Youth and Skilled Trades? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Youth and Skilled Trades?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Big_Fords
Junior User
Big_Fords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Youth and Skilled Trades?

Hey everyone,

All i hear about today is how we are going to have such a shortage of trades people in the future and hwo the governments and schools are trying to get more youth to consider entering the trades. Well i just got out of high school and now am attending my first year of Heavy Equipment Mechanics at Cambrian College in Sudbury Ontario. We are about half way throught the program and they are starting to push us to find co-ops. Now these are supposed to be paid co-ops around the area related to the trade. The only thing is, out of the 80 students enrolled int he course the school's co-op program can only sponsor 60 people for co-ops. If you make it into one of the 60 spots they will help you find a co-op however there is a small chance you may not get one. It is the employers that will choose the students they want by looking over the resumes the school hands out. If you are not part of the 60 your resume doesnt get handed out, you can still go around and find a co-op yourself and the school will be able to sponsor you under the older system. I have been looking around the past few weeks to find my own co-op for the summer and havnt had any luck, either employers dont want to pay for a co-op student or they want experience. I check the papers and employment web sites for heavy equipment mechanics and all i ever see are employers wanting experience but nobodu wanting journeyman. My question is where are all these shortages in skilled trades around, i'm worried that i willg et out of college and not find a decetn job because i will not ahve experience, how do employers expect us kids to gain experience if nobody will take us on as apprentices? I'm sure there are some of you out there with kids going through the same thing or perhaps yourselves. Any advice?

Richard Stroud
Mckerrow, ON
76 f250
76 econoline
74 lincoln

Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM
lswartz
Senior User
lswartz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Use friends, family & familiar faces. My son just got his job offer that he found because his friend talked him into signing up for a recreational flag football team. One of the players had another friend that had told him about jobs with AAI. He told my son about it & that they were interviewing the following week. My son graduates December 21st & starts work on January 15th. Let everyone know that you are looking & good luck. Hopefully you get selected soon.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:00 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
thefarelaneman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dont worry the job market is wide open for mechanics.They cant out sorce car repairs to India can they?. Almost all car/boat makers have programs to train mechanics. You must be hired by the company to be able to attend. I would send a letter of interest to all of the dealers in your aera and ask about their own training programs,,,Finishing their program can have more weight than a college course.........Get out and talk to these people. If you have the "gift" they will see it.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:06 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker
stu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputationstu37d has a superb reputation
Nevermind.

Last edited by stu37d; 11-30-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Actually, I was in similar shoes about 4 years ago. I went to the votech school my last two years of high school, for automotive technology. Got out on co-op with a Mercedes Benz dealer. Wen through got a associates in auto tech and went to Mercedes- benz elite, which is a factory sponsored training program. Had an 18 month contract with that dealer after school. Gave 2 weeks notice on the 19th month. I hated it. They say technicians are short across the board, but the problem is that most dealers do not want to pay more than peanuts. I was there for 5 years, and when I left, as an A tech, was making 17.50 and hour. I got out of that industry, and then moved over where you are, heavy equipment. It's been a huge change, and after 4 months, some things still beat me up, and it's been hard to get quick at anything. Equipment is a totally different animal than a car. But i like it much better. It is harder to get into equipment with no expreience, I definatly found that out. Lots of places wouldn't return my calls or call me even though a VERY reputable friend in the indutry recommended me. The thing they need to realize, is that as people get older, if you don't have them training younger people what they know, the experiance will go away with them. Eventually you'll have all younger people without experiance, training or guidance, and then they'll be screwed, and so will all of their customers. Experiance is wonderful, but you need to find a dealer with an open minded, future oriented manager, and he'll be the one to give you that chance. I totally understand how you feel on the experience issue, I feel the same way. As far as a suggestion, hand out lots of resumes, talk to managers, and if they don't call you back, call them back. Being persistent is key, but don't be a pain. Also, explain your situation, and do your very best to be in the top of your class in school. Best bet in my opinion, if you can, don't just email or fax your resume, take it in, drop it off and introduce yourself to the service manager. Someone will listen. If you want to discuss it further, by all means post back and I will give any info I have.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:55 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Big_Fords
Hey everyone,

All i hear about today is how we are going to have such a shortage of trades people in the future
What? we are quickly becoming a service based economy

Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Big_Fords
Junior User
Big_Fords is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not saying we are becoming a service based industry, but living in northern ontario with all the mining and forestry we do hear alot about the shortage of people to fix and run the machines.

I do agree though that companys need to realize that if they dont bring in younger people to learn from their more experienced mechanics before they leave alot of knowledge and skills will be lost.

When march rolls around and my course is almost done i think i will go around and hand out my resumes to employers. And hopefully i'll land a good job somewhere. I'd really like to end up in Alaska or the Yukon someday, (love the isolation)

Rick

Old 11-30-2006, 09:02 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
thefarelaneman is starting off with a positive reputation.
My nephew just graduated last year from NC State University and majored in computer technology,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Guess what , He cant find a job that pays squat....As long as people own exspensive cars (and cant repair them themselves) there will be well paying auto tech service jobs..............I would run up the bill on a yuppy in a heartbeat.....

Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 PM
websthes
Postmaster
websthes has a great reputation on FTE.websthes has a great reputation on FTE.websthes has a great reputation on FTE.websthes has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Big_Fords
I'm not saying we are becoming a service based industry, but living in northern ontario with all the mining and forestry we do hear alot about the shortage of people to fix and run the machines.

I do agree though that companys need to realize that if they dont bring in younger people to learn from their more experienced mechanics before they leave alot of knowledge and skills will be lost.

When march rolls around and my course is almost done i think i will go around and hand out my resumes to employers. And hopefully i'll land a good job somewhere. I'd really like to end up in Alaska or the Yukon someday, (love the isolation)

Rick

My g.f.'s ex is from North Bay. he moved him down here to fix trucks for a trucking company. the company paid his move and everything.