1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

OD

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-1999, 12:33 AM
James Tsai
Old 03-15-2002, 11:24 PM
yoboomboom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OD

My overdrive "OFF" light in my 2000 XLT is flashing after driving the vehicle approx 4/10th's of a mile. When it is flashing I can not switch the OD off or on. This just started two days ago. If I turn off the engine and restart my Expedition it is fine. This happens once in a while not all the time. Today it happened 2 out of the 4 times I drove the bloody thing.

Also, the tranny was surging a few times which progressivly got worse. I took it in and had the fluid replaced, etc. It was running fine for about 3,000 miles. Now it is surging occassionaly once again.

The guy at the shop told me that transmissions should last longer than 43,000 miles. I now have 46,320 on it. Of course, this all happens after the warranty has ended. I honestly don't think I should pay for the repair however will battle it out with Ford if I have to.

Any input would be appreciated. We are taking it into the dealership on Monday morning. Any ideas or input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Brig

Old 03-19-2002, 06:43 AM
Petrol
Elder User
OD

I agree your trans should last more then 43,000 miles, way more. Three out of my past four company trucks have been F-150's with the last two (still have the 2000) being 5.4L w/ auto trans. I am quite hard on these trucks in terms of heavy footed, often loaded, run up the mountain foot to the floor (gas or brake) and easily get 150,000 trouble free miles from the trans.

You might try resetting the onboard computer first by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then reconnecting it. That seemed to fix the trans trouble I had in a dodge ram which then proceeded to go another 65,000 miles without any further shifting problems!?

Petrol
99 XLT 5.4L

Old 03-19-2002, 09:28 AM
yoboomboom
New User
OD

Petrol,

Thanks for your information. I saw this same solution (unhook the battery) on another website but didn't try it. We took it in yesterday and they told us it was the Accumlator Regulator! Approx. $700+ to fix it (if that is what is really wrong). I sent my letter out to Ford yesterday. I found out that there is over 50 different TSB's out on Accumlator Regulators and ONLY on Ford Vehicles! Anywhere from 1992's to current models. I used that as my ammo along with the fact that a trans should last longer than 46,000 miles. I am sure I have a long fight ahead of me. But I am willing battle this one out! If this doesn't fix my problem then I will try unhooking the battery as you suggested. Thanks again!

Brig

Old 03-19-2002, 09:39 AM
michaelskerrett
Senior User
Post OD

That flashing OD light is trying to tell you that the transmission computer has found a fault in the same manner the Check Engine light tells one that the ECS has a fault it its memory. The guy at the shop should have known this, or you are going to the wrong shop. The scan tool used to find engine problems can be used to list the power train problems. Cycling power on the truck will reset both computers (don't forget to drive the 10 miles as recommended after you reconnect power) and clear faults in memory, but may not correct the transmission problems. Might be best to beg, borrow or buy a code reader and list out the numbers. That will point to why the light is flashing and will give you something to tell the transmission shop if you need to effect a repair.

Old 03-19-2002, 09:46 AM
yoboomboom
New User
OD

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Mar-02 AT 10:48 AM (EST)]Michael,

We took it to our local Ford Dealership and had their tranny man look at it. I have researched enough to know that the computer codes should tell them what is going on however they came back with the accumulator regulator as the issue and stated that "more than likely" this would fix our problems. They also stated that they saw that the accumulator was "coming apart". I really didn't like how they where hesitant that this is the acutal problem. Would this be a valid reason? What in the heck is a accumulator anyhow?

My issue with all this is 1). Paying for a repair on a tranny that has only 46,000 miles on it. 2) paying for a repair that is not going to fix whatever problem it is having. Thanks for all your help!

Brig

Old 03-20-2002, 08:54 AM
michaelskerrett
Senior User
Post OD

Accumulator Regulator is kind of redundant as an accumulator is a type of regualtor by design. The accumulator is a pressure regulator device attached in line with the primary system pump in or very near the torque converter. It is supposed to reduce surges in hydraulic pressure due to shifting, stoping and acceleration. If it is "coming apart" there will be bits of metal and other debris in your fluid and the transmission will shift apruptly in both directions. I don't think you should ignore this problem. I also agree that a transmission should last longer than the mileage you indicate, the ones on my trucks are usually problem free for 3 times that life. Call around to transmission shops for estimates and opinions. If you decide on a rebuild they will probably need your truck for 3 days to do the work.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:13 AM
yoboomboom
New User
OD

My husband ok'd the replacement of the Accumulator yesterday morning. They had the truck ready to go by the evening. The electronic diagnosis code was P0782. The pressure test code was P0782. The paperworks states: indicates 2-3 shift concern RR transmission. Recondition Valve Body replaced Accumulator Piston and roadtest. The total bill was $629.41. It now drives like it did when it was brand new. It seems that they have fixed the problem.

I did send Ford a very nice letter regarding this. Hopefully they will reimburse us. If not, then I am glad it didn't take a complete transmission overhaul to fix the problem. Thanks for all your help!

Brig