1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question F-150 vs. F-250

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 PM
watz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F-150 vs. F-250

Can anyone here compare their ¾ Ford to a ¾ Dodge as far as ride goes? I know the quality difference but I would like to hear about the ride difference, if any?

We are considering selling our ¾ ton for a F-150 because the ride is awesome and we don’t have a big heavy camper yet. I am just a little leery of losing all the capabilities of ¾ ton. Plus the 5.4 310 hp is a joke compared to the competition. My wife is really concerned about the ride because we have a bucking mule now and she wants out of it.

I am trying to hold out for a bobcat or at least something a little easier on fuel and wallet. But I don’t think I am going to be able to fight it much longer (if these deals keep getting sweeter).

Like I said we don’t have a camper but we plan on buying something for the 2 of us and at least 3 ATV’s Toy hauler or hybrid of some kind. So I would like to keep the ¾ ton capabilities BUT she is right when she says no matter what you will ride in it more times than you pull with it…

Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Angrywasp
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Others have had good luck smoothing the ride out some by putting bilstein shocks on their trucks. They have even said that their wives have noticed the difference in the ride so it has to make a considerable improvement in the ride.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Well, I moved from an F150 to an F250, and as you know the ride of the new F150's is just outstanding. You'll never get that in any Superduty.

On the other hand, a toyhauler to handle 3 ATV's will be more than I would pull with an F150. So you need to think about how likely you will be to actually get a trailer.

And on the third hand, hate to say it, but if ride quality is of utmost importance to you in a 3/4 ton truck, the Chevy has the best ride of them all. I won't go into all the other reasons NOT to get a Chevy, just saying they do ride well.

On the fourth hand, my brother had a 3/4 ton Dodge with the V-10 they had in 2000, and it rode just about like my F250. So I don't think you will see much improvement by going that way.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I think it depends on what years your talking about.

If you are getting a truck to use (even if you really USE it - haul or load it down to capacity or beyond - few times a year) I would go with a heavier duty truck than a 1/2 ton. My 2 cents worth, based on my experiences, a 1/2 ton is a joke for pulling on the highway. Especially if you get a big boxy camper. It isn't the weight that gets you, its the wind loading. If you want your transmission to shift all over creation and have semi trucks pass you - then get a 1/2 ton. If you want to sit back and enjoy the ride and get where you are going without a hasstle, get something with a diesel engine. Again, more experience speaking here - I could get better fuel mileage at 20,000lbs in my old work truck (f350 CCLB DRW 2x4 PSD) than I can in my current gasser 1/2 ton (silverado 5.3L XCSB 4x4) at 10,000lbs.

That said, a heavier truck will be stiffer - it should be. A 1/2 ton is a good daily driver and is softer/more comfortable. In my experiences I would equate a 1/2 ton to a cadillac and a 3/4 ton to a sports car - you feel the road more and it has more positive response. I don't think the ride quality is terrible, until you hook up to a heavy trailer. Light trailers aren't too bad. Its when you are pulling weight that is as heavy or heavier than the truck pulling it that you get tossed around (and goosenecks slam and bang all around, at least the one I pulled did).

The dodge 3/4 ton has a nice ride. I rode around in an 07 CCLB all day with a bobcat and other gear on a bumper pull equipment trailer through the foot hills to the appalachian mtns. The cummins engine is strong and I thought the ride was quite nice. The interior accomodations and seat quality were pretty good too. The only issue I had with it was due to the trailer's hydraulic break coupler - every time we stopped the trailer would move forward and press against the brake cylinder, then when we started again the truck would pull the tounge back out of the break and it would bang and jerk everything in the truck. Electric brakes are MUCH nicer.

I wouldn't get a dodge myself, but I don't have a problem with they way they drive one bit. Strong, nice ride.

You can get different shocks to change ride quality too.

Steve