2009stx4x4problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:51 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post 2009stx4x4problems

2009stx4x4problems posted this in another thread:
I have the same truck with a 6speed auto.If you roll backwards in drive in wheel drive and 2 wd the transmission locks the motor up and stalls.Hard to get started again.They all do it.The problem is ,as the the truck rolls backwards with no motor the brakes fade to none ant there is no steering.My dealer says it is a characteristic of all 09s and 10s and can't be corrected at this time.After a few roll off some mountains and kill someone perhaps Ford will Take intrest.Be carefull,the rest of the truck is awesome!
After questioning the validity of his post, he posted this:
Guess what you didn't understand was my attempt to relay to you the serious defect in you 09 if you have a six speed auto.Park on a hill in 4wd and let the truck roll backwards.You will understand in a hurry.The tranny locks the motor up,its hard to restart.If you apply the brakes more the twice,you lose all brakes.There is no repair for it.
When questioned again, he posted this:
never mind dude.This is a technical issue for people with brains.Go read a motorhead book.Douche bags like you are a dime a dozen.When you truck rolls off a mountain I just hope you are the only one in it,not your wife or kids.Now go away to you kids world,and please...don't respond.
He also posted this on his public profile:
An extremely dangerous condition exists in the 6 speed automatic ALL must be aware of and according to my dealer's service manager Greg Everson at Jacky Jones Ford in Cleveland GA. put in an email to me,"the concern of the transmission slowing/stalling the engine when rolling backwards with your foot off the brake is a vehicle characteristic.It is programmed into the computer software.WE can not change that." .The dangerous situation is,the vehicle fails to go forward when releasing the brake and rolls backwards.The transmission locks the engine up stalling it.Until you realize the engine is dead and brake a few times,you no longer have brake or steering control.The vehicle will also do the same thing in 4wheel low rolling forward with a trailer pushing you a little.Be ready to apply you emercency brake if you let it get away from you.I want Ford to take my truck back and their engineer is looking at it next week.Hopefully a recall will be issued.
Whalebird also posted this:
In spite of the good advice, I am responding. My '09 FX4 driving up my driveway - 4high-in drive-rolled backwards about 15 feet - nothing happened - no problems. Same in 2high (it shouldn't make a differance) - no problem. 4low wouldn't roll back on its own accord. If there is a genuine problem - I am all for a responsible discusion. Personally I have a few "motorhead" books, but 23 years as a factory trained (Benz/porsche), master technician has trumped most mainstream/monthly publications. I have never met another auto enthusiast who could not teach me something. Everybody knows something I do not, so I have learned not to talk, but listen to everyone. I always learn something. Thats why I like this forum. Cool people most of the time. If there is a problem, known or undocumented, let's talk about it in the appropriate thread, we all may learn something.
I then sent an e-mail to Ford and Jacky Jones Ford in Cleveland GA asking about this issue. I have not received an answer from Jacky Jones, but I did receive this from Ford:
Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the transmission concern on your 2009 Ford F-150 Super Crew.
In an effort to assist you, we have contacted Jacky W. Jones Ford Inc. and we were informed that your vehicle has not been diagnosed for the concern that you mentioned in your email.
Your vehicle must be inspected by a Ford Dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. They have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to resolve your concern.
For further assistance with this matter, we invite you to contact Greg Everson, Service Manager of Jacky W. Jones Ford Inc. through (866) 681-8763. He is in the best position to discuss your request.
We apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing as a result of this situation.
Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Please provide your 10 digit reference number: 0627523359.
Sincerely,
Alji
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company
I have not seen or heard of this issue from any other owners on any other boards.

If 2009stx4x4problems has any more information, it would be nice to know. If not, I think we can file this one away as BS.

Our you could contact Jacky Jones yourself.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last I heard Cracky Joones went **** up lol!!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I read that thread and to be completely honest, I just chalked it up as a troll looking for attention. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I find it hard to believe things like this especially when the poster displays the attitude that he did. If it is a known problem, why haven't there been a ton of posts about if on here and other sites?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I read that thread and to be completely honest, I just chalked it up as a troll looking for attention. I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I find it hard to believe things like this especially when the poster displays the attitude that he did. If it is a known problem, why haven't there been a ton of posts about if on here and other sites?
Yeah, whalebird and I kind of thought the same thing (via PM), but I thought I'd post it so others will at least know about the possibility of the issue.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, it's always good to know if it's true. I certainly hope it's not and if it is, I would think that Ford would have been brainstorming a fix for it....you don't let your #1 selling vehicle have uncorrected issues and stay on top for long. Good info.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
I don't see how an automatic trans could lock up at idle rpms and stall the motor... wouldn't the torque converter prohibit this? I call BS too. Especially when he says the brakes and steering become unresponsive... even with the motor dead, there are still manual brakes and manual steering.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
95 turbo diesel
Junior User
I have been a transmission rebuilder for 27 years dont think this is possible because.The torque converter clutch would have to engage,to stall the engine in 1st gear at idle,that would be a malfunction,if that did happen when the engine stalled all pump pressure is lost the torque converter clutch would disengage and you could restart the truck in park or netural.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM
bmceachen
New User
Ford F-150 stalling

I have a 2010 Ford f-150 with about 3k miles. It has stalled on me twice in the last two weeks while stopped at an intersection. I may have been on a slight grade while it happened but not sure.

I took the truck in yesterday to Ken Grody Ford in Carlsbad, Ca. They said all tests passed and they could not find any issues in the truck's log. Their resolution was to reset the KAM sensor. I am not very satisfied of the explanation but not sure what else to do. Hopefully I won't experience the problem again.

I'll keep this thread posted.

Best,

Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Nanook8
Freshman User
I hope this all just a cry for attention! I'm driving to Alaska in 2 weeks with a loaded 09 F150 with a 6'x10' trailer and I sure don't want to roll off any cliffs.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Me thinks something is up as I drive/roll backwards all the time in both 2wd & 4wd and never have had the motor "lock up". I think the original post is from a person who works for either Dodge, GM or Toyota. He must be seeing his job going down the toilet. After 25K+ miles this truck runs flawlessly. Chris

Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Me thinks you're right. Maybe I should have titled the thread:

"2009stx4x4 HAS MAJOR SELF-ESTEEM PROBLEMS"

Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
azerjeff
Senior User
how about not letting it roll backwards down a hill in a forward gear? lol just a suggestion.