Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Posting Guru

JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.
Clean the EGR valve

My CEL came on today on the way home, threw code P0401, low egr flow. So I'm guessing it's clogged. A new one from Advance Auto Parts is $265. The delete kit is like $500+, can I just clean it up? Other than a new egr valve gasket what would I need?

I searched pages and pages for a dozen different things. I know I've seen it come up before, but I can't find it now. Also my truck is stock, 04 Excursion, and I have no intention of doing modifications to it.

If someone could provide a bit of a guide, or a link to one, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Found this in the tech folder:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/44...egr-valve.html

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Sorry for all the colors - I am copying from my spreadsheet. There have been improvements in the EGR valve. My recommendation (if you are going to keep the EGR system) is to replace it. If you want to clean it, here is more to read ..........

REMOVE EGR Valve
Clean it - Use Carburetor cleaner, not brake cleaner - keep the fluid out of the weep holes. Use new O-Rings (kit number is 3C3Z-9P455-AB).
ALSO: Clean EBP tube (vehicles built before 9/23/03 have the EBP sensor taken out of the computer control strategy), Also clean MAP sensor hose and manifold opening.
To remove: take the 2 8mm bolts out, spin the valve by hand, and use two lady fingers or heel bars depending where you live (1 under each tab) and pop it right out.
When you go to install the valve it is normal for the valve not to go all the way in. Push it as far as you can and use the bolts to suck it in.
Carb Cleaner recommendation (see link below and refer to old TSB 06-19-6): Note 07-21-9 supercedes 06-19-6
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-12.php
"http://www dot powerstroke dot org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/63592-6-0l-egr-maintenance-cleaning-write-up dot html"
At about 1:40 in the Ford Presentation below, they state NOT to use Breake Cleaner
mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/Tech_31_250k.wmv

EGR O-ring kit number is 3C3Z-9P455-AB or International # 1840778C92; EGR bolts are torqued to 13 Nm
2003/2004 Service EGR valves: Ford Part Number 4C3Z-9F452-A and International #1846491C91 (PN on valve 4276L); 2005/2006 Service EGR valves: Ford Part Number 5C3Z-9F452-AA International # 1846490C91 (PN on valve 4043H)
The original valve numbers were: 2003/2004 3C34-9F452-AC (PN on valve 03191) AND 2005/2006 5C34-9F452-AA (PN on valve 4043H)
The new (good) EGR valves have a blue dot and a pink dot on the top of the actuator.

Also - clean your EBP tube and MAP sensor hose (if applicable):
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/ebp-pipe-location-cleaning-advice-146925/

EBP Exhaust Back Pressure
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_058.html
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_009.html

MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure
The MAP port is on the intake manifold. The hose comes off of that port.
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_038.html
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_063.html

Let us know what the valve looked like. You can tell some things from the appearance.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Posting Guru

JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.JaySVX has a great reputation on FTE.
Yow, scary. I use power service in the white bottle during the winter, about to make the switch to the gray bottle. I idle a lot. I mean, I idle about as much as I drive per day. I'm scared to see what it looks like. First thing tomorrow I'll be on Ford Parts front step to get the new gasket, and I'll crack her open, and I will take pictures. Before and after, still reading the pages on that thread too, for more info.

Thanks for the link and info!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Posting Guru

Also, I have put 20k on in 6 months of winter with extra idling, and the owner before me it was a corporate fleet vehicle so probably didn't get quite the attention it needed. Also i'm at 188k miles.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Posting Guru

Does simply disconnecting it disable it and prevent the potenial problems? I have the code for bad flow, the guy at advanced said he was a certified ford tech, and said it was a serious thing to fix asap. I think cyl #8 misfire is an asap thing. Clean air is not an asap thing. Can my engine be damaged this way? What course of action would others take? I was about to make a 300 mile round trip tomorrow to pick up a tractor on a trailer, but i"m not sure if i should with these problems.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Elder User

Nitrous is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can pull it out, clean it, and replace it in less than an hour. I bought the gasket kit but I could have reused the original. Just clean it and pop it back in. If the code returns you may just have a bad valve. Not a big deal. Go get your trailer.
03 F250 4x4 CC LB 6.0 XLT Sport, Camper Package, Prodigy brake controller, High Idle Mod, Isspro Boost Gauge, Magnaflow 4'' Cat-Back, Ride-Rite air springs, Bilstein shocks, Pro-Comp steering stabilizer, bedliner, Husky 16k 5th wheel hitch. Coolant filter. Urethane swaybar bushings.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Posting Guru

liv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
Does simply disconnecting it disable it and prevent the potenial problems? I have the code for bad flow, the guy at advanced said he was a certified ford tech, and said it was a serious thing to fix asap. I think cyl #8 misfire is an asap thing. Clean air is not an asap thing. Can my engine be damaged this way? What course of action would others take? I was about to make a 300 mile round trip tomorrow to pick up a tractor on a trailer, but i"m not sure if i should with these problems.
If the guy was a certified Ford tech he wouldn't be working at advance for $9 an hour. You can't really hurt anything if you have to make the trip. You can try unplugging it. You will probably throw different codes though.

Also you can make your own gasket pretty easily. Just ask the guys at autozone or wherever if they have some extra gasket material.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Posting Guru

Ok, here's my problem. In this picture the guy has the EGR valve turned:
Click the image to open in full size.

How did he manage to turn it? I put all my strength into it and i can get it to move 1/16th of an inch, maybe, but that's about it. I tried getting a pair of channel locks on it to turn it but no luck there either, there isn't enough room.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Mine was pretty dirty and it turned by hand. Do not try pulling on it to turn it - just rotate. Yours may be stuck pretty bad with all that idling. Maybe you can get a small strap wrench on it if it does not rotate by hand. Just be persistent.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Posting Guru

liv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Go back and forth too. It might not want too but it will turn.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Freshman User

galenw is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem with mine. Keep twisting on it and it will eventually turn. It will not be easy because the o-rings will put friction on the housing. I put a block of wood on top of the alternator and was able to pry out the valve with a bar.

Cleaned up pretty nice with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. I soaked it in cleaner by cutting a coke can and filling with cleaner and letting the valve sit in it for about 15 minutes. The valve was pretty clogged up at the top with fairly dry deposits (like carbon) but no gooey mess like the picture of the posts you showed.

Had it all done in about an hour. Would post pics, but don't know how.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Posting Guru

I got it. I used a hammer and flat head screw driver to tap it around, then once it moved, I was able to twist it back. Be prepared, because here is what I found:

Two bottles of carb cleaner and 2 toothbrushes later, not to mention chiseling with a small screwdriver and a good 30min, it was all cleaned up and looking like new. Popped it back in and all was well. Glad to have it out of the way.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Postmaster

slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.slowmans is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thats bad!!!! quit idleing so much, and run a cetane booster if you dont already...
2010 F-350---2.5" Readylift,5100's, Dual 5100 Stab, Deleted,running IDP/Gearhead tunes. AFE PRO Stage II , 3" Intercooler pipe, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, RiffRaff Boots, 35" BFG's on 20" XD's-Burning Bio when I can!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Posting Guru

I ran the gray bottle all winter, white bottle all summer. But still I do idle all the time. 10-20min in the mornings when it's cold, while I go in to get my kids from daycare 10-15min i leave it running, etc. It kinda sucks, but it happens. I think I am going to look into the high idle mod, or just clean the EGR valve every 177k miles...

Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2004, 5c349f452aa, 60, bad, clean, cleaning, egr, f250, ford, map, part, power, sensor, stoke, valve