Sponsored by: DP Tuner

High voltage injector question Moved from elec forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 AM
ChevyMike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High voltage injector question Moved from elec forum

I am a 12 chevy technician that has recently changed employers. My new employer has an affinity for Powerstroke diesels, so I am here to learn as much as I can. If I ask dumb questions, please bear with me. Now, on with my question!
Working on a 2001 F 350 W/7.3, it will run @ idle for about 20 minutes, then dies, as if you turned off the ignition. No stumble, just dies.(Have a code reader, get a P0603 @ this point) Let it cool down for a couple hours and it restarts fine and runs fine. (For 20min.)
I am trying to diag. this with no scanner(Ford VCM will be here next week) and I find that the high voltage injector wire(@ the V.C. connector) has only 4.5-6V, even when the engine is running, the info I have says this wire should have 90V. Is this correct? Have checked all PCM powers and gnds, all check O.K. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just wait for a scanner?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I know this the electrical forum, but I haven't a clue on the powerstroke engine and how it works. I am going to direct you to the 1999-2003 powerstroke forum, and see what happens.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE. What type of scanner did you use to pull the KAM code? Give us a little more info if you would.

When it dies, what dash lights flash? If you try to restart it right away, do all the dash lights act normally (wait to start light come on and go off, etc.)? During the no start after stall, can you hear the fuel pump humming with the key on (not turned to start)?

How much do you have to let it cool down before it restarts? All the way to cold, or just a brief cool off period? Does the stall always happen at 20 min, idle or driving?

Typically the stall like a key off is an electrical issue. A common place to check is the main engine wiring harness (the big one over the drivers valve cover with red stripe tape). Check for chaffing at the valve cover, or behind the square box (42 pin connector) that the harness mounts to. A short to ground here can cause those symptoms. You can also check the wiring harness going over the drivers side front shock for chaffing.

Depending on some of your answers, we may need to look in a different direction. I'd have to check voltage ratings for the wiring, but low voltage while the truck is running fine, followed by low voltage with a sudden stall makes me think something else is the culprit. IDM is another possibility, but that is supposed to trip a P1316.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 806 Likes on 615 Posts
Subscribing.
And welcome to FTE, ChevyMike.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck would start, run for a few mins, then die like you turned the key off. It was the CPS. Did you do the CPS recall on the truck?

Welcome to FTE.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
It could also be the IPR, remeber Chrs'(Rampage F350)[problem last summer that he ended up taking it to the dealer and got shafted while I was on Vacation. It would start and run for 11-13 minutes and then just die, and would not start again unless it sat for an hour.
make sure you are testing the positive injector wire, and not a glow plug wire.

Welcome Mike. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
ChevyMike
New User
Thanks for the info so far, and here is the additional info: used a powerchip programmer to retrieve the P0603, as that is all I had at the time and could not pull IDM codes, Ford VCM showed up today, will Pull IDM codes this afternoon. Have to let it completely cool down before it will restart(1.5-2 Hrs), will die while driving, not sure of time frame.
Lift pump operates normally during stall, and all dash lights are normal. In addition, glow plug circuit voltage is normal during stall. Is my understanding correct about the 90V. supply to the injectors? (Center terminal at V.C. connector).
CPS has been changed to no avail.
Have not checked IPR.
Will post again after I have pulled IDM codes and I will also check for wire chaffing(will Lotion correct this problem? J.J.) Thanks again, everyone, for your input. Chevymike

Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ChevyMike
Thanks for the info so far, and here is the additional info: used a powerchip programmer to retrieve the P0603, as that is all I had at the time and could not pull IDM codes, Ford VCM showed up today, will Pull IDM codes this afternoon. Have to let it completely cool down before it will restart(1.5-2 Hrs), will die while driving, not sure of time frame.
Lift pump operates normally during stall, and all dash lights are normal. In addition, glow plug circuit voltage is normal during stall. Is my understanding correct about the 90V. supply to the injectors? (Center terminal at V.C. connector).
CPS has been changed to no avail.
Have not checked IPR.
Will post again after I have pulled IDM codes and I will also check for wire chaffing(will Lotion correct this problem? J.J.) Thanks again, everyone, for your input. Chevymike
Yes, as long as the lotion is the liquid electrical tape brand.

If the truck will start and run for up to 11-20 minutes and then just die as you are driving I am going to guess its the IPR. Ill try to dig up the thread and give you a reference.

Here you go, here is the thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-no-start.html

Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM
sneak
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChevyMike
Is my understanding correct about the 90V. supply to the injectors? (Center terminal at V.C. connector).
ChevyMike, the center wire in your V.C. connector "should" be your ground, and the two to each side of it "should" be your positive injector wires. The outside most four "should" be your GP connections. The reason I said "should" is because I remembered it differently, but I have an EVTM(Electronics and Vaccum Troubleshooting Manual) in front of me and that's what it's showing.

I believe that the 2001s have the 120V or 110V IDMs and I think only the pre-Super Duty engines have the 90V.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sneak
ChevyMike, the center wire in your V.C. connector "should" be your ground, and the two to each side of it "should" be your positive injector wires. The outside most four "should" be your GP connections. The reason I said "should" is because I remembered it differently, but I have an EVTM(Electronics and Vaccum Troubleshooting Manual) in front of me and that's what it's showing.

I believe that the 2001s have the 120V or 110V IDMs and I think only the pre-Super Duty engines have the 90V.
You are correct. The valve cover harness is arranged as such:
GGIICIIGG
G = glow plug
I = injector
C = injector common ground
On the IDM, I think the early 99 and prior has the 110v IDM and the late 99-03 got the 120v IDM but don't quote me on that.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 AM
ChevyMike
New User
Thanks for the info. Got the Ford VCM scanner Tues. found a code P1274 Injector High Side Open, Bank 2 during KOEO Injector test. Will get the flow chart and run through diag. Will let you know what I find.
Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
sneak
Elder User
Good to hear you're making some headway. Let us know if you have any other questions.