6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

bad alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Zinfinity
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad alternator?

Well i got my truck back on thurs from getting a new FICM, and the batteries were really low from when i was craking it at time of no start. I charged them overnight and started ok the next morning and i drove to work(about 15miles) truck then sat all day until i was off and it again started, but pretty slugish cranking. i decided to replace the batteries as i didnt have much confidence in them to start with. So got two fresh batteries from Costco (850cca each), put them in and wow did it start nice, never heard it crank like that before! but since i put them in (friday) they keep sounding a little more sluggish every time i start. Now this evening i left my house to run an errand, about 7 miles away, when i came back to the truck it would start, cranked once or twice and that was it! had to get boosted.

Is looking like an alternator for me? im gonna have my Ford dealer do charging system test after work tommorow, im just curious now, lol Any chance alternators covered under diesel engine warranty?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like your alternator. Did you have your batteries checked before you replaced them to make sure they were indeed bad? Did you call your local Ford Dealer to price a new alternator? I picked one up a couple of months ago from the local Ford Dealer for just over $300 after tax and core charge return.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Zinfinity
Senior User
havnt phoned them yet as they are closed.

Anyone recomend a good aftermarket alternator that has worked out well? Is the alternator easy to change on these trucks? I didnt test the batteries, i should have tho. Well i still have the old ones, and knowing costco, they might take the new ones back on return, hehe

Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
uscghutch
Freshman User
I just had my alternator go out a week ago. Truck died on the side of the road because my batteries died. Try to work with the dealer. I was able to talk them down to $191 for a new alternator. I took it off and went to autozone for their free test just to make sure. The change wasn't to bad. I had someone help pull the belt up because I couldn't get anything down to the tension pulley. To much damn plastic in the way. Good luck with the dealer!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 PM
uscghutch
Freshman User
Oh and I forgot. I have 54k on mine so under the 100k warranty it is not covered. They said only internal or major components. Which is funny because I would say the alternator is a pretty important part!!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinfinity

Anyone recomend a good aftermarket alternator that has worked out well? Is the alternator easy to change on these trucks? I didnt test the batteries, i should have tho. Well i still have the old ones, and knowing costco, they might take the new ones back on return, hehe
There is a package deal being put together on 220A alternators from DBElectrical. I have dealt w/ them in the past and was pleased.

DB alternator - TheDieselGarage.com Forums

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Zinfinity
Senior User
anyone know what amperage my alternator would be?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 PM
12ozd
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Zinfinity

The alternator is extremely easy to change.

Might want to keep the new batteries in your truck.

If they are original to the truck in yor sig. I would keep them.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Span-Cat
New User
I have a 2003 superduty King Ranch diesel with single alternator. On my third alternator since Dec 22nd. Have had the batteries tested several times and they appear to be fine. After just twenty minutes of idle time the alternator is hot enough to fry eggs on. Alternator putting out 14.0 volts and about 35 amps with everything off. Can't seem to fine anyone that can fix this problem. Please help as I'm afraid it will catch fire.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
If these are re-build alternators, you don't have much choice now but to keep replacing them till you find a good one... Or bite the bullet and get a new alt from Ford. Or try a new from NAPA.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 AM
GRAY MULE
Junior User
electrical problems

i have a 2003 f250 6.0ps and my alternator went out on me leaving me along side the road dead. but i want to know if this has happened to anybody else? first i was truckin on down the road when i happened to notice that none of my guages worked i mean the instrument cluster was completey dead so i stopped and checked the fuses and one was blowed and i replaced it and went on down the road. i had to stop and get fuel and i noticed my lights getting dim and for too long i was spitting and sputtering and then dead. the alternator was gone and when i got it in the shop the instrument cluster had quit again. upon investigating the tow haul wire coming out of the shifter was rubbing the steering column and blowing the fuse to the cluster. but my qusetion is did this short also burn up my alternator or did i just have really bad luck that day? has anybody else had this problem also?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:23 AM
63DH8
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My alternator went out several months ago. The idiot light went on while I was driving home, so I figured I'll keep going. Pretty soon, my wipers stopped. Then the lights went off. The gauges also stopped working. Pretty soon, every electrical device in the truck stopped working. The truck kept going until I got home. I turned the truck off, then tried to start her again. It didn't even click the starter relay! No click, no grrrr, no nothing! I called around and found my local Ford Dealer had the right alternator at the lowest price. I paid a little over $200 for it. While I was driving (I have a Ranger and 150 as well as a 250) to the dealer for the alternator, I had the batteries on the charger so I wouldn't overstress the alternator with a prolong charge session. Came back, installed the alternator, and started my truck. No problem!

The diesel tech at the dealer said there's supposed to be a tab that holds the tensioner up so you can install the belt, but I couldn't find it.