1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

54 Camaro subframe / SBF please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i made the motor mounts for the truck, like AXracer said the camaro motor sits different compared to our style truck, had issues with the steering components too, so i had to set it back a tad. it would of been possible to do more modification to get it to fit different, but i already had a driveshaft that would fit it if i scooted the motor back a bit. its no big deal to me to have to lift the motor to get to the oil pan... compare it to some of these 'new' cars and trucks out now, you have to take half the damn thing apart to do anything, all these plastic covers and whatnot.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
A suggestion. If you have pan removal problems. I purchased a 1986 Monte Carlo front suspension that has the steering box and the tie rods in front of the member. I wonder how many different chevy's have this option and if those parts would work on the camero front member. After all many chevy's parts are interchangeable. chuck

Old 05-10-2009, 08:38 PM
2losteve
Senior User
I'm fairly new to this forum and I just spent the last couple hours trying to upload photos to my gallery/alblum with no success. I also have a Camaro subframe with a 5.0 & AOD in my '56. I had no issues with the floor or firewall but, as previously stated, my engine sits right over the Camaro crossmember. I use the Mustang dual sump oil pan and the rear(main) sump is about an inch above/behind the rear of the crossmember. I am going to have to drop the pan and I know that will require raising the engine - at least, as I mounted the subframe high to get the truck to sit low. I don't know for sure, but I would suspect you would have the same situation with a SBC.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
rustfarmer
Junior User
Axe, you're right that its not that much harder to raise the motor a bit to get the pan off. But, since I am starting form scratch somewhat I am trying to figure out what will cause me the least issues with maintenance etc. Actually my guess is once the motor is in I won't pull the pan anyhows. Heck my Toyota Tacoma has 150,000+ miles and I only changed the oil 3X. So I'm not a huge maintenance guy anyway......or i just lack common sense.....But, thanks for the replies guys I am considering each reply with great enthusiasm. 2losteve, looking forward to seeing your setup. Is it carbed or running the EFI? I'm on the fence about the SBC or SBF thing. Mainly because all the wiring is already set up for the SBF EFI. Otherwise it would be an easy decision.

jk

Old 05-10-2009, 11:28 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Trust me, any reason you'd have for pulling the pan would most likely require removing the engine anyhow. I can't even think of a reason to pull the pan as a maintainance operation.
I forget which of the Ford SUVs that requires removing the entire body off the chassis to change the spark plugs. I still remember being shocked to see a couple with their bodies in the air at a dealer's service dept, I figured they must be doing something pretty major. The service mgr said no, they were just doing a tune up! Nothing like getting handed a $1K+ bill for a tune up???

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
2losteve
Senior User
2losteve, looking forward to seeing your setup. Is it carbed or running the EFI?

I am running the EFI, which was my main reason for using this setup. It starts everytime with a quick turn of the ign. sw. even standing outside the truck. It gives me excellent gas mileage, adjusts itself for different altitudes and other conditions and I'VE NEVER HAD TO MESS WITH IT.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
2losteve
Senior User
So here is my first attempt at posting a photo:[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
2losteve
Senior User
Since that worked, I thought I give you another view:[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
2losteve
Senior User
I hope that these are helpful. By the way, I did have to use a shorter oil filter which was readily available.[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice, but the paint is too shiny
I really like the look of the EFI and the usually lack of maintenance plus the extra fuel economy......and I do have all the needed things for the 5.0EFI swap........even have a complete Mustang T5 setup....but I just finished swapping out the 302 carb/FMX for a 351W carb/C6.... my wife would think I was crazy if I swapped again so soon.....oh wait a sec she already knows I am crazy after 30 years

Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Very nice, but the paint is too shiny
I really like the look of the EFI and the usually lack of maintenance plus the extra fuel economy......and I do have all the needed things for the 5.0EFI swap........even have a complete Mustang T5 setup....but I just finished swapping out the 302 carb/FMX for a 351W carb/C6.... my wife would think I was crazy if I swapped again so soon.....oh wait a sec she already knows I am crazy after 30 years
Would she even know the difference?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Would she even know the difference?
I am pretty sure she would figure it out pretty quick...... no carb, extra pedal, floor shifter and me having the front off the truck for a weekend or 2 would be dead giveaways

Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
2losteve or anyone. I was going to purchase a air intake filter like yours to install on my LT-1/ 50 F-1. From what I've read the filter needs fresh or cool air for the computer to be acturate, not hot engine air. I was going to put it through the side of the inner fender if it will fit. Any thoughts??? Great looking engine compartment. chuck

Last edited by 49fordpickumup; 05-12-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 2losteve
I hope that these are helpful. By the way, I did have to use a shorter oil filter which was readily available.[IMG][/IMG]
You running a PH16 oil filter? And a VERY clean 5.0 by the way. I have an old style 70s 302 in my Effie, but I like the looks of your EFI setup. I have spent quite a few thousand dollars this month on my Street/Strip Stang motor.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 PM
2losteve
Senior User
Chuck, my daily driver is a '71 Chev C-10 that I put an LT1 in. I temporarily put a K&N filter(marine) that fits right onto the throttle body and has a place for the air sensor and it runs great. But the 'cool air system' in high on my list of projects as I have heard that they run much better. What's been holding me back is the cost of custom making the ducting. Just the elbow off the throttle body can be $50-100. I'm just looking for a good, cost effective way of routing one. And thanx for the compliment on the engine.
Fatfendered - Yes that is a PH16; good eye. I was going to mention it but forgot. And thanx also for the kudos.

Quick Reply: 54 Camaro subframe / SBF please help