1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wire harness help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
49forpop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire harness help!!!!!

I just bought a 49 f1 that dad an I are going to restore. Does anyone know of a good place to get a full wire harness for this model? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,115 Likes on 820 Posts
Welcome to the board.

This subject had been discussed many times. There was post within the last two weeks.
Since you only have two posts you won't be able to do site search using the search feature but go to Google and you will be able to. Just enter "wire harness" and www.ford-trucks.com in the "Search within a site or domain" window. You'll find many posts about wire harnesses with many recommendations for manufacturers. I'm sure someone will be by soon to give you more information.

I personally highly recommend against using a reproduction, clothe covered harness. I highly recommend a modern generic harness using modern materials. I personally wire my trucks from scratch but I have miles of wire of different color and gages at my disposal so it's relatively easy for me to do it. For a novice it's a rather daunting project to do without a premade harness.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:31 PM
HD74
Elder User
I'm going with a harness from YnZ's Yesterdays Parts, because I want the cloth covered wiring. This company uses the same modern plastic coated wire and rap's them using the same color coded cloth that came on the truck new. There on the web.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
mostly52f1
Senior User
i'm more of a make your own harness person, you can go to a junk yard and pull a nice looking fuse box to use, be creative. its not too bad if you have ever did any kind of wire job, just do one at a time, use lots of different colors, and keep a note pad with notes of what your doing so you wont get confused.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My grandmother used to always say that "things came in threes." and it seems like that's true withte wiring harness stuff at the moment.

Alot of folks like the EZ wire harness. I myself am a wire one wire at a time person then bundle it into your own harness. To each there own.

Here are a couple of th elinks Bob was talking about:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...o-12-volt.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...g-problem.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...version-2.html

Read through these three. Some of the harness questions are a little farther back. And there is some good info on converting to 12 volt - which I'm assuming you will do with your rewire.