This article supersedes TSB 08-4-13 to update the Issue, Service Procedure and remove the production fix date.
Some 2007-2008 Expedition vehicles may exhibit a bump feeling while braking to a stop below 10 MPH (16 Km/h). This procedure will improve the bump felt while braking to a stop.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
CAUTION APPLYING THIS PROCEDURE TO UNITS THAT DO NOT EXHIBIT THE COASTDOWN BUMP MAY RESULT IN WORSE SHIFT QUALITY.
NOTE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.
1. Install Integrated Diagnostic System/Portable Diagnostic Software (IDS/PDS) or equivalent and ID the vehicle.
2. Update the Power Control Module/Transmission Control Module (PCM/TCM) calibration using IDS release 57.8 and higher or 58.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated to the latest level simultaneously.
a. Verify that the TCM shows 8L1P-7J104-AC (8L1P-7J104-BC for 2008 vehicles built after 12/3/2007) part number after reprogramming is complete.
b. Select the following from IDS, Tool Box, Powertrain, OBD Test Modes, Mode Level 9 Vehicle info, TCM Cal Part Number.
3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
a. Using IDS:
(1) Open Toolbox.
(2) Choose Powertrain.
(3) Choose Reset KAM.
(4) Then Choose TCM.
b. Using PDS:
(1) Choose all Tests and Calibrations.
(2) Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM.
NOTE FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.
NOTE UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM.
NOTE DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.
4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.
5. Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn:
a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.
b. Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).
c. Repeat Steps (a-b) a total of five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.
d. Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1300-1800 RPM.
e. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.
f. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for at least 10 seconds.
g. Repeat steps (e-f) three (3) times.
NOTE THE HARSH BUMP FELT WHILE BRAKING TO A STOP WILL BE IMPROVED. HOWEVER, SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
082207A 2007-2008 Expedition: 1.0 Hr.
Check DTCs, Reprogram
The PCM And TCM,
Includes Time To Clear
KAM And Perform Road
Test. Authorization Decal
Not Required (Do Not Use
My 08 Expy is doing the same thing. Guess I'll call the dealer and try to get in for a fix. Wonder what line of BS they'll give me for this problem? My dealer HATES customers that research problems before coming in for service. This should be fun. Thanks