6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 6.0L PSD Rough Idle and Running - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM
JSVGS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 6.0L PSD Rough Idle and Running - Ideas?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to FTE and I'm glad I joined. Allot of good information, and I've read though the bible and allot of the forums

Here is my story.

I bought a 2003 6.0 L diesel excursion last year to haul my trailer and all my family. I'm the 3 owner (I think). It's the perfect vehicle for us, but we've been having some problems with it.

Last week I was hauling my trailer home from storage to get it ready for the weekend (about 20 miles). I was going around a corner, with the trailer on, and noticed from mirror that there was black smoke coming from the tail pipe (not allot just when I accelerate). It was odd because it never smoked before, other than start up. Dropped the trailer off and had the x running for about 10 minutes and idling fine.
About an hour later I took it to goto a store (about 10 miles away). Stopped at a stop sign and the vehicle started to idle rough and started to chug. Drove onto a highway and no problems - came back home and then the problem started.
Really rough Idle and no power - stalled in the drive way twice. Let it cool down and it started but rough. Hooked up my OBDII with no errors or faults. Read the forums and checked my fuel filters for water (nothing) - changed the fuel filters about 2500 miles ago. Changed oil about 750 miles. I've cleaned the EGR and it was carboned up. Started the x after cleaning the EGR, and sitting for the day, it ran good for about 3 minutes and then started to run rough again. Black smoke comes out when the engine is accelerating.
Is it possible that I have a HPOP problem because this starts when oil viscosity decreases?
I also called a local dealer to get oasis info from them - found out it was in the dealer 3 times in 2007 and 2008 for problems like this. They replaced 2 injectors the fuel pump and EGR.. 3 months ago I had an oil leak from the turbo drain line and it was repaired.
Am I on the right track? Should I add any additive to the oil maybe to resolve stiction? Also why can't I pick up any codes with my scanner?

Thanks JSVGS

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
Welcome!
The black smoke may indicate more injectors going bad (unburned fuel). Also, has the injector control pressure (ICP) sensor been changed? Mine went bad last summer and it's fairly common. I don't think it's the HPOP and the oil is probably fine if you're using a CI-4 or better.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 PM
JSVGS
New User
Thanks Jim for replying,

No the ICP hasn't been changed - I'll look into that.

How can I tell which injector is faulty with no codes coming up?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Welcome to FTE!!

You'll have to get it scanned with a better piece of equipment to know which injector is bad.. Do it ASAP.. Leaking injectors can lead to very serious problems.. Check you're oil level to see if you're "making oil".. Excessive fuel can get past the rings and into the crankcase..

The fuel pump was changed recently.. If the old pump was running slow and starving the injectors, that is probably the cause for the injector failure now.. Hopefully these are the last to go for a long while..

Fuel pressure gauges should be added to every 6.0.. These injectors are too easily damaged by low pressure..

Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Welcome to FTE JSVGS Glad to have you on board.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 PM
JSVGS
New User
Update:

I was wrong. I looked at one of my old invoices and the ICP was changed (3 months ago). I also had a leak of my turbo drain tube repaired

When I took off the EGR to clean it, when I lifted it up and down there was a klung in the actuator - is that normal?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
Originally Posted by JSVGS
Update:

I was wrong. I looked at one of my old invoices and the ICP was changed (3 months ago). I also had a leak of my turbo drain tube repaired

When I took off the EGR to clean it, when I lifted it up and down there was a klung in the actuator - is that normal?

Yes. No worries.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM
JSVGS
New User
Another update:

Thanks Jim and William for replying - had to take the X into the dealer to get the diagnostics done. It was injector 1 and 3 that were the problems. Thanks again!!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:37 PM
JIM_C
Elder User
You're welcome JSV - and by the way, I accept cash and money orders.
One last thing - those weren't the injectors that have already been replaced, are they?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:54 PM
JSVGS
New User
Thanks Jim - Checks in the mail;

The orginal injectors were 2 and 4 so I only have 4 more to go. Do you think it would be worth it to replace the balance of the 4 injectors or just change my fuel filters on a more regular basis?

The only real thing I have left on my 6.0 L is the head gasket. The dealer was telling me that there is a retrokit for the head gasket and the cooling system (the egr). It would cost about $4000 to do. Is he trying to make a sale or is this really worth it? From the Oasis report this 6.0 L has been problematic. I plan on taking a long trip next year with this - should I do the injectors and head gasket revamp?

Thanks again
JSVGS

Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
JIM_C
Elder User
That's a tough call JSV. How long do you intend to keep the truck? Personally, I plan to keep my truck forever so I bit the bullet and did EGR blockoff, ARP headstuds, and the upgraded gaskets your dealer mentioned. Note that all of that work cost less (~$3400) than what your dealer is quoting you for just head gaskets and the upgraded EGR cooler (did I understand you correctly that the dealer has an upgraded EGR cooler to install, maybe like http://www.ntshoptools.com/Ford_Power_Stroke_EGR.html or just a new factory EGR cooler?). If you decide to do it, I say do it all at once while the guts are on the table, otherwise labor costs will eat you alive. It may be cheaper to shop around and find a reputable diesel mechanic with 6.0 experience.