6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Advice Needed (Turbo Endplay)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM
tidbit
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Advice Needed (Turbo Endplay)

So.. I will go down the long story.

3rd EGR valve at the stealership.. I have been complaining about my turbo for months now.. Under heavy pull it will beep a couple times.. and then the truck would sound like it's running in 1st gear.. no boost.. sluggest.. ontop of that they are saying the EGR cooler has failed.. I will be doing my own delete.. after I solve my turbo issues..

ok.. now.. it's under warranty.. but the egr system isn't.. they denied the turbo because of maintenance and the fact that no part has actually "failed" (i have all my reciepts of work done.. mostly by myself).. I basically told them to f-off and took my truck back.. open my truck up and there is still dust/soot buildup on the IC tubing.. so nothing was looked at.. stupid companies.. Portland guys.. NEVER NEVER use Gresham Ford for diesel service.. they dont know what they are doing **END RANT**

ok.. Now onto the good stuff.. I was running the truck a few days back and noticed oil coming from the rear diff.. on second look it was coming out of the exhaust muffler.. Tore into the IC/turbo and noticed all the oil.. (see pics)..

Endplay is more than 0.5 mm side to side (will give exact number tomorrow)... there isn't much axial movement at all.. What my question is.. could all that oil be dumping from the turbo? and has anyone heard of dripping of engine oil going all the way down the exhaust to the final muffler?

I searched for this specific problem.. but I haven't seen something this extreme on the forum yet.. or maybe i'm blind.. I just dont trust the dealerships.. and I want to make sure I track down the problem myself so I can tell them what to replace.. and make sure they fix the problem.

thanks a bunch guys

*ps for some reason i cannot attach pics..** prob a lack of posts thing..

Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 PM
jboczar
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drop the exhaust from your turbo going down to your cat,muffler,etc. at the turbo when its hot, if you are not seeing any blue smoke then you turbo is probably not leaking but look for oil at that exhaust clamp because that is where it would be if it was. The other cause of dripping black stuff out the exhaust is usually coolant because it turns black as it collects the exhaust on its way out. Oil however gets burned, the leak would have to be severe and obvious to drip out the exhaust. Also axial movement is what you are looking for, side to side they all have some movement, as long as the blades can not touch the housing, no big deal. hope that helps

Old 08-08-2009, 12:30 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
The acceptable tolerance is measured in axial play (in and out) and there should be no more then .091mm (0.0036in).

The oil in the boots is most likely coming from the ccv (crankcase vent). this is normal although many of us re-route this vent somewhere else or through a filter.

You do need to resolve the issues w/ the EGR valve (and turbo) coking (and the poor combustion you are getting).

If it is coolant coming out of your exhaust, then (as they and jboczar stated) you have an EGR cooler leak. IMO, this could easily cause pluggage w/ the EGR valve and Turbo. Find another dealership. All your problems are related to the EGR cooler IMO.

Also, keep in mind these things below can also have an effect on coking:

Do you -
Change oil and filters at proper intervals
Change fuel filters w/ OEM filters at proper intervals
Use fuel additives
Minimize idling (unless you have the high idle mod)
Also -
What is your air filter change history
Have you had the most recent flash
What is your fuel economy

Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
tidbit
Junior User
Originally Posted by jboczar
Drop the exhaust from your turbo going down to your cat,muffler,etc. at the turbo when its hot, if you are not seeing any blue smoke then you turbo is probably not leaking but look for oil at that exhaust clamp because that is where it would be if it was. The other cause of dripping black stuff out the exhaust is usually coolant because it turns black as it collects the exhaust on its way out. Oil however gets burned, the leak would have to be severe and obvious to drip out the exhaust. Also axial movement is what you are looking for, side to side they all have some movement, as long as the blades can not touch the housing, no big deal. hope that helps
the coolant is what I thought was first dripping from out of the exhaust.. but it is def oil.. I am not exactly sure what it an acceptable amount of oil in the intercooler.. I wish i could attach pics for you guys to see..

I will def try pulling the exhaust and see if is the turbo.. but it seems like i need to solve the egr issues first.. I was going to do it until i saw/had this leaking problem.

I know I have an egr cooler issue.. and that needs to be addressed first.. then when I am there I will check the turbo.. thanks a bunch for the advice.. this is why forums are so useful..

Old 08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
tidbit
Junior User
Originally Posted by bismic
The acceptable tolerance is measured in axial play (in and out) and there should be no more then .091mm (0.0036in).

The oil in the boots is most likely coming from the ccv (crankcase vent). this is normal although many of us re-route this vent somewhere else or through a filter.
That is what I thought.. My turbo is def outside thoes margins.. Think the dealership will have a fit when they see that my egr system is removed? :/...

I will for sure do some searching on the forum for the ccv mod.. thanks!..

Originally Posted by bismic
Do you -
Use fuel additives
Also -
Have you had the most recent flash
What is your fuel economy
Yes to all of the above that is removed.. I change my oil with Rotilla T.. fuel/air ect.. even check coolant alkali

No to fuel additives.. uhm.. as to the flash... No.. I do have a tune.. which is now off.. but I ran the economy setting off the SCT turner for a long time.. as for fuel econ.. 17-19mpg consistantly

Thanks for the advice guys.. it seems like she needs some tlc... i normally work on most of my cars.. the basics.. But I stayed away from this beast because of a warranty.. Should have never bought it.. oh well live and learn

Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
dieselsmoker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when my turbo went out in my truck i had oil at the exhaust tip too, but it was to due a broken impeler shaft, so ur turbo might be messed up who know