6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
bhalulko
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Smoke

Good day. I'm about 5 minutes new to this site, and I'm just looking for some general help with my 2008 F250. Around 25k miles, I started noticing that pure white smoke would occasionally pour from the exhaust, concurrent with severe loss in power. This was prevalent after driving far distances in rain and then pulling out from a stop, or in dry conditions at low ambient temperatures when in regen.

Up to 36k miles, it started happening more frequently. Now, it would happen whether it's in regen or not, whether it's raining or not, whether it's cold out or not.

I took it to the Ford dealership this week, and they say that they've reprogrammed it. I've only put on about 30 miles since the reprogram, but now, it's blowing out a puff of black/white smoke when accelerating from a stop, just like any other diesel truck would do without all of the added emissions controls on the exhaust. Furthermore, the exhaust now smells like any other older diesel truck would smell, when before the reprogram, it had a very new, distinct, and almost intolerable smell to the exhaust. Finally, the exhaust pressure is much higher, and seems hotter, than it was before the reprogram.

I'm lost on this problem, and I've got to drive the truck from PA to Michigan on Monday morning, for work. I don't know whether these new symptoms are normal and not symptoms at all, or if they could be the result of a bad reprogram.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
There is a known problem on some trucks. There is a TSB out there to replace the CAC (charge air cooler) or your intercooler. This may help with the white smoke issue. But you didn't say it stumbles or anything. Still may be the cause.

It does sound like a bad re-flash too. Almost sounds like it is over fueling. How is your boost? it it more than before.

With only 30 miles I don't think you would have any idea on the mpgs but I bet that is worse too.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 AM
ssharber
Tuned
I had the same issue, and the dealer replaced my intercooler, per a TSB #08-25-1 on the problem. Apparently some early Job # 1 trucks and possibly some later ones have this issue where the intercooler will develop a small leak which somehow allows condensation to develop and cause the white smoke. Also, you mentioned a loss of power. Thats also symptomatic of the problem but is not mentioned in the TSB. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them to look for the TSB, or find it here by searching for it. If you're over 36000 miles, youll have to pay 100.00 for the repair, but youll have a brand new intercooler. Mine's been great since the fix.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:48 AM
bhalulko
New User
Originally Posted by senix
There is a known problem on some trucks. There is a TSB out there to replace the CAC (charge air cooler) or your intercooler. This may help with the white smoke issue. But you didn't say it stumbles or anything. Still may be the cause.

It does sound like a bad re-flash too. Almost sounds like it is over fueling. How is your boost? it it more than before.

With only 30 miles I don't think you would have any idea on the mpgs but I bet that is worse too.
It does stumble- it goes to like half power, starts jerking and rattling...it feels exactly the same as hitting the rev limiter in a manual shift 4 cyl car.

Funny thing is that all of the paint has bubbled and started peeling from the lower right side of my intercooler...without explanation. Just in one particular spot, though. Probably where it's leaking...

My mpg's were shot when I got the truck back from Ford. I spend half my day idling on jobsites and the other half at 65 mph on the highway...and I still have a dashboard average of 14. I've gotten a little over 20 mpg on 5 hour highway drives....now I get the truck back, and my dashboard is down to 9.8 mpg. I'm probably over reacting about nothing, but it still concerned me.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:11 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Read through the stuff on this link:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ch-folder.html

There are several small issues that can be resolved and most dealer service dept's. don't really keep up with the TSB lists.

You do need a new CAC but I have to say that it only helps the problem, still happens to me when towing heavy in the rain.

You should look into the high idle mod too. It's easy and might be better for your engine if you idle it a lot. Supposed to save the EGR valve and coolers.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:18 PM
bhalulko
New User
Test Drive

I just took it for a 20 mile test drive. MPG's are slowly climbing, but now I've noticed a new problem. After about 8 miles, my CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message popped up...and then almost immediately went away. The screen changed back to the odometer.

I hit the button and went to the System Check option, and chose it. All the system checks went through OK...and the last screen of the system check said CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER...and then, went away again.

At about 18 miles into the trip, the truck lost alot of power, going downhill. The engine tacked up, and it hit nearly 50% of boost on the Turbo. This condition lasted for about 30 seconds, and then went back to normal, after hearing a loud POP in the exhaust system.

I again hit the button for System Check...this time, no messages concerning the regen appeared.

Before the dealership reprogrammed last week, my CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message would stay on the screen until I received the EXHAUST FILTER DRIVE COMPLETE alert. This time, no such luck.

I'm starting to feel like they programmed more problems into the computer- I would have been better off not taking it up there for the white smoke problem.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
they rolled back the programming is what it sounds like to me. They need to go onto the motorcraft website and make sure they are using the correct program.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:28 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Sounds to me that you may have a couple things going on.

First, symptoms of lots of idle time are sticky EGR valves, which messes with the pressure in the exhaust, which can trip the PCM into thinking that a regen is necessary. Never heard anyone speak of a "pop" in the exhaust but you may have an issue with your DPF filter if there is black smoke/sooty pipe tips.

Other problems could be a faulty sensor in the exhaust system, or, as Senix points out, wrong PCM flash. You might be able to get them to revert to the programming you had before your latest service visit.

Caution: If you have an EGR issue watch your coolant level very closely. If your EGR coolers are leaking then you will see erratic coolant temps followed by engine failure.

Your white smoke could be coolant but I'd think you could smell it. If things settle down don't idle it for longer than it would take to fill up the fuel tank or grab a burger for lunch and do the high idle mod.

I have never had it happen to me but I would bet on the EGR valve being sticky, not failed yet which explains the erratic behavior.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:54 PM
bhalulko
New User
High Idle Modification

How do I perform the high idle modification, so that I can manually turn it on when I'm going to be idling for a while?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
All you have to do is connect the yellow/green wire in the PTO bundle to one of the 12V upfitter switches. Strip the ends of the two wires, use a crimped butt connector and you are done.

Read this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...high-idle.html

Old 09-27-2009, 03:43 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted about the CAC TSB in you other post in the Super/Heavy Duty section.

Originally Posted by ssharber
............ If you're over 36000 miles, youll have to pay 100.00 for the repair, but youll have a brand new intercooler.....

Mine was replaced last week for free at 62,000 miles.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM
bhalulko
New User
CAC Replaced

They just replaced my Charge Air Cooler today, for free. Would have been a $550 repair total. Mileage is at 37,500...I put on another 800 miles or so, this week, without the new CAC, but after the dealership reprogram.

After the reprogram, I was still getting white smoke while accelerating in the rain. We'll see if the new CAC helps.

But, check this out- after the newest codes were entered, and after a trip to Detroit and back, my average MPG is up to almost 15. The dash reads 14.7 MPG, and my manual calculation at the pump was about 15.2.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:18 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine feels like it has more power out of the hole now that the CAC has been changed. I wonder if theold one was plugged in some way, of if it was leaking boost?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
bhalulko
New User
You know what? I thought that same thing, too, when I was driving home from the dealership today...but then I thought maybe I was just crazy, and my brain was just "trying" to feel something different since the repair was made.

But yes, I swear I felt more power, too. The turbo whine even sounds a little stronger.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I felt the same thing when I got the new CAC. Seemed to have a little more grunt, a little more with less throttle. But don't worry, you'll get used to it quickly and forget about it.

I can still make the engine stumble in the wet weather if I have a heavy load but it is better than it used to be.