1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 Camaro subframe / SBF please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:22 PM
rustfarmer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
54 F100 / Camaro subframe / SBF please help

Here is where I am at:

I have a 54 with a Ford EFI motor, AOD trans and Camaro subframe. The PO had the motor set so far back. The firewall was recessed 8". The oil pan sat on the front crossmember literally. I pulled the motor and cut out the motormounts and cut out the recessed firewall. I really don't understand why the motor was set so far back. If you have a Camaro Subframe with a SBF please point me in the right direction.

I cut out a 56 firewall at a "junkyard". But its not the greatest shape - some rust. Is there a repro replacement?

As far as the Camaro Sub/ SBF please help. What oil pan are you running? Can you pull the oil pan without pulling the motor. Did you have to change the oil filter to a shorter one? Did you have to modify the floor?

Sorry about all the questions butI really need advice.

Thanks in advance,

jk

Last edited by rustfarmer; 05-08-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Rustfarmer, Your not gonna find many on here with a cheby front end. The PO of my 53 stuck a 78 Camaro frontend under it and then gave up on the resto. So I picked it up cheap. Swapped out the GM 10 bolt rearend for a ford 8.8 but decided to leave the frontend. Go to my gallery and look at pics in the "Begining" folder. I have some that I will try to download tomorrow (I'm at work now) that has the rebuilt motor installed.
I am running a 351W with a C6 trans. I don't know why your firewall is cut like that. Mine is original and the valve covers and everything clear by an inch or so. As for the oil pan it sits about 3/4 to 1 inch off the crossmember. Wont pull that baby without pulling the motor. Looks like my motor mounts are futher up and outward from where yours was mounted. Hope this helps. Lakota

Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 AM
rustfarmer
Junior User
Lakota, Thanks! I was checking out your gallery pics last night. I really can't figure any logical reason that the PO mounted the motor so far back. Your pics prove that a SBF can fit with the stock firewall. The oil pan is the only bummer - since it can't be pulled without removing the engine. Slipping a SBC in there seems alot easier. Heck I have a 327 and muncie sitting in the garage....?? But, I am looking forward to seeing more pics of your setup.

jk

Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow that firewall hole looks familiar, although it does look a lot neater than the one that use to reside in my 53 I think it was cut with a sawzall and a beaver LOL
I just finished "fixing" it last month... there are aftermarket replacements available but I made my own from sheet metal....... I haven't taken any pics yet but I should update the gallery....... I moved the engine forward 4 inches to get it out of the firewall.
Although it isn't a Chev frontend, Volare, I assume the PO placed the engine so far back to get the headers to clear the dodge steering box, or possibly that he didn't want to get a longer driveshaft who knows

Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
rustfarmer
Junior User
Sparky,

That crossed my mind too - that the PO didn't want to get a longer driveshaft. There was actually a firewall there a few days ago but I cut it out yesterday. I rough cut it by following the shape of the recess that was there. I'll fine tune it in a few days. Do you know what company carrys the repo firewalls? Are they stock looking? All I can find is the 4" recessed ones that Direct Sheetmetal carries.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Have you checked Mid Fifty for your firewall repair panels, seems to me that they sell them. Why not just replace the whole thing with a smooth flat panel of 18 ga sheet metal from fender mount to fender mount? You don't neeed the center indent Ford put in it to clear the SBC rear distributor
When switching to an IFS with a SBF, most use the rear sump pan and oil pump (Ford calls it a center sump?) originally made for the Bronco. AFAIK Ford still sells them thru their performance parts division or they show up on ebay regularly. I suspect your POS set the engine back to clear the crossmember. I don't think you could pull the pan without lifting the engine with a SBC either, but the OEM rear sump makes crossmember clearance easier.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:47 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
i've got a camaro front suspension but i'm running a 1958 sbc 283, and it sits about 1/4 inch from the fire wall. and i also have to raise the motor to get to the oil pan. so either way you go, unless you fabricate something, you'll be liftin the motor to get to the oil pan.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I guess oil pan clearance could have been the reason.....the 302 that I pulled had a front sump and the 351W I put in had a rear sump........ you could always get a dual sump pan from a late 80's mustang with a 5.0L ...... but I still think dropping the pan would be quite difficult with the motor installed.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:09 PM
rustfarmer
Junior User
Thanks for the replies guys! Ax thanks for pointing me towards midfifty. Just ordered my catalog. I am pretty sure the oil pan is a rear sump. I'll double check tomorrow when I get off of work. That 327 I have keeps winking at me everytime I walk past it.

jk

Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I forget that some don't have a Mid Fifty catalog! Wait until you get it, there is a wealth of useful info in it besides just parts listings, and Sy and her girls know more about trucks than all the other companies combined. You'l soo n know why we say everyone needs a MF catalog in their reference library.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 AM
rustfarmer
Junior User
Oh no. I bet the wifes not going to be happy when I have that catalog in my hands. Looks like lots of cool stuff to drool over and try and justify spending money on!

jk

Old 05-10-2009, 07:05 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I forget that some don't have a Mid Fifty catalog! Wait until you get it, there is a wealth of useful info in it besides just parts listings, and Sy and her girls know more about trucks than all the other companies combined. You'l soo n know why we say everyone needs a MF catalog in their reference library.
the pdf version of the catalog is online and downloadable..(and searchable) thats what I use all the time..

sam

Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I haven't paid the online version much mind, since I have a couple copies of the print version (I keep one in the truck for quick reference while I'm working and another next to the computer) is it the same as the print version with all the exploded views and extra information? It used to be just a listing of parts with a single picture or drawing of that part when you clicked for more details. I find the assembly drawings in the print version a very good reference as to how the part is used or what might be missing.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:39 PM
rustfarmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by mostly52f1
i've got a camaro front suspension but i'm running a 1958 sbc 283, and it sits about 1/4 inch from the fire wall. and i also have to raise the motor to get to the oil pan. so either way you go, unless you fabricate something, you'll be liftin the motor to get to the oil pan.
Shouldn't the SBC oil pan be able to come off while mounted on a Camaro subframe? Or is there something I am not understanding. Does the motor have to mounted differently than using the Camaro motormounts?

I'm leaning towards going with a Chevy motor.

jk

Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
The engine sits behind the front suspension on a Camaro. It sits over the crossmember in your truck. What's the big deal with having to jack the engine up to remove the oil pan? Plan on having to do it often? It's just a matter of removing the motor mount bolts and lifting or jacking the nose of the engine up a few inches. That's not a lot of extra work while you are down there anyways.

Quick Reply: 54 Camaro subframe / SBF please help