6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Detailed FICM Repair Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 PM
stroked4life
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ficm

just curious, cause i am going to do this fix as well. but did you ADD another resistor, or just resolder?? thanks

Originally Posted by 5030tinkerer
Just an update. I evidently didn't fry anything by shorting out the pin. I pulled out the FICM, took it apart, used a heat gun to remove the amber staking compound, re-soldered all the connections, installed that little resistor, used the heat gun again to melt the staking compound back around all the components once more and am good to go.

The truck runs like a million bucks again and I have 58.3 volts.

Another bennie - fuel economy. I am getting 2-3mpg better than I had been. Woo hoo!

I think that the problem was those flat little resistors, since two of four were loose, but perhaps it was more than that.

Quick other question: I saw that some other trucks seem to have a rubber bushing at the four circles that the FICM connection bolts go through. Where can I get these? My Excursion didn't have them - only the two metal hold-down plates. More dampening resistance has to be good thing.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I added a 10k resistor. I may pull things apart and replace the 10k version with a 20k version, though. I am also likely to upgrade my capacitors at the same time. Not much sense in tempting fate. Asking the capacitors to operate at above their designed voltage sure seems like you are pushing for their early demise, thus leaving you stuck on the side of the road. It's just not worth the risk, IMHO.

I will share that doing this procedure with a $15 soldering iron is a quick ticket to potentially hurting stuff. I have a digitally controlled soldering station that regulates tip temperature. You don't want to have to dwell too long on any of the connections to get the solder to reflow, but don't want to have such a high temperature that you damage the components. It's all about using the right tips at the right temperatures.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
(with the right flux)

Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrQuad
Well I finally got around to writing a detailed FICM check and repair.
FICM pictures by DrQuad - Photobucket

How is the compared to the swamps, besidesthe of voltage

Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
No one that I know of has published what, precisely, Swamps does to the units he receives. Following the repair of the unit in my Excursion, I have begun offering the repair of these units for folks not set up for or interested in doing it themselves. I have been doing upgrades as requested. Swamps certainly has a good product, though. No doubt.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 PM
DunnJH4
New User
Oh really... this diesel newbie just blew a second FICM. Maybe I shouldn't mudbog as hard as I do. Was tempted to do it myself, but I might be interested in hiring someone to do it for me if the price is right. More info would be appreciated! (DunnJH4@Gmail.com). Tell me a little more about the upgrades too.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Just an update - I did indeed pull out my FICM and replace those capacitors. All electronics looked fine when I pulled it apart, I just didn't want to tempt fate as I have seen some fried ones on other units that some friends of mine dropped off to me (when the two brought to me had fried, they took part of the printed circuit board with them - bummer). Given that I upgraded to capacitors capable of more than the 58V that it was outputting, I opted to leave the 58V mod in.

Upshot: I wouldn't recommend upgrading to 58 volts without changing out all the capacitors unless you want to roll the dice on your PCB and roll them further on getting stranded.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Carmwilg
New User
Just fixed mine with Dr. Quad's most excellent advise. Other electrical problems I have been having are also fixed. My driver side window was slow and herky jerky to roll up, My CD player quit working, the truck generally ran rough. After the fix the window works works well, the CD player works and the truck starts faster and runs much smoother. Not sure why the FICM fix helped the other problems since the dealership said my electrical problems have nothing to do with the low voltage (24 volts) on the FICM. Thanks Dr. Quad you saved me $1200.00.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Another update - my FICM is now fried. I do not believe that replacing the capacitors with versions that have a higher microfarad rating as is suggested in pstrang's writeup is a good way to go - at least not without changing out the FET's and perhaps other components as well.

Everything, for thousands of miles actually, was fine with the voltage upgrade alone. The issue occured after the caps were replaced.

Of potential significance, however, is that I had never towed any considerable distance since doing the original repair. When the unit died, it did so when I was pulling an 8800# travel trailer.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:28 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What were the specs on the caps you used as far as voltage rating, temperature rating, etc?

Old 11-25-2010, 01:06 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Like most 4 screw FICM’s, mine had OEM input caps rated at 35V, 1000µF, 125ºC. The OEM output caps were rated at 50V, 470µF, 125ºC. The replacement caps that I ‘upgraded’ to on the input side were 35V, 1800µF, 105ºC. The replacement output caps were 63V, 680µF, 105ºC.

My guess is that the power FETS and .0075ohm resistors simply cannot handle supplying the necessary power to fill the caps without overheating.

I have seen a similar issue on a 7 screw FICM, where all eight of the OEM caps were 63V, 330µF, 125ºC, but had been replaced with those same 63V, 680µF, 105ºC caps only to have the unit later fry.

When my unit died, it did so after towing 30 miles of somewhat steep rolling hills with more downshifting than would typically be encountered in daily driving. My guess is that this created the extra heat that the components ultimately could not handle.

I am currently working to locate replacement input and output caps that more closely match the OEM specs while sticking with the same OEM dimensions. The OE caps that I have been seeing generally test out at 303-306µF. It would be nice to have the option of replacing them with non-degraded versions.

The trouble is that once a board fries, it is no simple matter. You have to replace the board. Some have gotten lucky and found only a resistor popped off the board. When the units fail catestrophically like this, though, you are generally stuck getting a new board.

Situations like this are the basis of my continued search for a bench test procedure. I want to be able to run the unit HARD on the bench instead of trying my proverbial luck on the road.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:21 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Clarification - 330µF OE caps have been coming at the 303-306µF. The 470µF caps have been coming in around 440µF or so. The 1000µF ones have been mostly in the 990-1010µF range.

Only one capacitor out of the last 30 units that I have seen has been completely shot.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 PM
77fordcrewcab
Freshman User
Thanks for all the great info on bad ficm's I tested mine today and found that it was only putting out 30v while runnning and 28v while cranking. I took it out and did the soilder fix on it. I didn't try to soilder the resistors because they are to small to get the soilder gun that i have in there to do it and the size of the soilder points scared me away a little. I reinstalled it and tested again and now I'm getting 48v key on engine off and 38v cranking and running. The ? is should I redo the cap soilder points or do i need to do the resistors. Also there are some referbished ficm's on e-bay for 200$ ish has any one used these. Just trying the make the decision to try to fix mine again or send it out to have someone who has knows what they are doing fix it before i hose it up.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:17 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would somebody email me the PDF of this please (rep will be given)

SuperBikeCJ@gmail.com

Old 12-11-2010, 08:43 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,735 Posts
Originally Posted by High Binder
Would somebody email me the PDF of this please (rep will be given)

SuperBikeCJ@gmail.com
sent ya what I have ....

Quick Reply: Detailed FICM Repair Procedure