Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Banks Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 AM
FX4Range R
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Exhaust

I just installed a banks exhaust on my 06 v10. I thought it would be a cat back. But I noticed its only a muffler back exhaust. Is this typical for exhaust to be like this? I looked at gibson and jba exhaust and its a very similar setup.

Should I go and replace the intermediate pipe to match the 3.5in tubing of the exhaust? The sound is very quiet, almost stock like. is it goin to get any louder?

Has anybody installed a set of jba headers on the 3v v10. Im really thinking of getting a set. I kno its prolly not going to give me much more power. But I want every single hp I can get out of it.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Most "cat-back" exhaust kits replace the muffler back to the tailpipe. I would leave it as is, you have plenty of exhaust flow. As th eexhaust breaks in the tone should change some and become slightly louder. The shorties probably won't give you much power increase and what it does give you will more than likely be in the upper rpm range. I would look into a tuner with a good custom tune. Contact Mike at www.5startuning.com many here have his tunes me included and V10s are his forte'.

Heres a thread with some dyno results.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...or-05-v10.html

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
FX4Range R
Junior User
I got a tune from 5 star already. I also have a kn intake aswell. Im just trying to get all the boltons I can get. I might wait and see if banks wil come out with a set of headers.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
JKBrad
Received 805 Likes on 590 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4Range R
I got a tune from 5 star already. I also have a kn intake aswell. Im just trying to get all the boltons I can get. I might wait and see if banks wil come out with a set of headers.
Banks has had headers available for quite some time now.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/297/38

Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
huntinzombie
Senior User

The Banks headers are really nice. Have had mine on for a few years now and love the sound. Very low pitched and not really loud, but very different from stock. Realize, like has been said many times, this is a V-10 and it will never sound like a V-8.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
"Has anybody installed a set of jba headers on the 3v v10. Im really thinking of getting a set. I kno its prolly not going to give me much more power. But I want every single hp I can get out of it.[/QUOTE]

Here you go

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...led-05-3v.html

Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4Range R
I just installed a banks exhaust on my 06 v10. I thought it would be a cat back. But I noticed its only a muffler back exhaust. Is this typical for exhaust to be like this? I looked at gibson and jba exhaust and its a very similar setup.

Should I go and replace the intermediate pipe to match the 3.5in tubing of the exhaust? The sound is very quiet, almost stock like. is it goin to get any louder?

Has anybody installed a set of jba headers on the 3v v10. Im really thinking of getting a set. I kno its prolly not going to give me much more power. But I want every single hp I can get out of it.

That's because bigger is NOT always better... 3" is the optimal size for typical applications of this engine unless you significantly increase displacement, super/turbocharge it, run N2O, or modify engine to operate in much higher rpm range.
Going bigger may give a couple more peak hp, but will cost lower end torque due to loss of velocity. The Banks folks are actually engineers, so they design it to work well. Some other companies are marketing folks, so they'll make it whatever you size you want, for better or worse.

After the muffler, it doesn't hurt so much, so you can run bigger tubes there. Again, it won't add much, but it won't hurt much, either.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
FX4Range R
Junior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Banks has had headers available for quite some time now.

Banks Power | 99-08 Ford - 6.8L V-10>>TorqueTube® Exhaust Manifolds
The banks headers are only up to 04. Banks said that there suppose to come out with set. But I don't kno if I have enough patience to wait.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:23 AM
JKBrad
Received 805 Likes on 590 Posts
Hmm. The top of the page says through '08, but they only have part numbers through '04. I should have looked more closely.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
Originally Posted by huntinzombie
The Banks headers are really nice. Have had mine on for a few years now and love the sound. Very low pitched and not really loud, but very different from stock. Realize, like has been said many times, this is a V-10 and it will never sound like a V-8.
I've had mine on now for less than a year and I couldn't be more pleased with the sound. Ended up re-torquing mine 3X before they seated for good.

Did you ever figure out where that large heat guard that comes with the set bolts up? Derned if I can figure out how it goes on there. Being close to MO I'm all about "show me" instead of the trying to follow those instructions with no diagrams.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Hmm. The top of the page says through '08, but they only have part numbers through '04. I should have looked more closely.
They make a cat-back for the 05'-08' F-Series but thats about it.

The 2Vs had some real crappy manifold and exhaust designs compared to the 3Vs. The 3V manifolds actually are like shorty headers just cast versions. The 2V manifolds are just logs with holes. I wouldn't waste my time and money on shorties for the 3V. Long tubes would be much better. Banks does has long tubes available for the 3V in the class A motorhome.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
huntinzombie
Senior User

FORDSFLYLOW I believe the one you're talking about goes around the starter. Take a picture of it and PM me, and i'll let you know for sure.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
oldirtytruck
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkf
The 2V manifolds are just logs with holes.
He's not kidding! I looked under my hood more closely at the exhuast after I bought my 2003 F350 and was amazed at how 'simple' the exhuast manifold was!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Fordsflylow
Postmaster
Originally Posted by huntinzombie
FORDSFLYLOW I believe the one you're talking about goes around the starter. Take a picture of it and PM me, and i'll let you know for sure.
No I have that one on and didn't have any problem at all with it. Also didn't have any problem installing the heat blanket to the power steering hose. I'm talking about the one that is about a foot long and about 5" or so wide and has a 30-40deg bend in it. Also has a bracket that goes with it. I may just shoot Banks an email to see if they have better instructions for installing it. I'll get a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 AM
V10E350
Senior User
On my 98 V10 I did all the bolt-ons. K&N, BBK throttle body, Cat Back, programmer. It's not worth it. It just made a lot of noise. Ya, it hauled *** but not faster than my 07 is now with a tuner and that's it.

By the time you spend all that money, you should have just put a supercharger or a turbo or two on it. That's the only way to get large hp gains with these already very efficient motors.

Be happy it's hard to improve on!

Quick Reply: Banks Exhaust