Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Junior User

wogdiml is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thule Box mounted on factory racks

I need advice from those that have mounted the Thule, Yakima or other luggage/cargo boxes on the factory rack crossbars. I have read from some others (not specific to Expeditions) that they recommend using thin foam between the box and the crossbar to eliminate knocking or vibrating and to use rubber tubing around the steel u-bolts to keep them from sliding or marking up the bottom of the crossbars. I have mounted my new Thule box in the garage to adjust the spacing of the crossbars and see how it installs and it seems very tight once everything is locked into place but I don't want to figure out different on a road trip beginning in a week. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Senior User

eddiemoney is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like firm rubber between all the mounting surfaces. I don't have a thule box on my expy, but have had several similar items on previous vehicles.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior User

07EXPYEL is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got about 7,000 miles with my Yakima SKYBOX21 and it fits nice and tight and doesn't vibrate on the factory cross bars.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Junior User

david_jr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemoney View Post
I like firm rubber between all the mounting surfaces. I don't have a thule box on my expy, but have had several similar items on previous vehicles.
Is this available at a hardware store or auto parts place?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:38 AM
New User

cipduhop is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm very interested! I would love to find out more inforamtion related to this topic. Thanks in advance.
me too, I need more detailed info.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Senior User

eddiemoney is starting off with a positive reputation.
For finding rubber, put your MacGyver hat on. . .

For round-ish tube I just find a thin wall rubber hose (like for a heater core) of the appropriate diameter and cut it open (forms a C) and then wrap it around whatever tube you need to protect.

Otherwise you can find flat rubber, even door weatherstripping. There are a variety or products that will work well.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL View Post
I've got about 7,000 miles with my Yakima SKYBOX21 and it fits nice and tight and doesn't vibrate on the factory cross bars.
My Thule box also fits very tight once I get all 4 steel u-bolts clamped down, so I'm hoping it stays that way on the road because I'm down to the last day before the road trip and don't have time to look into a large enough piece of rubber between the box and the crossbar of the roof racks. I did put a thin walled rubber (pond liner - wrapped in electrical tape) around the u-bolts because I could get a little sideways movement with the box when the u-bolts were in metal-to-metal contact with the bottom of the crossbar. I'm hoping this provides a little bit more grip between the u-bolt and crossbar. I'll update once we return from the trip.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior User

07EXPYEL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wogdiml View Post
all 4 steel u-bolts clamped down,
The u-bolts are the main reason I purchased the Yakima Skybox, no tools to install or adjust. I've put this on 10 different vehicles and can make the adjustments is just a couple of minutes without tools. I rent my skybox out for $45 a week for a little extra money by advertising on the local craigslist.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL View Post
The u-bolts are the main reason I purchased the Yakima Skybox, no tools to install or adjust.
How do the Yakima boxes install over factory racks? I think Thule has gone to a new system that replaces the steel u-bolts.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Junior User

UPDATE after road trip.

After 2,000 + mile trip I wanted to quickly follow up. All I did before the trip was cover the steel u-bolts with a thin pond liner rubber (where the bolt is in contact with the cross bar) with electrical tape. I tried to be careful when I installed the box on the crossbars to get the u-bolts nice and tight (pushed down inside the box when clamping). Even with many hours of strong head and side wind travel the Thule box wasn't noticeable and did not move at all on the racks. Very nice to have for overflow luggage.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Posting Guru

alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thule has a lobster claw type of assembly on their newer boxes. You clamp it down from inside the box. I've never had a rattle or shake from them, nice system in my opinion. You can drop the box on any crossbar and be on the road in 10 minutes.
1995 Bronco XLT, 1996 Explorer XLT, 1999 Expedition EB, 2003 Expedition EB, 2004 Expedition EB Premium
Old 12-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Freshman User

bjtor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thule box fix

I have a Thule North Cape box and it used to rattle around on the factory rack, so I called Thule and they sent me rubber covers made to fit the steel brackets. Now the rack is tight and quiet (and it does not move around on bumpy roads). Thule customer service was great.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:08 AM