1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To me, spot painting is not acceptable, I don't want to be able to see that there was damage. If they paint a panel, I want the whole panel painted.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cart, just reading this !

Whew, somebodies (maybe everybodies !) seat cushions need cleaning after that !

I got low balled on a total one time, and they gave me the check and I gave it back, and told them to find a replacement ....

they sent me pics of two that I refused and they finally ponied up with the right check...

be nice but don't settle too easily, or ask for too little,

one rule of negotiating is to let them set the bar height, not you...

Old 06-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The spot paint isn't as bad as it used to be since you have a base coat clear coat. I had some done to my old 95 one time and you couldn't tell. Being a black truck it really would stick out.

Bottom line if you are not satisfied, stay on the adjuster.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Good advice JD. I wouldn't let them spot it or blend it either. It probably takes more time to spot and blend than paint the whole panel.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cartmanea, sorry about the wreck! Looks like the Offroad tech bumper held up pretty good though! Theres more than likely some frame damage but I assume it could be easily fixed. Look at the frame just in front of the engine crossmember, theres a big square hole there and thats where they usually bend if hit hard enough, Ive straightened alot of them bent there. Your frame looks to be shoved over in the front, and possibly shoved back on the right side. Good luck, Hopefully it all works out in your favor!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Theres nothing wrong with the spot painting or blending, all they mean is that the color is blended so it still matches the other panel, the clear is applied over the whole panel, everything we paint gets blended, (except black) its how you make things match. You wont be able to see the area that was damaged if its done right.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Man sorry to hear about this, but I think you'll be able to fix it up (again) and keep it on the road. Good luck with it!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
a-rod, just wondering about black. Do you not blend because it doesn't need it or you paint the whole panel when you have black? When I was trained it was that you don't need to blend black, that you can have adjacent panels and still not need to blend, so I'm wondering if you're saying the same thing.

Cartmanea, if it were me, and it's not, it's you, I'd want as little work done to the panels as possible. As little intrusion into the paint, primer, e-coat, etc as necessary. Painting an entire panel is not always, and is very often not, the best repair.

By the way, painting a full panel just means where it meets the next panel you'll need to blend into it to make them match. Colors usually aren't perfect, yours are probably somewhat faded, etc. Take a perfect white fender and put it next to your faded door. How do you make them match? You have to paint a portion of the door (blend into the door). Then you're blending, one way or another. It's better to do as little work as possible to make them match. I'm sure there are a lot of different repair and paint procedures to get your truck back together, but again, usually you'll want the least amount of intrusion into factory painted panels. At least that's my experience/training talking.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Ace, your correct about the black, its the one color that doesnt need blended, black is black, unless theres a metallic in it or something like that.

Usually whites, and especially ford whites match very well, we paint alot of ford trucks for the oil field companys and we dont blend panels on those, and they always match good.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Thanks a-rod, I couldn't imagine you meant something else, but wanted to make sure.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:49 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Another adjuster came out today to look at damage that I said the first one missed. Got the other fender and hood added, other misc small stuff. Have to wait and see what they come back with.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
NOOOO! You killed a Centurion!

Damn man, that totally sucks. Doesn't look too bad at first glance, but from the side you can see it's all pushed back.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:09 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Virto
NOOOO! You killed a Centurion!
Well, in all reality, the Centurion committed suicide.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cartmanea
Well, in all reality, the Centurion committed suicide.
yup it sure did

Old 06-28-2009, 12:03 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Adam, since you do collision work you may be the one to ask. After I weld on new flanges on the ends of the frame rails, what is the best product to use for recoating and corrosion protection of the frame? Last time I just shot it with black paint and it rusted in no time. Do you use something like POR-15 in your shop or something else? Also thinking about getting the frame ends LineX'd when all is said and done.

Quick Reply: Totaled...