Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2009, 09:34 PM
New User

7shot is starting off with a positive reputation.
1998 Ranger No Spark!!

Hello all at FTE, I have a 98 Ranger w/ 2.5L. I have a no spark issue. Tha truck has been cranking and running great. I had the battery disconnected for 2 days while I was fooling around with my speakers when I reconnected the negative, the truck would turn over and not crank. The battery is an optima and is only a month old. The plugs are only 3 months old. The negative connections are clean and tight. I have fuel but no spark. I have pulled a plug and connected it to the wire and held it to the valve cover to verify no spark. I get 12V at the main wire going to each coil pack but nothing at the plug. Could this be a PCM issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 PM
New User

Also, I have no blown fuses and I check and verified all relay are working.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Could be the PCM, as it's job is to provide the ground for the coil packs.

Is the PCM power relay ok, if in doubt, swap it for the A/C power relay & see what happens.

But unless you did something to the PCM while messing with the speakers, it's likely ok.

Seeing as how you had the B- cable off, maybe the battery to chassis, or engine, ground is open.

So if you have a good set of jumper cables, parallel the B- connections between the battery post & engine & body, with the jumper cables on the batteries B- post, the other end connected to a unpainted bare metal spot on the engine & body & see what happens.

If it starts, remove one jumper cable at a time, to see which one kills the engine.

If no joy, look to the crank or cam sensors, as they tell the computer when to ground the coil packs for spark & squirt the fuel injectors.

Do you have a CEL lit????
If so, if you have, or can come by a scantool, hook it up & pull the trouble codes, as they can offer up good clues.

A bunch of thoughts for pondering, let us know what you find.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
New User

Thanks for the info pawpaw. I tried what you suggested. Grounded to the frrame and engine and even put a new relay in for the PCM and still no spark. I went and got an OBD II reader and it will not read. It keeps saying to check connection. The connection is good. No bent pins or broken wires. Could that mean that the PCM has gone bad? By the way everthing else works fine ie. lights, fan blower, fuel pump, ect just no spark to the plugs.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:06 PM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Check the cigar lighter fuse, it also provides the B+ 12 volt supply for your code scanner.

BTW, welcome to FTE!!!!

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Post Fiend

Pablo-UA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
no spark? check voltage supply of ignition modul, coils and check PIP (if you have no O-scope - use LED with 1kOhm resistor). This is first step.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM
New User

Thanks for the welcome pawpaw. That was the first thing I did when the scanner said it couldnt connect. The cigar lighter was operational no blown fuse.
Pablo, I have checked the ignition coils. I am getting 12V on the + center wire going to the coils. Th other 2 wires on each coils comes from the PCM. On my 98 there is no ICM it is part of the PCM. I would appreciate any other suggestions guys. And again thanks.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Post Fiend

fordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to beholdfordboy_52 is a splendid one to behold
does the 98 have a coil pack? I blew a coil pack out of the blue on my truck.

Matt
Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 PM
New User

Yes fordboy, it has 2 ignition coils. But i have ran the truck off of just one pack before. The odds of blowing out both packs is pretty slim, i would think. But it could be possible.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
New User

rxntrik7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My dad has the same problem after he fixed the horn. Engine lost the spark out of nowhere. Fuses are good. I can't think of anything other than ecu or cas being bad. We'll keep looking and post if we find something
Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1992, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2005, 25, 25l, 40, 99, determine, ford, fuel, ranger, spark