1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Attention "Canyon Red" Interior Trucks: Sun Visor Replacement Mod!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Attention "Canyon Red" Interior Trucks: Sun Visor Replacement Mod!

I have a 1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat with "Canyon Red" upholstery, trim code "D." I got tired of my sun visors falling down when I drove the truck and the constant bouncing. No matter what I did, my visors never would seem to tighten up and stay in one place. I noticed last week the corners were starting to crack and come apart because of the constant rubbing on the headliner. I decided it was time to replace them and off to the junkyard I went.

The dropping and bouncing problem is because the 1980 - 1986 year sun visors do not use end clips. In checking the junkyards, I discovered that the later 1987 models used slighter different visors that use end clips to hold the visors in place. So I decided to see if I could find some that reasonably matched my Canyon Red upholstery.

Ford changed their red to "Scarlet Red" in 1987, a bit brighter than my "Canyon Red." The 1987 "Lariat" models offered color-matched carpeted sun visors, but against my headliner, the brighter red didn't quite match my darker red headliner and upholstery. I almost grabbed some from a 1987 Lariat, when I noticed a 1987 XL, also with a red interior. The only difference was that the seat and visors in this truck were a red vinyl, just like what was in my 1985 Lariat. In taking a closer look, I found that these visors were an EXACT MATCH to my original Canyon Red sun visors, except they had end clips! So I grabbed both visors and clips for my truck, and you would never know these were not original to my truck!

It seems that even though Ford went to "Scarlet Red" in 1987, they only changed the dashboard, headliner, carpet, and lower door panel upholstery. Most of the plastic trim pieces, like the sun visors, speaker grills (these were moved to the lower door panel in 1987 and used as door vents instead) and even the seat, was left in the darker, "Canyon Red" color.

Just thought I would pass this information along to anyone else who is suffering from sagging, bouncy sun visors with a Canyon Red interior!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great tip, Lariat.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know about Scarlet Red, but my '87 is Light Canyon Red (code 2E) while the interior is a darker almost burgundy color.
It's good to know that this is common.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I don't know about Scarlet Red, but my '87 is Light Canyon Red (code 2E) while the interior is a darker almost burgundy color.
The exterior paint on my 1985 F150 is also "Light Canyon Red." I think this color was used from 1984 - 1987.

The interior color changed from "Canyon Red" to "Scarlet Red" for the 1987 re-design. As I said, I had to look in person, but the "Scarlet Red" is indeed a slightly brighter red than the "Canyon Red." The "Scarlet Red" has more of a deeper red on the dashboard, carpets, and headliner, while the "Canyon Red" seems to have more of a "rust" color dashboard, carpets, and headliner. The difference isn't really that noticeable until you do a side-by-side comparison. For example, the carpeted lower door/map pockets see very little sun and the "Scarlet Red" is definitely a brighter shade of red than the "Canyon Red" door/map pockets. The same is true for the headliner. That is why I did not use the carpeted sun visors that I found on a 1987 "Lariat" model. But both interiors seem to use the same shade/color seat, vinyl sun visors (on XL models), and plastic trim pieces.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"The dropping and bouncing problem is because the 1980 - 1986 year sun visors do not use end clips. In checking the junkyards, I discovered that the later 1987 models used slighter different visors that use end clips to hold the visors in place."

My 1985 F150 has no headliner other than the standard metal ceiling. I want to use some of those visors with the clips. How do the clips install, and will they work with the metal? Or is there another option for keeping them in place and not flopping around?

Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
PM sent, Grubbworm.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Right back at you, Lariat 85.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
The exterior paint on my 1985 F150 is also "Light Canyon Red." I think this color was used from 1984 - 1987.

The interior color changed from "Canyon Red" to "Scarlet Red" for the 1987 re-design. I did not use the carpeted sun visors that I found on a 1987 "Lariat" model. But both interiors seem to use the same shade/color seat, vinyl sun visors (on XL models), and plastic trim pieces.
I have a basic Custom model so no carpet or upholstered door panels.
Thanks again for the info!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM sent, Grubbworm.
Could you post the answer to attaching the visor holders to the cab ceiling. I'm in the same boat and was curious what the solution was.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
This is for you Smashclash, I am posting Lariat85's answer to my question.

"Hey! My truck has a carpeted headliner, and I had to drill into the headliner to install the screws to hold the screws in place. Don't worry though...I am pretty sure the roof is double walled. Just grab the screws from the clips when you get them and don't go any deeper than that. Just remember to measure TWICE, and drill ONCE!"

Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 PM
smashclash
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
This is for you Smashclash, I am posting Lariat85's answer to my question.

"Hey! My truck has a carpeted headliner, and I had to drill into the headliner to install the screws to hold the screws in place. Don't worry though...I am pretty sure the roof is double walled. Just grab the screws from the clips when you get them and don't go any deeper than that. Just remember to measure TWICE, and drill ONCE!"

Thanks grub. my truck also has the carpeted headliner. Let me know how you make out with this project. I'll use you as my guinea pig.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
I have a 1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat with "Canyon Red" upholstery, trim code "D." I got tired of my sun visors falling down when I drove the truck and the constant bouncing. No matter what I did, my visors never would seem to tighten up and stay in one place. I noticed last week the corners were starting to crack and come apart because of the constant rubbing on the headliner. I decided it was time to replace them and off to the junkyard I went.

The dropping and bouncing problem is because the 1980 - 1986 year sun visors do not use end clips. In checking the junkyards, I discovered that the later 1987 models used slighter different visors that use end clips to hold the visors in place. So I decided to see if I could find some that reasonably matched my Canyon Red upholstery.

Ford changed their red to "Scarlet Red" in 1987, a bit brighter than my "Canyon Red." The 1987 "Lariat" models offered color-matched carpeted sun visors, but against my headliner, the brighter red didn't quite match my darker red headliner and upholstery. I almost grabbed some from a 1987 Lariat, when I noticed a 1987 XL, also with a red interior. The only difference was that the seat and visors in this truck were a red vinyl, just like what was in my 1985 Lariat. In taking a closer look, I found that these visors were an EXACT MATCH to my original Canyon Red sun visors, except they had end clips! So I grabbed both visors and clips for my truck, and you would never know these were not original to my truck!

It seems that even though Ford went to "Scarlet Red" in 1987, they only changed the dashboard, headliner, carpet, and lower door panel upholstery. Most of the plastic trim pieces, like the sun visors, speaker grills (these were moved to the lower door panel in 1987 and used as door vents instead) and even the seat, was left in the darker, "Canyon Red" color.

Just thought I would pass this information along to anyone else who is suffering from sagging, bouncy sun visors with a Canyon Red interior!
Originally Posted by smashclash
Thanks grub. my truck also has the carpeted headliner. Let me know how you make out with this project. I'll use you as my guinea pig.

That was Lariat85's answer to my previous question. I was just posting what he pm'd me. My truck has no headliner, that's why I was asking how the clips attached.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's actually two holes that need to be drilled,at least on the clips I have that I got from an 88 Bronco.The clips have a little stem on the bottom that inserts into one hole in the roof,and then the screw hole.I guess you could just cut the stems off,but it helps to center the clips.I'm gonna work on enlarging the hole on my clips,and see if I can get it to hold the 80-86 Vinyl Visors.I don't really feel like swapping to 87-91 visors,I wanna keep the original one.