1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted Trucks and Snow Plows

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Lifted Trucks and Snow Plows

Just a tip for you guys who run snow plows and want to lift your truck over 4 inches. Think twice unless you like to do fabrication work!

I have a 8" in my rig and really never gave the plow to much thought. Heck it was spring time when I did the lift and I figured I would deal with the problem next winter.
Well me being such a procrastinator and all, finally got around to making my plow actually hit the ground, not bad considering were 3/4 through the winter now.

At first I figured I could just lower the front cross mount on the main brackets to get it low enough to where the A-frame would be level. Well that only gave me about 4 inches and the plow when angled would only contact about 2 feet of the ground.
Fine if you do straight pushes, but we know that don't work so good. At first I thought I could just weld on some taller ears on the A-frame and get it to where it would sit level, not thinking to much that I run a new Western uni mount and by doing that, would through off all the pivot points where the upper frame hitches to the truck.

Needless to say I spent 6 hours this morning lengthening the two main frame mounts, of course the channel they used is an odd ball size, so I had to cut down a 8" piece of channel and make it like 5 1/2 inches wide and then notch one corner to fit into there stock channel. Also, re-triangulate the two support struts.

Yes it was a PITA!! but now my plow works like stock and I'm a bit happier. I don't know how I'm gonna camouflage the frame during the summer though, I think I will actually take the time to make some type of big and bad winch bumper that will tie into the plow frame and the original bumper mounts.

I guess this doesn't really apply to too many people, but hey I'm sharring the knowledge or lack there off.

Old 01-25-2003, 04:22 PM
MrRottnDog
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you gonna do next winter when you have to go to a bigger lift to keep up with the rest of the superduty crew here?

Plus those springs have gotta be sagging after hauling around the MONSTA triplets!

Last edited by MrRottnDog; 01-25-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrrottndog
[B]What are you gonna do next winter when you have to go to a bigger lift to keep up with the rest of the superduty crew here?

Well the body lift won't affect the frame hieght only what the roof comes in contact with!!

It may be time to re-spring especially if the Abendx love demon want's to be with it's mother.

Old 01-25-2003, 09:11 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru

Yeti, Will the plow mount that you altered be a problem if you go off road.? Does it hang down too far and cause a clearance problem when crossing obsticals? I knew a guy who had a similar problem with his Meyer rig after he lifted his truck and lowered his plow clevis frame. The bottom of his frame would bottom out depending on the angle of approach. Just curious. Jake.

Last edited by jakegypsum; 01-25-2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:15 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend

Well there is that possiblity for sure, Im hoping with the 38's I'll be ok, I will have to think of it when I am off road.
I was thinking of someway to come up with a skid plate, but I think it would look hoaky.
I will keep you posted when the time comes.

I may just pull the whole unit off if I don't like the looks of it.
Figure a hour to unbolt everything fo a summers worth of no hassles may be worth it!!

Old 01-27-2003, 10:05 AM
abendx
Posting Guru

Originally posted by YETI
It may be time to re-spring especially if the Abendx love demon want's to be with it's mother.
YETI.... i know that my lost child was taken by his mother and now resides with you..... it really irks me that you NEED to maintain the status quo and continue your ONE BRANCED family tree.... that is just an infat there!

gross!!!

and i can't even fantom to talk about the triplets and you!

DOUBLE GROSS!!!