6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

To Warranty Or Not To Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
jage
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Warranty Or Not To Warranty

Alright, I'm pretty sure you read the title and were like "Heck yeah, warranty!" but here is my situation:

64,000 miles
Turbo Replaced at 55K
Oil Leaks at 64K

Factory Warranty expires 3/7/2010 (end of week)

Before the factory warranty expires I have the option to purchase an extended warranty:
$2320
expires 3/7/2010 (2 years)
expires @200,000
covers 13 major engine/driveline components

That's a no brainer, however I already HAVE-
Extended Warranty:
expires 3/7/2011 (1 year)
expires @75,000 (11K miles)
covers a bit more than the above, but not everything

So, for $2320 now, I'm extending the coverage by one year and 125,000 miles. Since the van will probably get ~15K/year miles that seems like a lot of money for a little bit of coverage, for my particular case.

In addition, I'm not much of a chip/performance guy, but the one dealer I trust to work on it is very strict about that stuff on warranty, and there is a local diesel mechanic that I trust even more (they take care of my 7.3L)... which all just makes the warranty feel kind of like a yoke that I'm under. Not that it hasn't served me well, but applying the cost towards a future repair seems better than out of pocket now.

But essentially I want feedback. I've got, really, 3 days to make the decision and write the check. What do you think...buy more warranty or keep my $$?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
hank89
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I would not, but it depends on your situation. $2320 for one year?

If you're going to keep it for the long haul: I'd stick the $2320 in a bank account and over the next year find a used 5.9 cummins and a reputable shop who can stick it in for you. It might be upwards of 10k, but you'd have an engine that you didn't have to spend time worrying about.

Just think of the extra time you'd have to work and earn more money and not spend on internet message boards with people obsessed with rationalizing their decission to keep their 6.0's.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Your truck has about the same mileage on it as our 2003 6.0 PSD. Several months ago, I had to have an injector replaced 600 miles from home and I had an extended warranty that was due to expire - we were at the 6+ year mark. Ford had given me an extended warranty sometime back because of the many troubles we had experienced with the truck.

I asked the service manager whether he recommended another extended warranty and he said that if I was going to keep the truck, absolutely get one. There was no benefit to him as his dealership is not our regular dealer. I looked up on this site for a Ford Extra Care warranty which covers 113 components and got a price of around $1860 for 3 years. This covers much more than the basic warranty you wrote about. I went to our dealer and asked them to match price. They leaped on it and 10 minutes later, I was signed up.

Now a couple of points. First, if you have a Genuine Ford Extended Warranty they should issue you a new extended one without having to have the truck checked over (a saving of around $100). The service manager had to confirm this with someone in the heirarchy of Ford.

Second, if you were to be out of warranty, I was told that if you paid the inspection fee and passed, they would issue the new extended warranty.
You need to confirm all of this because as you read on this forum, different dealers see things differently. Given the record of problems with this engine, it was necessary for us.

As I read your post, it appears you still have some life left in your original extended warranty. Perhaps you can run that one out and a few days before it expires, purchase another extended warranty. I would stay with a Genuine Ford Extended Warranty. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 PM
danocross
Senior User
Not judging your numbers fully, my only comment is that I purchased the 13 point warranty for considerably less at Packey Webb Ford (I think that is the name of the dealership), outside of Chicago. Gets it down to 1700ish as I recall. Sorry, on the run, but wanted to drop you a quick note.

Good luck, hope you have a good decision in your time frame.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:23 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Just spent $200 deductible for my turbo replacement under my extended warranty (basically 1 year extension I paid $1400)...better than $1500 parts and $400 labor...I already saved $300. I'd check around for best pricing.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
My situation is not too much different than the OP. For me, the diesel care warranty for 200k miles is not worth the money. I'll never get close to those miles. But what might be worth the money is extending my ESP to the max. Already have the max time of 7 years, but I'm going to come up short on miles. Gotta see if I can rewrite the policy for more miles.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
ehgeeray
Senior User
Do you realize they don't offer warranty coverage out of the goodness of their heart? Some one smarter than you or I has determined that they can make money on average selling people warranties at a given rate for a particular vehicle. I'm sure a warranty on a 6.0liter Diesel costs more then a warranty on an average gasoline vehicle.

Don't waste your money unless you are certain something will go wrong... Just my opinion.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ehgeeray
Do you realize they don't offer warranty coverage out of the goodness of their heart? Some one smarter than you or I has determined that they can make money on average selling people warranties at a given rate for a particular vehicle. I'm sure a warranty on a 6.0liter Diesel costs more then a warranty on an average gasoline vehicle.

Don't waste your money unless you are certain something will go wrong... Just my opinion.
This is true of all insurance, with the exception of life insurance. That is the only one where the outcome is known.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Food for thought- last year (April) I replaced a HPOP, ICP and IPR at Ford- I'm out of warranty. That was @ $2400. 2 weeks before Christmas I replaced an alt, FICM and had 2 iffy injectors. Had all 4 done and GP's/harness. That cost me @ $3700. And thats just what I had done at Ford. Also replaced both batteries in July, brakes, and a few other smaller items last year. Just saying, Ford ESP would have covered the HPOP bill minus ded. Not sure about FICM, but injectors should have been covered ( ?? ) IF I had the ESP, which I didn't, it would have paid for itself. HPOP was at 130kish, FICM, alt and inj. @ 138K.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 AM
CAMPINGTOM
Senior User
My 5 year warranty ends in a couple of weeks and I'm in the same boat. $ 2300 for 2 more years, or save the money and hope for the best. I agree with ehgeeray that each party is gambling that their side will win financially on the warranty. I'm leaning toward not getting it. I've already had the hpop and oil/egr coolers replaced and the truck as been flawless for the last 20k miles (I'm at 78k now).

Old 07-27-2023, 06:39 AM
Tryzub
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
I can't speak for Ford or any of the companies you all have used in any capacity but in my experience with Subaru the extended warranty offered at the dealership was predatory and useless. I did some research on the company and it was notorious for denying claims and pulling Erin Brakonbich level stuff. They also had a nice tactic of using the cheapest possible replacement parts and being very anti OEM.

Ofcourse I'd like an extended warranty I can rely on without fine print but considering I can put 1000+ on my truck in two days doing hotshot for clients I just don't think it's going to be easy to find a company I can trust.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:15 AM
Junkers456
Mountain Pass
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tryzub
I can't speak for Ford or any of the companies you all have used in any capacity but in my experience with Subaru the extended warranty offered at the dealership was predatory and useless. I did some research on the company and it was notorious for denying claims and pulling Erin Brakonbich level stuff. They also had a nice tactic of using the cheapest possible replacement parts and being very anti OEM.

Ofcourse I'd like an extended warranty I can rely on without fine print but considering I can put 1000+ on my truck in two days doing hotshot for clients I just don't think it's going to be easy to find a company I can trust.
Tryzub, you are commenting on a nearly thirteen year old thread... just in case you didn't notice that. If you have a question on warranty for 6.0's, well, hate to break it to you, but there is little to no options short of a new pickup.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-27-2023, 02:59 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Yeah, I hate when they do that. Thinking it's new, I start at the beginning, waste a lot of time.