Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 steering column needs. And a cruise question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
PonchoV8
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 steering column needs. And a cruise question.

Guys, I need a couple of parts for this F350 I'm putting back together. One is a tilt only part, and one is in both tilt and non-tilts (same part).

(1) The rod that runs from the key switch to the ignition switch was broken, so I opened the column to replace it. Now I find that the cast aluminum piece behind the key switch is broken as well. This is the part I need. It's in both tilt and non-tilt columns.

(2) The previous owner decided to bust the collar at the base of the tilt pivot to get to the broken rod instead of dismantling the column. So I need that collar if anyone has a junk tilt laying around. Without it, anyone can start my truck. They can't turn the wheel unless they knock the lock out, but still...

(3) The two brass contacts (brushes) that are attached to my turn signal switch are worn out. I think they're cruise control bushings. They ride at the 1 or 2 o'clock position and when the steering wheel is removed, they stick out at the driver. They are mounted on the end of springs that make contact with the back of the wheel kinda like a horn contact does. Are these available? Do they come with a new turn signal switch? I would like to have an operating cruise control.

Thanks in advance,

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
PonchoV8
Junior User
This post is useless without pics. If nobody cares I'm going to bump this some so I can post pics at the 25th post.

PICS AT THE LAST POST. Sorry, but I'm not a spammer. I'll be around a while to help too.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
PonchoV8
Junior User
bump to post pics.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
PonchoV8
Junior User
Hope to have my west coast mirrors via UPS by this weekend so I can safely back the truck and still see around the dump bed.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rod actuator breaking is a very common issue for these trucks, in my opinion Ford should have never designed the columns like they did, but should have instead either kept the dashboard-mounted switch like the 70s trucks have, or adapted a fullsize passenger car column as those have both nicer tilts and essentially no parts that break in them. I believe the broken actuator is only available thought a dealership.

Honestly, in your situation I'd hit a junkyard and find a good column from an '87-'91 truck that has both tilt and cruise, it may be cheaper than trying to locate only your missing pieces.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:07 PM
PonchoV8
Junior User
When I bought the truck the owner said the rods break. I was not sure if he was being honest or just covering for some of the damage.
I wore Pull-a-Part out this weekend and every single column there was in pieces of some sort. I guess I know why. I got two replacement rods though, and saw the alum piece that I need, but I cut it to get the rods. The collar is the sticking point. I don't know that I can find one easily in a yard.

On the cruise, something this old is going to have lots of wear on the contacts (if those are the contacts that I think they are), so I'd rather just rebuild that portion if I can find the info and parts. If someone has a spare tilt column, I'd take it.

I still can't post pics though, even after eclipsing 25 posts.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Honestly, when I got my truck it had the same issue with the rod and the actuator, so instead of fixing all that mess I just installed toggle switches on the dash, never since have I missed the real ignition switch or all the BS that is used to make it work.

Don't know on the contacts, mine are not too bad so I never really looked into them being replaceable...

Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,117 Likes on 2,174 Posts
the rod only breaks when an animal that does not know what they are doing tries to fix the column.
the ignition actuator is the little cast piece that breaks. it costs around $13 from the ford dealer.
and it is a how you use it item as far as breaking goes. on my 88 i have replaced one, at 90k miles.
on the other trucks that the drivers used, i had to replace them on average every 20-30 k miles, because they were rough on the trucks.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Tom, I still think they were poorly designed - I never saw an '80s Panther platform with ignition switch linkage issues, mainly because the tilt of those is right at the wheel's base, and not halfway down the column, so the lock tumbler never moves with relation to the switch itself. Also if you've noticed many new vehicles have the switches and tumblers on the dash now, just like the '70s trucks...

Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PonchoV8
I still can't post pics though, even after eclipsing 25 posts.

Did you try the easy way??? Try getting a photobucket.com account and post all your pics on there and put the link on here... you can just cut and copy the address from photobucket its like [IMG] bla bla bla [IMG]

Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
PonchoV8
Junior User
Photobucket? Sounds difficult. Just kidding. I'll run one up this evening. I don't have a pic of the collar or the brush contacts yet. The truck's stored somewhere else.

EDIT: My dealer has the ignition actuator at $13 also. I wonder if it comes with whatever attaches it to the black trolley that is on the back of the lock cylinder? My actuator was just laying in the bottom of the column unattached to anything. I never saw how it was attached. Is any lubricant recommended when replacing the actuator?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M.L.S.C.
The rod actuator breaking is a very common issue for these trucks, in my opinion Ford should have never designed the columns like they did, but should have instead either kept the dashboard-mounted switch like the 70s trucks have, or adapted a fullsize passenger car column as those have both nicer tilts and essentially no parts that break in them. I believe the broken actuator is only available thought a dealership.

Honestly, in your situation I'd hit a junkyard and find a good column from an '87-'91 truck that has both tilt and cruise, it may be cheaper than trying to locate only your missing pieces.
OK so I already have a F-350 tilt and cruise column that I am going to put into my F-250 with out tilt and cruise...It was free from a guy I know. I want to make sure the column is still good, and that I don't have to replace the actuator or rod. How hard is it to take apart the column to look at? does anyone have pictures of the column the way it should be? Can anyone give me a quick list of what to do to tear it down and check it's condition?????? Thanks GUYS!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,117 Likes on 2,174 Posts
Originally Posted by PonchoV8
Photobucket? Sounds difficult. Just kidding. I'll run one up this evening. I don't have a pic of the collar or the brush contacts yet. The truck's stored somewhere else.

EDIT: My dealer has the ignition actuator at $13 also. I wonder if it comes with whatever attaches it to the black trolley that is on the back of the lock cylinder? My actuator was just laying in the bottom of the column unattached to anything. I never saw how it was attached. Is any lubricant recommended when replacing the actuator?
i use white lithium grease on all moving parts inside the column.

Originally Posted by nstueve
OK so I already have a F-350 tilt and cruise column that I am going to put into my F-250 with out tilt and cruise...It was free from a guy I know. I want to make sure the column is still good, and that I don't have to replace the actuator or rod. How hard is it to take apart the column to look at? does anyone have pictures of the column the way it should be? Can anyone give me a quick list of what to do to tear it down and check it's condition?????? Thanks GUYS!
i have never done a non tilt column. but if you do a search on ignition actuator, i am sure you will find a step by step repair procedure, cause there are at least 6 threads on doing the repair that i know of in the 87-97 forum