1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm/Remote Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
paulcalif
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm/Remote Question

I just bought a 99' Crewcab f-250 with the V10. 120K - but in VERY good cond.

It came with three remotes (keyless entry), but only one works.

I assumed it was a factory system, but now I'm pretty sure it's an add-on.

There is a module under the dash below the steering column with the name Chapman Security.

The seller included a box that had the two spare remotes. In the box there are instructions on how to program the keys along with diagrams of different control modules. Each module has a different set of programming instructions.

I found the diagram that looks like mine, but the instructions for programming don't seem to work. I've programmed a few remotes in the past.

Anyway, I am afraid of losing the only working remote, so I came here to get some advice.

The remote is not built into the key - it is rectangular with only 2 buttons and has the Ford Logo on it. I believe this is probably a system that a Ford dealer installed???

So, I am looking for advice.
Should I try and get another remote and figure out how to program it?
Or should I remove this system and install a new one.
I have seen several on ebay for very reasonable prices.
Should it be a simple task to remove the current system and return the truck to non-remote/alarm status?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty good with both mechanical and electrical stuff, so I can do the job if it's not too difficult to figure out.

I'm just afraid that when they installed this alarm/remote system, that they may have made a lot of changes to the wiring that may not be real evident.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1 or 2 of those are most likely the original that the dealer installed and will not work with the Chapman. Like stated you can buy replacements but you will need to be sure to have the programming/install manual for the system you are trying to use. There might be 2 modules under the dash, get the model # of the module under the dash so you can google the install instructions to be sure you have the right manual for the Chapman. If you find they are the right instructions........it is possible for a fob to go bad. Are all 3 of the fobs the same? Most likely the 2 that are the "newest" looking are for the K/E factory system and the previous owner forgot the second fob when trading in?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
paulcalif
Junior User
Thanks for the reply - here is more

The two non-working remotes are similar in size and appearance to the one working remote, but they are not identical.

The non-working remotes appear to be the same as one another. Each had a sticker but the text has worn off. Under the sticker, molded into the plastic, it says "Code Alarm"

On the working remote, no stickers and molded into the plastic it says Ford.

I looked again under the dash and found saw the Chapman Vehicle Security Systems module, plus I found a "code alarm" IR-s Sensor that has an adjustable pot on the side. Infra-red???

The extra remotes came in a Ford box, and the instructions are from Ford.
The instuctions have diagrams of the alarm modules and one of them looks just like the Chapman.

I was thinking that maybe Ford worked with Chapman to develop the Alarm/Keyless entry. There don't appear to be any other modules under the dash in the steering column area.

I tried to Google Chapman and came up with a hit saying that they have been out of business a long time.

Any clues???

Thanks again.

Paul

Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
paulcalif
Junior User
More info.
The "box" that I have, with instructions, is for a remote. Is it for the remote I have, and is it the one that works? I think so.

So far, following the instuctions aren't working.
turn the key to on, door closed, cycle dome light three times waiting 1 second between each cycle.

I called the dealer, he suggested an alarm guy.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

The ones with the "Code" sticker are from the original dealer installed system and will not work. I googled and the remotes are still available for the Chapman type, you should also find some of the replacement remotes will work for both the Chapman and Code alarms. I also found 1 site that sells them with reprogramming instructions.

http://www.autoalarmpro.com/replacement_remotes

Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
camerory
Freshman User
I believe Code Alarm is the name of an aftermarket keyless entry company

Originally Posted by paulcalif
The two non-working remotes are similar in size and appearance to the one working remote, but they are not identical.

The non-working remotes appear to be the same as one another. Each had a sticker but the text has worn off. Under the sticker, molded into the plastic, it says "Code Alarm"

On the working remote, no stickers and molded into the plastic it says Ford.

I looked again under the dash and found saw the Chapman Vehicle Security Systems module, plus I found a "code alarm" IR-s Sensor that has an adjustable pot on the side. Infra-red???

The extra remotes came in a Ford box, and the instructions are from Ford.
The instuctions have diagrams of the alarm modules and one of them looks just like the Chapman.

I was thinking that maybe Ford worked with Chapman to develop the Alarm/Keyless entry. There don't appear to be any other modules under the dash in the steering column area.

I tried to Google Chapman and came up with a hit saying that they have been out of business a long time.

Any clues???

Thanks again.

Paul

Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

This thread is almost 1 year old???? FYI....Code Alarm makes the oem systems for Ford.