6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How do I disconnect my fuel lines from my HFCM. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Jeremy2792
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I disconnect my fuel lines from my HFCM. Help!

Here is my scenerio;

My truck has been sitting outside for about 2 months without being ran. [It won't fit into the garage]

So when I came back from out of state and started to drive it, it was running perfectly fine. Started RIGHT UP! I drove it for about 70 miles or so, and she started running extremely rough. I lost about 80% of power and she was idling just barely hanging out. So I drove home that night barely making it, I parked it in the drive way shut it off, and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. So I left it till the morning [Yesterday-Sunday] and woke up and she started right up, I let her run for about 10minutes.

What I assumed was, the tank had some debris in it from sitting for so long, so I changed the fuel filters, just incase they sucked up algae/water from the 2 months of sitting. After I changed the filters, I followed the directions that tell you to prime the filters. [Turn the key on 30seconds/off for 15 and repeat 3 times to get fuel flowing into the filters and lines] Well now she won't crank at all, and you can tell that there is absolutely no fuel being sent to the engine on start up.

My assumption is the pump sucked up some debris and clogged the lines;

So what I need to know is how do I disconnect the fuel line from the HFCM and also the tank? I need to disconnect the line that goes from the tank to the filter/pump. That way I can take the line and purge air threw it just to make sure that there is no debris. Because my primary filter is STILL DRY after trying to start it.

**P.S. As for the secondary filter, we took out the filter and filled it with diesel and then put the filter back in while sealing the cap. Tried starting the engine and it didn't even suck the fuel out of the secondary fuel filter which is located on top of the engine. So what could be the cause of that?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated. I am trying to get this truck back on the road ASAP!

Thank you,
-Jeremy.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
You need a set of tools like this. Very inexpensive.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The tools that bpounds described is what you need. The lines are known as "quick disconnect" lines. When you get the plastic disconnect tools (available at any parts store) choose the one that fits over the line with the small end toward the disconnect. Slide the tool into the disconnect. This will disengage the little spring clips that hold the line in place. With the tool still in place remove the line. Be sure to check for an "O" ring on the line or in the fitting. When you reinstall the line you do not need the tool. Just insert he line into the fitting and push until you hear a click. That will be be the spring clips seating behind the line retainer.

DSMMH