1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

transmition fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Avbird
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmition fluid change

I am getting ready to change my trany fluid. The factory proceedure is to replace the drain plug. This seems silly anyone keep their plug? Also I plan to use Amsoil ATF, any thoughts on the best fluid? I have used Amsoil for all my cars and really liked it. Its a synthetic fluid.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Omahastro1
Senior User
I have never replaced the drain plug. Depending on what year you have the torque converter can be drained also. Mine is a 99 and the torque converter as well as the trans can be drained needing 16-17 quarts for a refill, but it does the trick. As for fluid if you like Amsoil go for it. I can't afford Amsoil but most transmition oils today are mostly synthetic any way, The main thing is to change it and the filter and use a name brand fluid. Don't forget the transfer case while you are under there. Make sure you can loosen the fill plug before draining. In the transfer case I used M1 in it as it only takes I think 2 quarts. When I drained my transfer case the fluid was burned. So I put regular fluid in it for 500 miles to flush it out, then changed again with M!.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
jguti
New User
Originally Posted by Omahastro1
I have never replaced the drain plug. Depending on what year you have the torque converter can be drained also. Mine is a 99 and the torque converter as well as the trans can be drained needing 16-17 quarts for a refill, but it does the trick. As for fluid if you like Amsoil go for it. I can't afford Amsoil but most transmition oils today are mostly synthetic any way, The main thing is to change it and the filter and use a name brand fluid. Don't forget the transfer case while you are under there. Make sure you can loosen the fill plug before draining. In the transfer case I used M1 in it as it only takes I think 2 quarts. When I drained my transfer case the fluid was burned. So I put regular fluid in it for 500 miles to flush it out, then changed again with M!.
What is the best way to drain all of the 16 - 17 qts. of fluid?

jg

Old 01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Omahastro1
Senior User
If your truck is so equiped, it will have a rubber plug at the bottom of the bell housing. Pull plug turn the engine either with a wrench or starter button to line up the plug in the torque converter with the hole in the bell housing. Take out plug let it drain, the torque converter drains slowly. Drain the pan with the drain plug, pull pan change filter, put back together fill check when warm, off you go.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM
madsonp
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
Some years may not have a drain plug on the tranny pan, my 99 does, my wifes 97 doesn't. If your doesn't you need to loosen the pan bolts (more on one side) and drain it out the pan that way (it can be a messy pain in the a^^ if your not careful). Either way you want to pull the pan completely off and change the filter also. I doesn't do you much good to change the fluid, if you don't change the filter.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Originally Posted by jguti
What is the best way to drain all of the 16 - 17 qts. of fluid?

jg
Have it professionally flushed at the dealer or another place that you trust. I have mine done every 35k - 40k and it costs me $130.00 at the dealer. I think Merc V is running just north of $4.00 per quart plus cost of screen and gasket if it's not re-useable. If you have to drop the pan, you won't know that until you do. Lets see, that puts us at about $85-$90 for parts and fluid and you still have to do the work. I do as much of my own work as possible but some things IMO are not practical.

Tim

Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Avbird
New User
Tranny fluid change

I have an 06 Expedition. According to the dealer service manual, the pan, filter and gasket are replaced as one unit. The other thing I find odd is that the system only takes 5 quarts. I have read the torque converter replacememt procedure and it still only calls for five quarts and that includes draining the transmittion. My questions are:

1. Could the 2006 only has 5 quarts in the entire system compared to older models that some of you have taken 17 quarts out of?

2. I understand the value of replacing the filter, but are you all replacing the filter and everything with each ATF change? It seems like there would be some value to re-up the lubrication value of the ATF but not necessarily change the filter each time. I have 20k on my 2006, I don't need a change yet but I like having a synthetic fluid and I have always heard that a new tranny really tires the fluid fast so its good to change the first change early.

3. What am I missing with taking the ATF pan off? Several people seem to indicate that this is a big job. It seems like it would be really easy.

Sorry if these questions seem silly, this is my first Ford since high school (dad's old 1978 F-150); I can hold my own on old volvo's and nissans though.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Avbird
New User
Tranny fluid change

I have an 06 Expedition. According to the dealer service manual, the pan, filter and gasket are replaced as one unit. The other thing I find odd is that the system only takes 5 quarts. I have read the torque converter replacememt procedure and it still only calls for five quarts and that includes draining the transmittion. My questions are:

1. Could the 2006 only has 5 quarts in the entire system compared to older models that some of you have taken 17 quarts out of?

2. I understand the value of replacing the filter, but are you all replacing the filter and everything with each ATF change? It seems like there would be some value to re-up the lubrication value of the ATF but not necessarily change the filter each time. I have 20k on my 2006, I don't need a change yet but I like having a synthetic fluid and I have always heard that a new tranny really tires the fluid fast so its good to change the first change early.

3. What am I missing with taking the ATF pan off? Several people seem to indicate that this is a big job. It seems like it would be really easy.

Sorry if these questions seem silly, this is my first Ford since high school (dad's old 1978 F-150); I can hold my own on old volvo's and nissans though.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Avbird
Here's what page 139 of your owners manual says:

Transmission
fluid

Motorcraft
MERCON
V
ATF
4R75E 13.9 quarts

Secondly, let me ask you this, would you change the engine oil and not change the oil filter ????? Same concept.

Pulling the pan isn't that big of a job, however if your pan doesn't have a drain plug, it can be messy if you're not careful, hence the pain in the a^^ from spilling tranny fluid all over the place. I've gone swimming in tranny fluid before when the pan slipped while removing it to drain, it's not much fun. My expy has the drain plug on it so that's not an issue any more.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
jguti
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Have it professionally flushed at the dealer or another place that you trust. I have mine done every 35k - 40k and it costs me $130.00 at the dealer. I think Merc V is running just north of $4.00 per quart plus cost of screen and gasket if it's not re-useable. If you have to drop the pan, you won't know that until you do. Lets see, that puts us at about $85-$90 for parts and fluid and you still have to do the work. I do as much of my own work as possible but some things IMO are not practical.

Tim
That's what I thought.

Nice ship! What is it?
jg

Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM
madsonp
Also, when you have one of these it's real easy to do (sorry, I couldn't help it, I got to rub it in)

Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 AM
lzrj
Senior User
I thinking about just doing a pan drain and filter change. Am I right in that they say Mercon and Mercon V are compatible? I figure I will just change the fluid in the pan once a year which always keep fresh fluid in there and after several years it will be like a complete change. Also I would like to change the transfer case fluid but not sure on the procedure on that. Can anyone tell me? Its on an 01 5.4 with AWD

Old 01-13-2009, 01:23 PM
expy37at
Senior User
Every other oil change I drain the pan and replace with ~6qts of fluid.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
vettman80
Junior User
vettman80

for those of us that do not have a vehicle lift or hoist but want to catch most fluids menards and home depot carry plastic leak pans that go under washing machines these are 3 inches deep and work great at catching spills and cost 12.00 i dont use them for oil changes but when dropping a tranny pan they work great

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
expy37at
Senior User
Thanks Vettman, I 'm getting ready to change my filter.

Quick Reply: transmition fluid change