Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM
New User

cleazy55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel pump runs for 15 seconds after key turned on, noise under the hood by left batt

Just bought the truck a month ago. A friend of mine test drove the truck but decided not to buy it. It left him on the road. The owner came and got him, relieved the fuel off the filter for just a second and the truck started. I don't think that helped any because the truck has died on me a couple times on the road. If you let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour it will start back up. When you turn the key on, about 3 seconds later there is something making a hum kind of noise beside the left battery. Right now when the truck is cold and you turn the key on the fuel pump will run for about 13-15 seconds before it turns off. The truck will start, it just takes about 1-2 seconds longer to start then it should. I have changed the cam sensor, checked the oil level in the hpop, changed fuel filter, I changed the motor oil right after I bought it.
Is the fuel pump getting weak or the fuel regulator maybe causing this???
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
New User

My bad, the truck is a 2002 7.3 4x4 crew cab.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Welcome to FTE.
Since you've already changed the CPS, I am now suspicious of the system that controls the HPOP pressure.
The sensor on the head, if you unplug it, is it oily inside?
Also a sticky IPR (injection pressure regulator) on the bottom rear of the HPOP could be the cause of the symptoms you describe.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:39 AM
New User

I pulled the plug in the top of the hpop and it has oil up to about 1" from the top. I have an uncle with a 7.3 and his would run but would not restart, it was a sensor on the hpop but don't know for sure which one it is. I have not checked it for codes, but don't remember seeing a check engine after the truck shut off going down the road. It shut off like you turned off the key.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Postmaster

triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ive got a pic to help explain the sensor that Dan is referring to. Its the ICP sensor.

I think the hum next to the left battery youre hearing is just the vacuum pump doing its job.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 PM
New User

I pulled the sensor off the rail and it has plenty of oil there also. Do I need to replace this sensor or should I check for codes. I have not checked for codes but from what I have read, I may not even have a code for this problem(engine shutting down going down the road). What next??
Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Postmaster

triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.triskit16 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If there is oil in the sensor then the sensor is bad from what I remember...

I think this is the part number from Ford: F6TZ9F838A

www.ftepartsguy.com has them for like 125 or so.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Senior User

agg_bagg is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
you don't need to take the sensor out of the head........ just unplug the wires to the sensor and see if there is any oil inside the plug where the wires connect to.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Postmaster

aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.aldridgec has a very good reputation on FTE.
Left battery should be drivers side, which would be the ABS pump self testing.

ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician

Current Vehicles:
2002 F-250 7.3L PSD 4x4 XLT
2002 Sunset Orange Mettalic WS6 Trans Am Convertible

"Maybe is for those who lack skill"
Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
If you let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour it will start back up.
^^^^ Most common indication of a bad IPR.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
New User

Thanks for all the help. no oil at the electrical connection on the head sensor.
Yes if you let it sit for 30 minutes or more it will restart.
I believe from what I hear it is definately the ipr sensor. Can it be seen at all with the fuel bowl still in place. I have looked for it but can't seem to see it. Just the fuel heater plug and the one beside it is the fuel regulator I do believe.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
New User

My bad, in the picture above what I thought was the fuel regulator is listed as the IPR.
Is it worth trying to tear apart and clean. I found a link and fairly detailed description telling how to tear apart. Or just buy a new one.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleazy55 View Post
My bad, in the picture above what I thought was the fuel regulator is listed as the IPR.
Is it worth trying to tear apart and clean. I found a link and fairly detailed description telling how to tear apart. Or just buy a new one.
You can try. Some people have success, others don't. So it's up to you.

Oh, forgot to mention.... the fuel pump running for 15 seconds with the key on is perfectly normal. It won't stay running until you start the engine.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 PM
New User

Just to let everyone know, looks like changing the IPR fixed the problem. (One the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again.)
Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Postmaster

Glad we could help and thanks for posting the results!

Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
clicking, dash, dies, f250, ford, fuel, key, noise, powerstroke, pump, running, runs, seconds, truck, turns