6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel Filters - OEM or aftermarket ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:51 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filters - OEM or aftermarket ?

Sometimes OEM filter are better and sometimes aftermarket filter are better.

As for the 6.0 PSD.

Is the Genuine Motorcraft Fuel Filters Kit (FD4604) better or is there a better aftermarket.

Please do point out the differences.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can buy filter cartridges for a Parker P3 fuel conditioning unit, they come in 10, 20, and 30 micron filtration sizes for the big one.

The little one I think is 10 micron.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would use the Motorcraft filters. The aftermarket has proven to be a problem.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Racor is the manufacturer and they supply Motorcraft and International/Navistar. The fuel filters are cheaper from a Navistar dealer (for a VT275). Just make sure it has the white "water membrane" around the outside of the big primary filter.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:52 PM
UaVaj
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
I would use the Motorcraft filters. The aftermarket has proven to be a problem.
What kind of problem? Please do point out the differences in design/manufacturing that causes these problems. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a look at this thread from the 6.0 tech folder sticky at the top of the page:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...-look-for.html

Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by UaVaj
What kind of problem? Please do point out the differences in design/manufacturing that causes these problems. Thanks.
Some aftermarket filters have been shown to have different dimensions (oil filter fitment issues are specifically well documented).

Ford will void any remaining warranty if you did not use the proper filters (if you have any warranty remaining).

The aquabloc membrane was part of a patent for the fuel filters, so many (maybe all??) aftermarkets have not included them. The aquabloc is imprtant as it keeps water from reaching the injectors.

Other aftermarket fuel filters have shown to plug more easily and/or bypass when plugged. Both of which shorten the life of the injectors.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
theres also a few videos on youtube that show oil filters and the differance.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
This topic gets me a TON of upset pm's. I frequently get acccused of blindly recommending Ford filters and sometimes my capability for independent thought and reason is questioned .

Just got a similar pm on TDS.

I really don't understand why people defend aftermarket filters so emotionally. It is almost like they are believing that these companies single handedly are saving us from some perceived overpriced thievery of the dealerships.

What makes the aftermarket filter companies more "noble" than the dealership? I wonder where the aftermarket companies get their filters made .............. actually no I don't!

Don't folks know that it is actually RACOR that I (we) are advocating (and not Ford or even International)?

Some of the most shady people I have met in the Industrial world are filter salesmen - quoting efficiency ratings, loading capabilities, micron filtration specs, graphs, charts, etc. All with a slant and part of the story kept secret.

Oh well, my personal pressure relief device just "re-seated", so ........ to each his/her own I guess.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 PM
phoenixrhino2
Junior User
Updated Part Number FD-4616

If you order an After Market filter, remember that Ford did a part change on the filter to a new one that has a new disign to keep water from passing through (leaking past the seat). I will try and get a picture of the new one..

See Link below

Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Motorcraft FD-4616 Fuel/Water Seperator Filters(FD4616): Pick Up & Excursion-REPLACES MOTORCRAFT FD-4604-NEW UPDATED

SKU: FD-4616
  • Manufacturer: Motorcraft
  • Ford number: 3C34-9N074-BA/3C3Z9N184CA
  • Part Type: Fuel Filter/Water Seperator
  • Fits Year(s): 2003-07
  • Engine Type: 4.5 & 6.0 Liter
  • Make: Ford
  • Model(s): All Pick up trucks
  • Shipping Details Details
  • Specials & Discounts: Details
  • Country Of Origin: USA

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Just a point of clarification:

Racor is Parker.

So when I advocate for Parker, I am advocating for Racor.

Parker-Racor is the factory OEM for Ford, International, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by bismic
Some of the most shady people I have met in the Industrial world are filter salesmen .

funny the most shady people Ive met are used car sales men, next to that would be the moc and bg sales people.

now here is my real world thing on this.
I have tested so many trucks for fuel pressure concerns its not funny. every truck I put an injector in to.
heres is what I have found. there is a company that makes a gold colored fuel filter with black ends. that filter has a restriction of 10 psi that when replaced with an oem filter the pressure returns to normal. these filter wer new that the customer had just went and installed.

ok oil filters we had a problem not long ago with a truck that needed 8 injectors. we removed them and took one apart. it was full of fuel filter material.

Ive done a few ipr valves do to failed oil filters as well.

now if you go over to the .org and know about trusteds oil cooler relocate kit that wasted an engine. hmmmm.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cheezit
funny the most shady people Ive met are used car sales men, next to that would be the moc and bg sales people.

now here is my real world thing on this.
I have tested so many trucks for fuel pressure concerns its not funny. every truck I put an injector in to.
heres is what I have found. there is a company that makes a gold colored fuel filter with black ends. that filter has a restriction of 10 psi that when replaced with an oem filter the pressure returns to normal. these filter wer new that the customer had just went and installed.

ok oil filters we had a problem not long ago with a truck that needed 8 injectors. we removed them and took one apart. it was full of fuel filter material.

Ive done a few ipr valves do to failed oil filters as well.

now if you go over to the .org and know about trusteds oil cooler relocate kit that wasted an engine. hmmmm.
Absolutely!!! And the stories go on and on when you frequently watch 10+ 6.0L forums.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Messing around with filtration is something that is far more difficult than it appears.

The "art" is tightly controlled by the big filter boys like Parker/Racor who dominate the market.

The product appear to be simple to make.

Who have not took apart filters and muttered "I can do this".

Does it not appear that every hungry Chinese, Indian, Russian, German, etc. firm in the filters business have also done the same?

The fact is, it is ... not as easy as it appears to do the job.

It is just like the auto electronics business... components look very simple.

But just try to get a bill of materials, go out and buy the parts and build the identical part --- like the FICM ---- and see how far you get.

Now onto a personal story....

Many moons ago, I bought an air filter for a Ford 5.4 gasser... from FRAM.

This is Allied-Signal.

Not known to be a schlock.

Well, the filter failed.

Apparently I was not the only one that had the problem.

FRAM ended up paying for my repairs.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

franz oil filter......
remember when a roll of ***** tickets was the awnser to filtering

Quick Reply: Fuel Filters - OEM or aftermarket ?