Sponsored by: Moser

SMS Carpet Total Let Down.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SMS Carpet Total Let Down.

I ordered new carpet for my 73 F100 last week from SMS Auto Fabrics. I thought I was gettin a carpet tailor made to my truck. I paid 231 bucks. Well carpet came in today. Its a peice of crap carpet from ACC! Its to short side to side and over a foot to long from front to back. Doesn't conform to the floor of the truck at all either. I told them to either figure out how to get a better carpet or I want my money back. This carpet resembles nothing about all the good things their website says.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
not to be a dick but have you tried laying it out in the sun for a day? a lot of times that helps. The stuff is all folded up in the box and it needs to get hot to lay out right.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Carpet laid down pretty good. But the shape of the mold is all off. It doesn't follow the floor pan the whole length. It starts going up the "hump" about two inches to soon. About a half inch of the floor is showing on both sides where the carpet doesnt go across.

Its gonna be alot of work but Iv'e decided Im just going to cut, heat, glue until it fits like it should. The next carpet will probably be the same so no need waiting another week for another one. One day when I do a frame off resto Ill just take the cab to a shop and have them custom make the carpet with the floor to go by so its right.

I just don't feel like everything that it says on their website is true about the carpet being high quality. Its not the best but its not the worst either.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be pissed too. I was gonna order from them. But if it's just regular ACC carpet.....you might as well just order some from JCwhitney.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
I purchased carpet online back in March of 09 from LoneStarCarpets (Ebay Seller). They were great to work with. Sent be good sized carpet samples, different weights, colors, backings, etc. I wanted to have my Carpet go up about a foot on the back wall, so my speaker boxes didn't rattle against the bare metal in the back...they actually added a couple of feet (free). The side to side measurements were more than enough...and the form was dead on...you can look them up...I guess they are still there...if I remember correct shipping was fast as well...Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
TheDesertRat
Senior User
I ordered up a full set from this company: Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Automotive Replacement Carpets They sent samples of the carpet as well as headliner samples. My carpet and headliner will be in next week so we will see how it goes.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Rockauto.com has the acc carpet for like $115 with no padding.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
ArcadeTom
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, When my interior shop ordered my carpet for me, it came from ACC (I think) and they needed to know which floor pan was in the truck as it would determine the size of the molded transmission hump. Since my truck originally came with a FMX (and was not listed as an option with ACC), I found that physically the FMX and C4 are very similar in outside dimensions and I ordered the one for the C4. Mine came in and fit perfectly.
Did you order yours like that or..?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
I told SMS I don't have time to wait for another carpet so Im putting the truck back together with what I got. After working on it all day I have it looking acceptable. Lots of heat, cutting, and glue. SMS said they were willing to work with me and get it right so hopefully they will send me some extra material to add since the carpet came up about an inch to short side to side.

I may shop with them again in the future since they seem to care about their cutomers adn want to get it right, but I will just have to see about that. I am not going to give them a bad rap because of my experience. I just wanted to let people know that all the good things on their website may not be completely true.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't remember where I got my carpet, but ACC carpet sounds about right. Mine too was a bit short side to side and and a little long in the front. I spent some time with a hand steamer and got it to look pretty decent. I have the floor rhinolined and the carpet is black so you can't tell too much on the sides. But I figured for just over $100, I couldn't expect perfect.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Blackfoot Big Block
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
There have been numerous threads on carpet and I try and warn people about ACC's product. The fit is poor and the carpet material itself is lousy. It is nowhere near the quality of the oem Ford carpeting.

I genuinely hope that someone starts a new company to compete with ACC and offers a decent product.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blackfoot Big Block
There have been numerous threads on carpet and I try and warn people about ACC's product. The fit is poor and the carpet material itself is lousy. It is nowhere near the quality of the oem Ford carpeting.

I genuinely hope that someone starts a new company to compete with ACC and offers a decent product.
SMS didn't tell me they get their carpet from ACC when I made my order. I got in touch with SMS again and they are going to send me more material to place where the carpet came up short.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Blackfoot Big Block
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SMS's website leads one to believe their carpet is a quality product. They don't mention ACC by name and they (SMS) try to come across as a supplier of high quality fabric, etc.

This is what I wrote in a thread about carpeting within the last month or so:

Originally Posted by Blackfoot Big Block
Just for fun I called SMS and spoke with a salesman. Their carpet is also from ACC.

He said "They're the only game in town". I replied "...that from personal experience ACC's carpet was crappy". I was somewhat surprised when he said "I don't disagree with you".

So, I guess if you want carpeting for your truck you might as well shop based on price alone because it's the same **it.

I suspect that if one searches through Hemmings Motor News they could find several companies that sell high quality automotive carpet. The downside is you would have to cut and fit it yourself, or find an upholstery shop that can do it.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where does LMC get their carpet from? ive never heard anything bout LMC carpet not fittin.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 AM
johnboy427
Posting Guru
Don't know about there Ford stuff but I helped a buddy put some LMC carpet in a 72 C10 and it fit really well and looked stock.
-John

Quick Reply: SMS Carpet Total Let Down.