2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:35 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Pele
Both pieces of information above are false.

False.
No, True with caveats!

It's easier/Safer to say they won't work...than to list all the minute exceptions and eccentricities of the Ford PATS system. There are at least 2 different generations of the PATS since 2000. I think it's actually 4 now, but I onow 2 for certain. I don't want to be the guy who says it'll work and have someone spend serious $$$ to find out it won't work.

As far as programming 1 remote to several vehicles, YEP! It's easily done with zero trickery. Enter programming mode on Vehicle 1 and program each remote as desired. Then enter programming mode on Vehicle 2. Rinse/Repeat. I did it with my Mustang and F150. Undid it because it was annoying to have the truck unlock every morning when I drove to work in Mustang.

You can do this because the PCM is trained to recognize/accept the remote. When you program the remote to a car, you aren't programming anything on the remote. Merely putting the PCM into receive mode to learn particular signal

Old 09-09-2015, 06:35 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
The key fobs are not programmed into the PCM, they're programmed into the VSM or RKE module or whatever module happens to be used in that particular module.

Key fobs are also unrelated to PATS until you get to keyless ignition systems.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:36 PM
joeimp
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cloning vs. programming

Originally Posted by Tylus
For those with 1 key and who want a quick...and relatively cheap fix compared to buying from the Dealership

Walmart and certain other stores now clone keys. They copy the RFID tag on your 1 working key and "clone" that tag to a blank RFID chip/key.

You still can't program your own keys, but at least you'll have 2 working keys. It was roughly $65 for the keys
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between cloning keys and programming your own keys? I just bought an '04 FX4 and it only came with one key & key fob. Just called the stealership and they wanted $140 + parts order and program the key :/ Uh, no.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joeimp
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between cloning keys and programming your own keys?
So there's more to a PATS key than just the metal blade. The metal blade will open the door locks and turn the ignition...

The PATS keys also have a chip that communicates with the vehicle by radio transmission.

Every key produced by Ford/Stratec has a unique serial number already embedded in it from the factory.
On early vehicles, that's a 40 bit number. 2^40 = 1,099,511,627,776
Later models used an 80 bit number. 2^80 = 1.20892582 × 10²⁴ (there'll be 24 digits after that 1...) That's a LOT of unique key numbers.

So your PATS enabled vehicle not only has physical locks, but also has a couple serial numbers memorized...

Two keys came with your vehicle from the factory, let's call them Key Number 123 and Key Number 125.

If someone copies your key to a metal blank key, there is no chip, so there is no serial number. (Or if they jam a screwdriver into the ignition lock.) If someone copies your key to a Ford/Stratec key that has a different serial number, either way, the engine will not start, because the serial numbers do not match what's in the vehicle's memory.

Now let's say you buy a new key from Ford/Stratec. The new key is Key Number 200. The key is cut so they the lock turns but it will not start the engine.

You insert key 123 and turn the vehicle on, then back off. You immediately insert key 125 and turn the key on and back off. The car senses that you have two original keys and opens the memory up to take in Key Number 200.

I think that you can store 8 keys total.

Now a cloned key, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's, etc... They have blank keys with Key Number ---. So let's say you lost key 125 and key 200... You ONLY have Key Number 123.
The store cuts the key so that it can turn the locks. The they read the chip in your key and write it on to the new key so that Key Number --- becomes Key Number 123.
You have two keys with Key Number 123.

Key Number 123 is in the vehicle memory, so it's all good to start the engine. But you can never add a new key, because you don't have two different serial numbers to activate the programming process.

I will add that the newer model vehicles that use the 80 bit key number also is that serial number to set power seat positions and other preferences... You'd lose those features on a cloned key.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
What he said.

Wow, this thread is still around!

Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
What he said.
Heh heh heh...right?

I sent Pele some reps for that post.

Stewart

Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM
joeimp
Freshman User
Dang.

Way to break that down. In addition to being a football legend, he's also an expert in the Ford anti-theft system. Thanks Pele

Old 09-13-2017, 09:51 PM
joeimp
Freshman User
What he said.

Wow, this thread is still around!
Ya, well, this is now the 2nd F-150 I've purchased with only one key. The first time I ignored it but I figure I'll deal with it on this truck.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM
joeimp
Freshman User
Now I have a new issue. The vehicle will only start with the remote. I'm not sure what I did but when I insert the key to start the truck, nothing happens. I have to remove the key and use the remote start. I looked through the owner's manual but it does not mention remote start.

I wonder if maybe it was added later on this vehicle? Anyhow if anyone has experienced this I would love to hear about it. Thanks,

Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joeimp
Now I have a new issue. The vehicle will only start with the remote. I'm not sure what I did but when I insert the key to start the truck, nothing happens. I have to remove the key and use the remote start. I looked through the owner's manual but it does not mention remote start.

I wonder if maybe it was added later on this vehicle? Anyhow if anyone has experienced this I would love to hear about it. Thanks,
I don't believe there was a factory remote start on that year...

There are a few ways of doing remote starts with RFID keys. They may have done it the cheap way by zip tying a key with a chip under the dashboard. Or they may have a little transmitter that emulates a key's chip.

You're going to have to do a little digging and see how the remote start is set up.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM
PancakeF150
Senior User
If a factory key is zip tied under the dash would a key with a nonprogrammed chip start the truck? (Just thinking out loud) . <--Dangerous

My used truck came with only one key and a non-OEM remote start system.

I thought I programmed it the other day but it hasn't been 100% reliable.

Is it possible the key I programmed and a possible zip tied key fighting with each other?

Thank you in advance. Terry

Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PancakeF150
If a factory key is zip tied under the dash would a key with a nonprogrammed chip start the truck? (Just thinking out loud) . <--Dangerous
That's exactly how remote start units work. A chip that's been programmed for the vehicle PATS system is placed in the steering column so the remote start will function, and the engine will turn over.

Stewart

Old 09-25-2017, 08:13 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
It's no more "dangerous" than 90+% of the aftermarket remote start systems that have to have a "live" key in a bypass kit in order to work.

Is it possible the key I programmed and a possible zip tied key fighting with each other?
Depends on what is actually installed and how it was done.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:32 PM
NyghtStryker
New User
08 f350

Originally Posted by Hoosh
Just purchased this one for my 2010 F-150.

Ford Replacement Keyless Remote Fob Flip Ignition Transponder Key Transmitter eBay

$25 (currently on sale for 5% off this price) seems like a good price to have the fob and key in one piece AND be able to fold the key blade away. Hoping to reduce key chain clutter. I'll let you know if I have any issues after having it cut and trying to program it.

Be careful to avoid purchasing one of these that's merely a "shell" and doesn't have the chip, battery, etc. inside it.

Here's the search criteria I entered into eBay:
ford flip key remote -shell -case -pad

Will these flip keys work for my 08 F350? They look convenient, and I have a door code pass pad so I ain't too worried about getting locked out.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:18 AM
Todd D,
Freshman User
Years

Originally Posted by shorebird
Well presented instructions.
Sticky Time!
I've posted this same info several times over the years.
Put it in the Articles.

I tried to rep you, But you know how it is.
I've got to spread the loving around first.
What year was the code on back can I've got 04 Lincoln Mark Lt. Bought new in 06 with 5 miles on it sorry code for it is under pssngt above fuse box