1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Tranny problem(s) fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny problem(s) fixed

So Ive been posting over the last month or so about a few tranny problems I have been having. I had a really long shift delay from P to R or D and the TC would unlock anc lock under load. Well I fianly got around to dropping the pan this weekend and when the pan came down so did the filter. The advanced auto part filter I put in almost a year ago fell out of place and started sucking air. I replaced it with one from Ford and all my problems are fixed. The advanced one did not come with a new seal and I think that is the bigest problem with it becuase I had to reuse the old one. The Ford one does.

I still have a slight delay when going from P to R but I think it is pretty normal. The pressure does drop to almost 0 when it does this though. Durring that same time when the tranny was cold and I came up to a light, it felt like the TC was locking up and it would start to push through the brakes. It only did it when it was cold and only once or twice. This has not happened again sense the new filter.

Anyhow now I am looking into a VB from Racer X. A few questions are what all is in the VB when you get it from him? Does it have new valves or should I get new ones? What is a valve regulator? I don't know a whole lot about this part of my truck so anything you want to add would be helpfull to me. I want my truck to shift like a truck should and get rid of the slop. The RacerX VB seems like it will do what I want ot to do.
Thanks
John

Old 10-13-2008, 09:53 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have the VB but it should come complete. Remove yours and install the new VB. done deal.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Was it a 2 wheel drive filter in the 4x4 pan?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-problems.html

Bill

Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I don't have the VB but it should come complete. Remove yours and install the new VB. done deal.
Thanks, Getting a custom tune VB eliminates teh need for a shift kit right??

Originally Posted by MADVAN
Was it a 2 wheel drive filter in the 4x4 pan?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-problems.html

Bill
They asked if it had a deep pan or not and I told them it did. I also told them it is a 4x4. I do belive it was the right filter because the Ford one looked the same.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
the accumulaotr body from racer x will come with the custom springs and possibly custom valves. all you will have to do is remove the old one and install the new one. its literally a 5 minute job after the pan is dropped.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by 93f1505.0L
Thanks, Getting a custom tune VB eliminates teh need for a shift kit right??
That is correct

Old 10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Thanks, It is on the top of my short list. I cant belive the differance the filter made in the whole fell of the tranny.

2 more things though:
MADVAN told me the pressure at idle should be 50-65psi in P, N, D, 2 mine is at about 75-80psi. Any thoughts on what would cause this?

Second is the pressure drop when put into R, is that normal? It drops to 25 then goes up to about 130psi. MADVAN also said that the pressurre at idle in R should be 70-100psi so im high there too. Also when I am crusing and nail it the pressure can reach 200psi. I have a red brick Snap-on scanner If there is sometihing that it can help me with.
Thanks
John

Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Your pressures look good.
(1)-You could have a sticking main R-valve or S-body but doubt it.
(2)-It also could come from the tuner or (3)-someone modded
the main regulator valve at time of rebuild.
My WAG is 2 or 3

Bill

Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
the accumulaotr body from racer x will come with the custom springs and possibly custom valves. all you will have to do is remove the old one and install the new one. its literally a 5 minute job after the pan is dropped.
I bought and installed one VB from RacerX, and yes it came complete, removed the old one and install the new VB and thats it.
And here is something I could get from the forums about the VB and maybe helps you:
There are going to be some minor differences between each builder's valve body.

What you should expect from a custom valve body is firmer, quicker shifts more holding power on the clutches from additional fluid volume & pressure.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

<o> </o>
You shouldnt feel too much of a difference without your chip in. in stock form the stock vb does a fine job. you would be able to tell a huge difference if you added the chip and then added the vb like a couple days later. you would feel the tc locking and all kinds of craziness going on in the higher hp modes<o></o>
<o> </o>
Stock power, you won't see much. Turn up the power and you need to do something... Im still waiting for my chip.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 PM
93f1505.0L
Elder User
Originally Posted by MADVAN
Your pressures look good.
(1)-You could have a sticking main R-valve or S-body but doubt it.
(2)-It also could come from the tuner or (3)-someone modded
the main regulator valve at time of rebuild.
My WAG is 2 or 3

Bill
Thanks it does it with or with out the tuner.

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
I bought and installed one VB from RacerX, and yes it came complete, removed the old one and install the new VB and thats it.
And here is something I could get from the forums about the VB and maybe helps you:
There are going to be some minor differences between each builder's valve body.

What you should expect from a custom valve body is firmer, quicker shifts more holding power on the clutches from additional fluid volume & pressure.fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O> </O>
You shouldnt feel too much of a difference without your chip in. in stock form the stock vb does a fine job. you would be able to tell a huge difference if you added the chip and then added the vb like a couple days later. you would feel the tc locking and all kinds of craziness going on in the higher hp modes<O></O>
<O> </O>
Stock power, you won't see much. Turn up the power and you need to do something... Im still waiting for my chip.
Thanks. Sorry to here about your chip it must be the US to Mexico thing. A chip from TW will be about an month or so after I get the VB. I cant wait.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 93f1505.0L
Thanks it does it with or with out the tuner.

Thanks. Sorry to here about your chip it must be the US to Mexico thing. A chip from TW will be about an month or so after I get the VB. I cant wait.
Well, yesterday I received and installed the CHIP the problem was that the chip doesnt work the first time and I had to send again to TW for reburns and of course the thing US to Mexico.
Well it worked very find, you feel the change inmediatly, I saw smoke with street race and more in extreme, and well also you feel the work that is making the VB, so in resume Im very pleasent with both the TW CHIP and VB RACERX.
. I hope you find out the same, good luck