2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosis opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
nlfireblade
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diagnosis opinions welcome

I have had my truck(2004 F-150 SC FX4) for a couple months now and I have an electrical issue that I'd like some opinions on before I start investigating or going to a mechanic.

About a month ago I ran through a large puddle on a dirt road at about 50km/hr. The puddle was large and about 6" deep. The truck shut off and would not start for about 5 minutes. When it did start, it started and ran just fine.

On Christmas day I hit the highway and began to head to my parents place for dinner. It was raining and about 7C. As soon as I got on the highway the truck started to 'buck' and the check engine light began flashing. This went on for about 2 minutes(I had turned around to head back home). It stopped suddenly and she ran just fine so I went on out to my parents place anyway.

This past weekend I was truck shopping with a friend of mine. We came out of a dealer, got in the truck and it would not start. It was below freezing(about -5C) and the air was dry but the roads were wet from the salt and melting snow. The truck would not turn over and there was no 'click' like she was trying to start. No noises whatsover. However, I did have lights and power and the wipers worked just fine, etc. I tried to start it several times. I called some friends for advice and one of them was going to come pick me up. I hang up the phone and try to start it again and the damn thing starts as if there was never a problem!

Any ideas of stuff to check would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Still Smoking
Elder User
Check the wires to the starter. Thats would be my guess. Maybe there is a piece of wire showing or a bad connection and whenever it gets wet it shorts it out. Try there

Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM
nlfireblade
Senior User
Couple people mentioned a bad ground. I will check those wires. A mechanic friend mentioned a sensor... crank sensor, I think.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 AM
ranger88a
Elder User
Check the back of the fuse panel. The wire loom through the firewall can allow water to follow it inside the truck and get into the fuse panel assy. I have had a couple of them do it. To fix, seal the wire loom with silicone around the area of the grommet in the firewall.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
also check your fuel pump module

it's under the bed on a frame rail near the spare tire. just a little box with wires going into it.

this time last year a few guys were having issues with theirs getting wet and corroding out

Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Catmonkey
Senior User
Check your battery cables and the attached wires to the positive terminal. Not being able to power the solenoid could mean a loose or corroded connection at the battery. EFI can do some strange things with insufficient voltage.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
nlfireblade
Senior User
Thanks for those ideas, I will check them all. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd definately be checking for corrosion damage. lots of salt used down there!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
nlfireblade
Senior User
You got that right! Everything I drive I get rust checked and undercoated. This truck has had the rubber undercoating applied but I'll be getting the gel stuff as well. I have been too busy since I got the truck to get it in. I'm going to get this figured out first and then give it a good cleaning inside, outside and underneath and then bring it in to be rust checked/undercoated. You have to do everything you can to protect from all that road salt they throw down around here... not to mention the north atlantic only a few km's away

Old 01-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Krazy_Knuck
New User
Originally Posted by nlfireblade
You got that right! Everything I drive I get rust checked and undercoated. This truck has had the rubber undercoating applied but I'll be getting the gel stuff as well. I have been too busy since I got the truck to get it in. I'm going to get this figured out first and then give it a good cleaning inside, outside and underneath and then bring it in to be rust checked/undercoated. You have to do everything you can to protect from all that road salt they throw down around here... not to mention the north atlantic only a few km's away
ahh let me guess you are from....aahhh......Newfoundland!

Krazy

Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you too eh Krazy?? too bad we hadn't surfaced sooner. the atlantic chapter just got changed to the NS chapter because of a lack of members from anywhere else in the atlantic other than NS. perhaps if we head over there a bit more often we can get 'er changed back to the atlantic chapter, or even start our own!!!

Has anyone ever used that Counter Act electronic rust protection system??

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Krazy_Knuck
New User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
you too eh Krazy?? too bad we hadn't surfaced sooner. the atlantic chapter just got changed to the NS chapter because of a lack of members from anywhere else in the atlantic other than NS. perhaps if we head over there a bit more often we can get 'er changed back to the atlantic chapter, or even start our own!!!

Has anyone ever used that Counter Act electronic rust protection system??
I am....currently -5c with windchill of -15c

From my research Krown rust protection is very good.

What's the website for the NS Chapter?

Krazy

Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM
nlfireblade
Senior User
A newfie I am!

I have always used Rust Check but I imagine Krown is similar. I have seen the electronic rust control device advertised in the Canadian Tire flyer on occasion but I never hear anyone talking about it so I figure it must not work very well

Btw, I checked the things mentioned and cleaned up some wires/grounds. A wire on the starter was barely on there so I replaced the wire with a new one and bolted it on tight. There is a hole in the solenoid or starter(can't remember which right now lol) that is supposed to have a drain tube or plug of some kind but it's missing. I can look right in there. Can this be bought seperately?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Person25
Junior User
sounds like another classic FORD eletrical issue......growing up in a ford family....hundreds of fords, cars,trucks, you name it... have passed through this property over the years...from the early forties trucks to the nineties, My father used to fixem up and sell them and upgrade his vehicle at the same time......everyonce in a while my father would get one of those 'phantom' vehicles. Problems that come and go with no real answer. The kind that made him lose his hair.