1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Electric power draw 4.5amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
lostman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Electric power draw 4.5amp

I have a new problem. I finally got the injectors in and the truck running and now I'm getting a power draw.
I'm not even sure when it started but last monday I parked the truck for about 4 hours and came back to it to find it wouldn't start. I got it jumped and didn't have any issues with it all week. I thought that I might have left a dome light on but didn't think that would drain it that quickly.
Thursday I left it parked until this Tuesday at about noon. The truck would barely turn over and wouldn't start. I didn't see anything left on.
It took 2 trucks with jumper cables before I could get it going. I brought it home and parked it overnight. It was dead again today.
My brother and I spend most of the day trouble shooting. Here are my findings:
If I leave out a specific 5 maxi fuses (under the hood) the draw goes away, but if any of those 5 are put back in the draw starts again. According to the owners manual there is nothing in common. I pulled the entire engine harnass out of the loop by disconnecting it and still had a draw. I disconnected anything and everything I could figure, still had 4.5amp draw.
I finally went so far as to disconnect the PCM and take the entire interior fuse box and GEM out. Still have the draw.
So here is what I know, the 5 fuses have nothing in common that I can find from the owners manual. At one time I pulled 2 fuses from the internal fuse box and the draw stopped but only until I put them back in and it started again.
I've checked visually to see if I could see any issues with the wiring and have found nothing.
I haven't done anything with any wiring to cause problems so I'm confused as to why or when this happened.
The only common between the maxi fuses and the two inside fuses is the ABS system. Yesterday I did get an ABS light on for just a little bit after starting the truck but thought it might have had something to do with low batteries.
I'm stumped again with my truck. If anyone has good diagrams or electrical experience I'd be appreciative for any help.
I was just laid off of work and don't have any income so money is a huge issue.
Thanks for sticking with me during this long post!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 AM
n5926g
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might have missed something in your post,but I would dis-connect the Alternator,and see if the draw goes away.You will have to unplug,and unhook everything,but its a shot.
If the draw goes away,Id say you have an alternator issue.This would be sheer coincidence,as it has nothing to do with recent services performed.
There is a diode brige in the alternator that converts the AC that it generates to DC.This brige also acts as an electric "dam" to keep Battery voltage from backing up into the Alt windings.If one or more of the diodes are open/shorted it will allow batt voltage to drain back through.As the Alternator is "Hot" all the time,this can occur even when its not running.One would think however that an indicator on the dash would show a charg/discharge problem,but ive seen defective briges,with no outward indication.This is a shot in the dark,but in the realm of possibility.
Be sure to disconnect the Battery before unhooking the alternator,and make sure all disconnected wires are well away from frame ground.Hook the batt back up and see what you get.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 AM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are talking about a PSD motor you might want to move the post to the diesel section of the forum for more familiar responses. Just going by your tag line.
The ABS module could be causing the problem so have you tried unplugging it? You can drive the truck without ABS.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
lostman
Senior User
Sorry I thought I was posted in the PSD forum. Not sure how to move this thread now.
I didn't disconnect the battery cable going to the Alternator but I did pull the other wires off, still had the draw.
I would disconnect the ABS module but I'm unsure where it sits. I'm still new to this truck and not completely sure about a few things.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Ron W.
Elder User
Might seem a silly question but are you allowing enough time for the modules to go back to sleep when checking for draw? It's my understanding that everytime you remove / replace the cable on the battery the modules wake up, correct me if I'm wrong.
Could it be your battery needs to be replaced?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM
lostman
Senior User
I was wondering about the same thing, but I'm unsure how much time the modules are awake before it sleeps again.
Anyone know about this?

Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Ron W.
Elder User
Take the cable off, splice your DMM in line and go drink a beer or three

I'm sure it varies but I beleive I read in one post it could take up to 45 minutes depending on the vehicle.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
lostman
Senior User
Yesterday I had the batteries off for several hours with only my DMM in place and still got the draw but I just read that you need to not pull the negative cable off until you have the DMM in place so that any grounds stay steady.

I hate electrical problems!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM
zxsmyers
New User
What do the two fuses from the internal fuse box feed? If you pulled those fuses and the 4.5 amp draw stopped then you have a problem in one of those circuits. Take one fuse out and check for current flow. If the current stops you would know that is the circuit that has the problem.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:06 AM
lostman
Senior User
The two interior ones didn't matter. I pulled the entire fuse box out and it still had the draw so back to the drawing board. (oh that didn't come out right).
One was something about ABS and I can't remember off hand what the other one was.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to Super Duty forum.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM
lostman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ultramagdan
Moved to Super Duty forum.

Thank you!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM
lostman
Senior User
I have been able to narrow some of this down tonight. I pulled the inner feder well to get better acces to everything going through the firewall.
If I pull #6 and #14 maxi fuses (alternator A field and ABS respectively) and the top harness going through the firewall the draw stops! But if I reconnect either fuse or the plug on the firewall it starts immediately.
I'm still totally confused, but have some of it figured out.

I need a diagram really badly to see if the ignition switch is on that line.

I don't understand why the ABS and Alt field fuses have anything to do with this issue.;