Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
New User

Brian Frank is starting off with a positive reputation.
Possible blend door not working 2005 Explorer

Looked at sticky for blend door repair, but it is a different model year. Does anyone know where the blend door is? I only get hot air, no matter where I turn the temp dial.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior User

rrgone is starting off with a positive reputation.
On the 2002-2005 Explorers the blend door actuator is more likely to fail than the blend door itself. This is a good thing as the actuator is easy to replace compared to fixing the door. The actuator is the white plastic cassette looking thing that is bolted to the airbox on the driver's side and has one electric connector attached. It is pretty close to your right shin when you are driving. You need to remove the lower trim panel from the steering column, the left dash brace, the center console, and the left floor air duct to gain access to the blend door actuator. I would take it out and leave it connected to the elect connector and watch if it tuns it's drive hub when you change the temp selector. If not it has stripped out the cheap plastic gears inside. Replace the actuator and you are good to go.

If the actuator is working correctly then you have a busted blend door. Here is an option for repairing it: Ford Explorer 02-08 Incidentially, the 4th and 5th pictures down in that page also show the actuator.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Can you hear any clicking from under the dash? The rear blend door actuator on my Dad's 2002 failed last year and we replaced it. We could hear a continuous, regular clicking in the left rear cargo area as it tried to move the blend door.

Here's what we found, note the broken teeth on the plastic gear.....
Click the image to open in full size.

and the mating gear, with teeth laying there like a couple dead bodies at a crime scene.

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja View Post

and the mating gear, with teeth laying there like a couple dead bodies at a crime scene.

You goin' for some writer's award there?

Thanks for the laugh!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Postmaster

1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold1975StroppeBaja is a splendid one to behold
Haha... cool.

That's just what it reminded me of when I popped it apart.

Click - My Super Duty Tech Articles
1975 Baja Bronco Project
1984 Ranger 4x4 R.I.P Nov 2007
Old 06-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Junior User

LTCPipkin is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I read through the HeaterTreater posting, they made a statement regarding the control of hot water through the heater core..."The Explorer HVAC hardware is fairly complex including a lever to activate a vacuum switch to divert coolant from flowing through the heater core."

I think the 8th pic in that thread shows this control technique. Is this a view from the passenger side the blend door area? Is there a work-around to actuate that hot water valve/divert the hot water temporarily?

It's hot here in Virginia and my A/C intermittently cools/warms. As I run errands around town, the A/C is sometimes very cold between stops...and sometimes not so cold. It's as though the cool air is being heated slightly. All the environmental/mechanical conditions remain constant...outside temp, engine RPM, etc. I don't hear any clicking noises...the heat temp control is completely off...I use MAX air setting (recirculating).

I have a trip this week and don't have time to deal with replacing the blend door. Can I do something with the heater core hot water control valve and completely shut-off the hot water flow to the heater core? Is there an alternative method under the hood? Will shutting of this water flow effect coolant temps adversely?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCPipkin View Post
When I read through the HeaterTreater posting, they made a statement regarding the control of hot water through the heater core..."The Explorer HVAC hardware is fairly complex including a lever to activate a vacuum switch to divert coolant from flowing through the heater core."

I think the 8th pic in that thread shows this control technique. Is this a view from the passenger side the blend door area? Is there a work-around to actuate that hot water valve/divert the hot water temporarily?

It's hot here in Virginia and my A/C intermittently cools/warms. As I run errands around town, the A/C is sometimes very cold between stops...and sometimes not so cold. It's as though the cool air is being heated slightly. All the environmental/mechanical conditions remain constant...outside temp, engine RPM, etc. I don't hear any clicking noises...the heat temp control is completely off...I use MAX air setting (recirculating).

I have a trip this week and don't have time to deal with replacing the blend door. Can I do something with the heater core hot water control valve and completely shut-off the hot water flow to the heater core? Is there an alternative method under the hood? Will shutting of this water flow effect coolant temps adversely?

Thanks,
Michael
It sounds more like you need an AC tune up to me. You could have a very slow leak somewhere and the refrigerant is now on the low side.

To answer your question though, this is from the 2003 workshop manual and goes along with the pic from heatertreater site:

The temperature control switch:
  • is a potentiometer that outputs a variable voltage to the temperature blend door actuator to set the position of the temperature blend door.
  • initiates closing of the heater control valve. When set to full COOL, a lever on the temperature blend door pivot shaft depresses the pintle of the heater control valve vacuum switch. The heater control valve vacuum switch then applies vacuum to the heater control valve, closing off engine coolant flow to the heater core.
  • is serviced only with the climate control assembly.
This is also from the wsm and is a diagram of the heater hoses and fittings for the 4.0l engine. Item #11 is the vacuum line from the heater control valve vacuum switch and #12 is the heater control valve.

You should be able to verify that the heater control valve is closing when the temperature control switch is set to full cool. If it's not working or not working consistently then it could affect how well your AC works on very hot days.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
1997, 2004, air, blend, closing, conditioning, door, explorer, f150, ford, heater, max, onford, problem, recirc, recurc, truck, valve