. Since the ball is now rolling it is in their, the dealers, court. You want to leave it there.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:17 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
What kind of leak is it?

Is it just a hanging droplet that never really drops off when parked?

I have that (and have had for quite awhile). I have not worried about it, but I may make an issue of it near the time that warranty runs out.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bismic
What kind of leak is it?

I have that (and have had for quite awhile). I have not worried about it, but I may make an issue of it near the time that warranty runs out.

I've had a similar thing goin pretty much since new on my 05. Never any droplets just some residue in the rear main seal area.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bottom of my engine and front of the trans are wet with oil, but it has never dripped, so I'm not worried about it.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
solaratomic
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
What kind of leak is it?

It's the hanging drop. However it was falling on the ground previously and it all started with the hanging drop. Seems like it would drip when the engine got really hot, like towing in 90+ degree conditions. I've made 5 trips now to the dealer trying to get this ironed out so it's become kind of a vendetta now.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 PM
solaratomic
Senior User
Based on the responses I have received I don't think I asked my question clearly. What is the next step in the "repair chain" for the dealer to follow to remedy the situation? Is it a Short block, bed plate gasket again, etc. I applogize for my lack of clarity. BTW I have already paid the deductible twice for this leak...fun times at Stivers Ford.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:42 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
3 to 4 weeks ago and its leaking again? Sounds like they didn't do it right the first time. Missed some silicone on the front/rear cover joints or something.

I have done a few of these and its a poor design. What I have done is put a light coating of that gray silicone that is used to seal the front/rear cover joints on the bedplate gaskets. This makes just a little better seal and keeps that "seep" from appearing. So far I have had good luck with it.

Make sure this leak isn't being mistaken for a cam sensor o-ring. The outermost o-ring likes to give up and then the oil runs down the bedplate seam a little.

Its in the dealers hands to fix this though, so all you have to worry about is how much sweet time they take before you get to drive a leak free truck. I don't about other dealers but our Ford dealer is horrible at turning around a vehicle to the customer.

Edit: I don't think the dealer would install a new engine. I would be cheaper to pay labor to repair again. You'll have to wait for them to diag the problem more closely to know for sure what they need to do. I don't know how much control you really have in the matter if its warranty.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by solaratomic
Based on the responses I have received I don't think I asked my question clearly. What is the next step in the "repair chain" for the dealer to follow to remedy the situation? Is it a Short block, bed plate gasket again, etc. I applogize for my lack of clarity. BTW I have already paid the deductible twice for this leak...fun times at Stivers Ford.
No offense but if they, you, can't see it laying under the truck! How do we tell you which one?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Originally Posted by adamtheman16
3 to 4 weeks ago and its leaking again? Sounds like they didn't do it right the first time. Missed some silicone on the front/rear cover joints or something.

I have done a few of these and its a poor design. What I have done is put a light coating of that gray silicone that is used to seal the front/rear cover joints on the bedplate gaskets. This makes just a little better seal and keeps that "seep" from appearing. So far I have had good luck with it.

Make sure this leak isn't being mistaken for a cam sensor o-ring. The outermost o-ring likes to give up and then the oil runs down the bedplate seam a little.

Its in the dealers hands to fix this though, so all you have to worry about is how much sweet time they take before you get to drive a leak free truck. I don't about other dealers but our Ford dealer is horrible at turning around a vehicle to the customer.

Edit: I don't think the dealer would install a new engine. I would be cheaper to pay labor to repair again. You'll have to wait for them to diag the problem more closely to know for sure what they need to do. I don't know how much control you really have in the matter if its warranty.
Great information Adam. Thanks! I have heard that the gray silicone ya'll use is VERY good.

solaratomic -
They put dye in it, so hopefully it can more easily be resolved now.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
solaratomic
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
No offense but if they, you, can't see it laying under the truck! How do we tell you which one?
I can see it on the bellhousing beaded up...just a little drop chillin, looks to be coming from inside the bellhousing. But based on all the information I have gotten here I know it could be coming from anywhere.

BTW they have replaced the cam sensor o-ring and the glow plug harnesses twice

Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
solaratomic
Senior User
Originally Posted by adamtheman16
So based on this should I call ford and tell them the situation and take it to another dealer? The service manager keeps giving my truck to the same tech and he has screwed up twice since I've been taking my truck to them. Once he left the hub vaccum line unsecured and it got on the exhaust manifold and melted in half. They fixed that. When he pulled the engine he didn't clamp the lower radiator hose securely to the water pump and I had a puddle of coolant under my truck. Fixed that in the parking lot at work b/c I didn't want to give up my truck for another 2 days.

We had a fire equipment service guy come by the other day driving a 6.0, he highly recommended a local mechcanic/dealer to me saying he/they had taken very good care of his truck. It's a little further to drive but based on this information this may be the way to go.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ok just an fyi here there is an update from ford on how to fix a bedplate leak. run a bead on both the plate and the block with ford's anaerobic gasket maker, then install the new seals.
permatex makes a like product that can be used as well.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
I had never thought of anaerobic sealer. That would work well. Thing I was always concerned about using anything on the surfaces is the potential for main bearing clearances to change. Anaerobic is so thin that it would never make a difference. The gray silicone coating the gasket works well too though.

Funny that International never had a remedy of any kind for this leak. Unless they just changed the service manual for bedplate install and didn't tell anyone they did. I haven't done one in about a year.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ya its been out for about 6-8 months in the form of an ssm bulitin. it may have made it in the books by now. I havent done one in awhile.

the effect on the bearing gaps is why I would not use ta-29 (aka grey silicon)

Quick Reply: Bedplate resealed, still leaking oil...now what?!