Sponsored by:

Backup cameras

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 AM
herojeep
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backup cameras

I know there are the license plate frame cameras and audio store cameras out there. Has anyone installed the camera which is built into the 3rd brake light. It replaces the entire lens with a new one including the rear view camera. I don't have a picture posting site but here are some links. (are links allowed on FTE?)

Gentex Third Brake Light Camera For Excursion Models High Mount 3rd Brake Light,

MobileVideo4Less.com: NEW! 03-05 Ford Third Brake Light w/ Built in CCD Color Camera for Expedition, Navigator & Excursion,

Expedition & Navigator OEM Brakelight Color Backup Camera.

Anyone use this? I'm not so interested in long range view but backing up and trailer hookups. It seems being up so high you would have a wider view directly behind the bumper where I need it most. I like the flush mount install but how's the sight and viewing angle?

Wifey will soon have the Bushwacked EX back and hauling the 4 kids. She has 'suggested' I get a backup camera for it.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
BigRy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant believe they charge so much for something that can be done for less than a quarter of that.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...l-in-an-x.html

And the holy grail of backup camera thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...up-camera.html

Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I looked at the 3rd light solution and just couldn't justify the price. I finally mounted mine in the rear door handle. Little more work but I can see the hitch clearly and it's not visible unless you look close.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 AM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
if you see post number 215 in this thread, I did the same sort of setup with the cheapo camera from sams club. several pictures there of my setup too. there is lots of info in this thread on the whole camera setup ..
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7613087

Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 AM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
DJ - I should have mentioned I got the idea from you! Sorry about that!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I actually tried to install one of those third brake light cameras for the same reasons at the original poster.

Without getting into too much detail...this camera's view does not include the bumper or hitch. I did hook one up and try it...I measured and the view started something like 24" behind the Ex...so it would be useless for hooking up a trailer.

EDIT...here is some of my install....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...installed.html.

I should add that I later moved the camera to a spot on top of the bumper just under the double doors. Hardly noticeable and a much better view.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
tetsuo73
Junior User
Those 3rd light camera are damn expensive.
I did the cheaper way took a hole saw, and removed one of the bulb on the 3rd brake light. installed one camera there.

IMO the 3rd light spot is not a good place if you want to see really close like right in front of your bumper. That is why I added a 2nd camera under the hitch.

If you do want to the 3rd brake light location I would suggest you get a 3 or 4mm lens for a wide angle view.

The hitch camera I got off of ebay it has build in IR LEDs for night time. think it was around $25.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ed-camera.html

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Do the license plate mounted ones not work well for hooking up trailers ?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 AM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by njneer1
Do the license plate mounted ones not work well for hooking up trailers ?
They work darn good. Hitch over ball first try almost every time for me.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:37 AM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tetsuo73
Those 3rd light camera are damn expensive.
I did the cheaper way took a hole saw, and removed one of the bulb on the 3rd brake light. installed one camera there.

IMO the 3rd light spot is not a good place if you want to see really close like right in front of your bumper. That is why I added a 2nd camera under the hitch.

If you do want to the 3rd brake light location I would suggest you get a 3 or 4mm lens for a wide angle view.

The hitch camera I got off of ebay it has build in IR LEDs for night time. think it was around $25.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ed-camera.html

one thing to keep in mind with the 3rd brake setup is inspection..I did the same thing, and ended up having to remove the camera, replace the harness/bulb and make a red cover as it would not pass the state inspection without the center bulb functional and unobstructed...

Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 AM
tetsuo73
Junior User
Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
one thing to keep in mind with the 3rd brake setup is inspection..I did the same thing, and ended up having to remove the camera, replace the harness/bulb and make a red cover as it would not pass the state inspection without the center bulb functional and unobstructed...
My is reg in state of NY. NY you can pull into any shop and get an inspection. Most place just take the money and see if you have a check eng light on and you pass. Was told they don't make money off of the inspections and it takes up a bay space. But maybe in other states where you have to take your car into a state DMV place they may bust you for it. I would think my x would fail for HID, and dark tints if I took it into a state DMV place.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:28 AM
tacoma
Freshman User
Does anybody any experience with a gps/navigation unit that has a integrated wireless backup camera? I have a the OEM backup camera on my 08 F150 and it makes backing up to the toyhauler easy. We just got an 05 Excursion this past weekend and I read the post in regards to the backup camera from Sams. After doing some searching I found these units that also incorporate a gps.

Here are some examples:

Navsgo:
GO740RV

Nextar:
Nextar - Your Source for Portable Multimedia Entertainment Electronics

Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tacoma
Does anybody any experience with a gps/navigation unit that has a integrated wireless backup camera? I have a the OEM backup camera on my 08 F150 and it makes backing up to the toyhauler easy. We just got an 05 Excursion this past weekend and I read the post in regards to the backup camera from Sams. After doing some searching I found these units that also incorporate a gps.

Here are some examples:

Navsgo:
GO740RV

Nextar:
Nextar - Your Source for Portable Multimedia Entertainment Electronics
I would stick with a Garmin or TomTom for GPS and personally, I like the TomTom better. (At least in the $100 - $150 range.)

Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
herojeep
Senior User
Wow! Thanks guys.

Matt, M PA, That is exactly what I was hoping to hear, someone that tried it. Like you said it starts 24" back, not what I'm looking for. A toy or small child could fit in that area which I want to avoid as well.

bcrewcaptain, I did not even think about inspection! Here in California we don't have yearly inspections (yet) but the PoPo has eagle eyes.

BigRy, thanks for the great links.

tdappleman, Does your view from that location catch the edge of the bumper? (edit) opened my eyes and noticed that was part of the bumper in the video. Is that the widest view from that location or are their wider view cameras out there?

Now I just have to find the right placement I guess. My objective is to include the edge of the bumper and trailer hitch. I am only concerned with about a two foot area directly below the back of the vehicle. I have 4 kids under 6 and had a friend accidentally run over their child. I would hate to have that happen to me or Wifey.

Last edited by herojeep; 10-28-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: comment on posted picture from previous post.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by herojeep
tdappleman, Does your view from that location catch the edge of the bumper? (edit) opened my eyes and noticed that was part of the bumper in the video. Is that the widest view from that location or are their wider view cameras out there?
It does catch the bumper - my main goal was really just viewing the hitch to hook up the boat. They do make wider viewing angles - I've seen them up to about 170*. I choose this one because I originally had it on my Expedition and it would easily fit into the space. I thought about changing the angle slightly so the hitch was more centered but when I tested it the picture was skewed a bit.

Here is an example of the wider view: 170° REAR VIEW SHARP CHIP CCD REVERSE BACKUP CAMERA MC7:eBay Motors (item 170385501811 end time Nov-19-09 19:56:01 PST)

Quick Reply: Backup cameras