General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Remanufactured ammo

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remanufactured ammo

Anyone have any opinions on the use of remanufactured ammunition? Typically, they're bulk reloaded using once-shot brass that's not deformed.

Cabela's and a bunch of internet speciality stores offer bulk packages of reman ammo in lots of 100 to 500 rounds for almost all calibers.

I can get 100 round boxes of 45ACP for around 35 bucks, plus shipping (shipping to Illinois is another story) but here in Cook County, I'll spend 30 bucks or more just for one box of factory rounds.

I don't get to shoot a lot, but I like to hit the range when I have a few extra bucks. I don't really have the space to do my own reloading, although I've never reloaded anything beyond shotshells.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with ammo like this? Any feeding issues or the like.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can`t see that it would be any different from home loaded once fired cases.
As for space required I used to reload .45ACP using a tong tool. Only needed the kitchen table for a couple of hours and then everyting packed away in the box again. Very time consuming though.
Ammo became cheap and I stopped reloading but the way prices are going now I may give it a go again.
Used to cast the bullets but that was a PITA.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reloads from a reputable dealer can be very good. Reloads from ranges and such are all over the quality spectrum. All depends on who did the work and their equipment and components. I would not worry about a Cabelas reload, probably good as new and backed by their reputation.

If shopping around... Take a good look at the reloads. Any physical damage such as dents dirt, cracks, shaved metal curliques, not seated primers etc would be the first level of inspection. If you see any of these problems I would probably not buy. Next, if you do buy, try some out at the range. Check for sure fire, accuracy, reliability in the gun, any funny or off sounds while firing. IF all things look good, I would probably use that supplier again.

Reloading at home can be done fairly easily. When I was single, I used to use a small Lee Turret press mounted on a 2x8 board slid between the cracks of two kitchen chairs back to back. It worked. I loaded thousands of rounds that way in my living room. I had to stop after I got married and a few stray live primers exploded inside the vacuum cleaner when my wife vacuumed the **** carpet. It was fun while it lasted. Now I load at a bench in the garage.

45 rounds are some of the easiest to reload since they are straight walled and fairly low pressure. A little pistol powder goes a long way. Hard lead bullets and copper jackets work well. Round nose is most reliable and truncated cones are OK in better guns. With a turret press I can easily load 100+ rounds an hour using it like a single stage press, ie deprime resize all, then hand prime all, then hand fill powder, then seat bullets. The more automatic presses can do hundreds per hour easily.

Right now even components are expensive and sometimes hard to obtain. But lots cheaper than factory ammo.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Never had any trouble with commercially reloaded ammo, go for it.

I have been much more adventurous with ammo.........I have fired thousands of rounds of military surplus 7.62x39mm and 9mm from countries whose names I cannot even pronounce, never a problem there either.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's not much left to add to Jim's post.

I'm not a fan of soft/swaged bullets, so, I'd ask them if these are 'hardcast' or 'swaged'.
The swaged bullets are softer, and will cause 'leading' a lot faster than hardcast.

$35.00 per shipping is a little high, especially when you add shipping charges. However, IF they have it in stock. . .

So many places don't have ammo right now.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
mediconi
New User
I've bought this type of ammo several times, as 10mm isn't the easiest to find on occasion. Never had any problems.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Make sure it's full length resized, the only time you should expect neck resized to function reliably is when it came from your gun the first time around. Otherwise, nothing wrong with reloads.
Reloading yourself has some huge advantages too, since you can play around with different powders, different bullet shapes, and in general come up with a shell tuned to your shooting style and gun.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
The .40 reload stuff from ultramax did not work (accurate) as intended and was not usable beyond 35 feet. The stuff I get from Atlanta arms seems fine in fmj.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:14 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Most police academy ranges will use reman ammo exclusively in their handguns for practice. Not a thing wrong with it. I've shot thousands of rounds of 38spc and 45acp on the local Community College police range and never had a problem.

Save the good stuff for business attire.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If you're concerned about the quality / reliability of the Cabela's reloads, send me a couple of hundred rounds and I'll let you know if it was worth your money

Old 04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Frdbuy8589
Senior User
What are you buying? For me reman ammo has always been a luck of the draw. I've had the best luck with the ultramax in 223 and 38 special. I'd also use the 45 or 9mm. I would never shoot a 40 reload. Another good one is Georgia Arms. But I'd stick with a large known company. Anything that comes in a clear plastic bag seems to be a guy in his basement cranking stuff out. If you can can try reloading yourself. Its not hard (unless you start your own recipes) and you never run out of ammo. Be advised you wont save any money reloading vs. buying cause you end up shooting twice as much!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
The only reason I haven't really considered reloading myself is because I don't have the chance to shoot often, and it's easier to hide a case of ammo from the wife than all the kit to make my own.

I'll keep doing my research, and I won't jump into anything just yet. I'll probably stick with a bigger name company or distributor like Cabela's, but we'll see what I find out.

Thanks a ton guys, the help is appreiciated.