6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

OEM Oil and Fuel Filters... What To Look For

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
OEM Oil and Fuel Filters... What To Look For

Here is a photo of the Racor made fuel filter showing the patented "Aqua Bloc" media on the large HFCM fuel filter. If you are using a non-OEM spec'd fuel filter you are risking and/or giving up water seperation benefits of this media and what Racor and Ford designed for our trucks. The HFCM housing is a sediment filter and water seperator... without the 'Aqua-Bloc" you risk having water sent to your injectors which will cause poor performance and/or destruction of your injectors!!!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 11-20-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Racor Made 6.0L PSD Oil Filter

Here is a photo of a Racor made (OEM supplier) oil filter for the 6.0L PSD. Note that the top is different as well as the bottom gasket being made of felt/cotton... and it has been noted that some "will-fit" filters are not 100% the same size.

Racor holds a patent for this filter and they designed the oil filter housing as well... and they work togther to provide 100% reliable filtering capabilities and proper oil pressure. Using non Racor made oil filters are risky and may void one's warrenty. Racor has issued PDf files of this side-by-side comparison due to the "issues" involved with "will-fit" filters causing damage to motors and/or the filter housing and drain-back valves inside the housing.

As of October 2006, the Racor made filter may read "Made in Germany" or "Made in the USA". This is due to Racor moving production of the filter to the USA... therefore no difference between these filters... regardless of where Racor makes them.

Now you have a picture of what to look for...

Attached Images  

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 11-20-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
"Will-Fit" Oil Filter (Do not Use -Illustration Purposes Only)

Here is a photo of a "will-fit" oil filter for the 6.0L PSD motor.

Note the different top and bottom design and materials. This is due to Racor holding the patent on the OEM filter and the filter housing that they designed for Int'l and Ford. This is an example of an oil filter that should NOT be used... as compared to the photo above (Racor made) of one that should be used!!!

As of 11/2006, it appears that Racor makes oil filters for themselves, Motorcraft and Fram (Fram is an official licencee and buys from Racor).

Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Outlaw07
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beachbum,

Is the Autolite filter essentially the Fram filter you discuss? They are side by side with the Motorcraft filter at the local Wal-Mart, but about $5 cheaper. I've pulled both out of the box and can discern no difference.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Outlaw07
Beachbum,

Is the Autolite filter essentially the Fram filter you discuss? They are side by side with the Motorcraft filter at the local Wal-Mart, but about $5 cheaper. I've pulled both out of the box and can discern no difference.
Am not aware of the Autolite brand and what their filters look like.

I guess look and compare and make your own decision if they have the felt/cotton bottom gasket and if the patent numbers on the bottom are a match.

For me.. I buy the Motorcraft brand and never worry (Racor made of course). I cut the top of the box off, write down my mileage and staple the receipt for the oil and filter to it as proof of purchase and when I changed my oil and filter. Keeps it all together and if ever a problem.. it just looks good to have a motorcraft oil filter box top with all receipts stapled to it... but that is me and any way someone wants to do it is fine.

Have heard that with certain warrenty "issues" that Ford wants to see receipts for all work performed and if not a a dealer... then proof of oil and filter purchase.

Just like the IRS... god record keeping and receipts are a must!!!!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Below is a link (hope it cuts and paste OK)... from Racor (Parker-Hannifin Co.). It is one part of their new monthly newsletter... and this month they speak of "cartridge oil filters"... just like the ones on our 6.0L motors!!!! They also speak about how the filter works and there is a section on Int'l and Ford's version of their "cartridge filter technology".

http://www.parker.com/racor/powerRep...werReport3.pdf

Here is a Racor bulletin they have on their website... informative reading...

http://www.parker.com/racor/Prodbul/...RevOEMApps.pdf

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 11-20-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:26 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I pulled the Fram and the Motorcraft from the box at Wallyworld over the weekend. They were identical and had the required patent# on them--both made in USA. I would, however, urge that everyone do the same if you have the opportunity as things constantly change in the filter world. The Fram is about $5 cheaper than the motorcraft.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I pulled the Fram and the Motorcraft from the box at Wallyworld over the weekend. They were identical and had the required patent# on them--both made in USA. I would, however, urge that everyone do the same if you have the opportunity as things constantly change in the filter world. The Fram is about $5 cheaper than the motorcraft.
Yes... very true....

WIX filters used to be Racor licenced in '03 and '04... but then WIX decided to do it cheaper and has tried to get around the Racor patent by making minor modifications... so what is "approved" today... may not be tomorrow... just ask the uses of WIX 6.0L oil filters how they feel about hearing that their filters do not meet OEM standards and that the oil in the filter housing drains back/down into the pan when it should not do so... and causes low oil pressure at start-up!!!

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 11-20-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:51 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have also noticed that the Racor filters have the patent number on them and the will fit filters do not.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:21 PM
mjlevi
Senior User
I have to say that the Fram Filter at Wally World here in upstate NY, has gone up in price to 18.99 (was 15.99) and the Motorcraft is now 21.99 (was 19.99), and both are identical, but a "made in the USA" stamp, instead of Germany....

Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
My local Wally World was out of the Motorcraft Filters so I looked at the end of the filter shelf at the Fram and dug thru the front four (they were labeled "made in the USA and not wrapped in plastic) the last 6 boxes were kinda dusty, but the filters were wrapped in plastic and labeled "made in germany". I felt like "score!!" and snatched up all 6 of them. The MC filters when available are $21.99the Fram are $17.69, so I wound up spending about $105.00 in just filters, but worth it as it looks like the price of filters might be going up.

.......Beachbum thanks for the reply. Looks like I'm up and going now. I'm thinking it was either my ISP or might have been something else, like err....the "gods"

Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
travelman
New User
So what about the filters sold by Oilguard? Co-workers sware by them. They look and measure the same as Racors (even has the felt bottom). I think the part number is EPS-2016.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Btravelen
Elder User
The last Autolites I checked were identical to Motorcraft and Fram. Haven't seen them lately though.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by travelman
So what about the filters sold by Oilguard? Co-workers sware by them. They look and measure the same as Racors (even has the felt bottom). I think the part number is EPS-2016.
Oilguard sells two different filters for the 6.0 PSD. The $11 "will fit" copy that will ruin your motor and the $37 Racor. The Racors can be purchased at your local Wal Mart for $15 - $20. About 1/2 the price of what Oilgaurd charges for the samething.

And just as a reminder do not use the "will fit" copies in your engine, they are physically different to try and circumvent the Racor patent and the do not work correctly in the 6.0.

The will fit filters on the Oilguard site are model #2016 $11.00, do Not use these.

The Racor filters on the Oilguard site are model #PF-L2016 $37.75 (min 3 per order)

http://www.oilguard.com/Merchant4/me...ry_Code=racor1

Hope this helps

Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
powderB28
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Outlaw07
Beachbum,

I just bought a couple of these at my local Wally World. They are the same part # as the Motorcraft - 2016 and they were exactly the same as the Fram and MC. Same patents and everythig. There were the cheapest of the three at $14.62 each and they had the felt gasket on the bottom of them and they were the "Made in Germay" and wrapped in plastic. I think I might go back this week and pick up a few more of them just to save me down the road, especially if the prices are starting to go up. Hopefully I won't have to buy oil filters for a couple years.

Quick Reply: OEM Oil and Fuel Filters... What To Look For