1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

reviews???? advice???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:32 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reviews???? advice???

hey guys, i have a paper due tuesday for english, and i had to pick a topic with 3 aspects, and compare andcontrast them. i chose the 5.4, v10, and powerstroke. if ya have the time, i would appreciate any comments or positive criticism.

Truck Buying

When buying any vehicle, there are many choices one must make. You have to choose vehicle type, a brand, the options you want, transmission type, color, configuration, and many other things. One of the most important decisions is which engine option you want. When buying a Ford Super Duty, you must pick between one of three engines, each of which have their own advantages, and disadvantages.
The first engine offered, or base engine is the Triton 5.4 liter gasoline powered V8. Towing power is rated in foot/pounds of torque, and the Triton 5.4 boasts 365 ft/lbs of torque, placing it in the forefront of its class. This may sound quite substantial, but when towing large loads, it comes up a bit shy of most people’s expectations. With current fuel prices, economy is of extreme importance. These engines will range from 11-14 mpg city, depending upon the truck package they are in. Overall, the 5.4 is a good option for the consumer who will not need to tow large loads frequently, such as people towing something like a moderate sized boat, or for fleet applications. Another advantage of the 5.4 is its longevity. Many of these engines have been noted to last 300,000 miles or more, when properly maintained.
The next most powerful engine offered is the Triton 6.8 liter V-10, which is essentially a 5.4 with two more cylinders. More cylinders equates to more power, therefore pushing the V-10 over 450 ft/lbs of torque. The V-10 is a great engine, but is not very economical to drive a lot of miles, due to the fact it will only get 8-11 mpg city. While having plenty of power to tow big loads, it just isn’t very affordable in the long run. The V-10 is ideal for the consumer who wants to tow occasionally, and will not be obtaining a great deal of miles. These people are often farmers, who do not drive very many road miles, and folks with large boats, and RV’s. The V-10 is a very reliable engine that is built to take abuse.
When the highway calls, and one needs to tow big loads with less maintenance and superior economy, the Powerstroke V-8 diesel powered engine is the king. The Powerstroke has been around for several years, and is proven for reliability. It has been offered in 7.3, 6.0, and now 6.4 liters respectively. Over the years, the power has ranged from 500 ft/lbs of torque, all the way up to today’s 650 ft/lb powerhouse. With mileage exceeding 20 mpg in many applications, the Powerstroke is very economical. Having a diesel engine decreases regular maintenance, which means more money in your pocket over time. The biggest financial drawback is the initial purchase, which can easily cost $6,000 more than the base engine new. This is truly a working man’s engine, built for towing 20,000 pounds or more, on a regular basis. These tough engines can easily last 500,000 miles of hard work, and not empty your pockets in the mean time.
All things considered, each engine offered has its own place. One must carefully weigh out the advantages and disadvantages of each contender, and decide what suits their needs best. These decisions need to be based on miles traveled per year, length of time you plan to own the vehicle, and what your purpose is for it. If I was going to tow 10,000 pounds and less, or mostly drive empty, I would choose the 5.4. For towing large loads, without many miles to be obtained, the V-10 is a very good contender, based on economy and power. But, as stated, when duty calls for the Super Duty, one must take a close look at the Powerstroke. After all, everything boils down to your personal needs and finances.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:46 PM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
looks good but they might think that you stole it right out of a sales brocure

Old 08-31-2008, 10:17 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
haha. i just needing some opinions on if it flows good sounds logical, cause that the english teacher grades on lol.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 AM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Seems like a pretty dang good paper to me. Just dont forget your MLA format, 12 pt font and all that stupid stuff. I hope my teacher lets me write papers on ford trucks, i could pass that english class with flying colors. lol

Old 09-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 stroke man
hey guys, i have a paper due tuesday for english, and i had to pick a topic with 3 aspects, and compare andcontrast them. i chose the 5.4, v10, and powerstroke. if ya have the time, i would appreciate any comments or positive criticism.

Truck Buying

When buying any vehicle, there are many choices one must make. You have to choose vehicle type, a brand, the options you want, transmission type, color, configuration, and many other things. One of the most important decisions is which engine option you want. When buying a Ford Super Duty, you must pick between one of three engines, each of which have their own advantages(,remove comma) and disadvantages.
The first engine offered, or base engine, is the Triton 5.4 liter gasoline powered V8. Towing power is rated in foot/pounds of torque, and the Triton 5.4 boasts 365 ft/lbs of torque, placing it in the forefront of its class. This may sound quite substantial, but when towing large loads, it comes up a bit shy of most people’s expectations. With current fuel prices, economy is of extreme importance. These engines will range from 11-14 mpg city, depending upon the truck package they are in. Overall, the 5.4 is a good option for the consumer who will not need to tow large loads frequently, such as people towing something like a moderate sized boat, or for fleet applications. Another advantage of the 5.4 is its longevity. Many of these engines have been noted to last 300,000 miles or more, when properly maintained.
The next most powerful engine offered is the Triton 6.8 liter V-10, which is essentially a 5.4 with two more cylinders. More cylinders equates to more power, therefore pushing the V-10 over 450 ft/lbs of torque. The V-10 is a great engine, but is not very economical to drive a lot of miles, (consider removing these 4 words and comma) due to the fact it will only get 8-11 mpg city. While having plenty of power to tow big loads, it just isn’t very affordable in the long run. The V-10 is ideal for the consumer who wants to tow occasionally,(remove comma) and will not be obtaining a great deal of miles. These people are often farmers, who do not drive very many road miles, and folks with large boats, (remove these 3 commas)and RV’s. The V-10 is a very reliable engine that is built to take abuse.
When the highway calls, and one needs to tow big loads with less maintenance and superior economy, the Powerstroke V-8 diesel powered engine is the king. The Powerstroke has been around for several years,(remove) and is proven for reliability. It has been offered in 7.3, 6.0, (remove) and now 6.4 liters respectively. Over the years, the power has ranged from 500 ft/lbs of torque, all the way up to today’s 650 ft/lb powerhouse. With mileage exceeding 20 mpg in many applications, (remove) the Powerstroke is very economical. Having a diesel engine decreases regular maintenance, which means more money in your pocket over time. The biggest financial drawback is the initial purchase, which can easily cost $6,000 more than the base engine new. This is truly a working man’s engine, built for towing 20,000 pounds or more, on a regular basis. These tough engines can easily last 500,000 miles of hard work, and not empty your pockets in the mean time.
All things considered, each engine offered has its own place. One must carefully weigh out the advantages and disadvantages of each contender, and decide what suits their needs best. These decisions need to be based on miles traveled per year, length of time you plan to own the vehicle,(remove) and what your purpose is for it. If I was going to tow 10,000 pounds and less, or mostly drive empty, I would choose the 5.4. For towing large loads, without many miles to be obtained, the V-10 is a very good contender, based on economy and power. But, as stated, when duty calls for the Super Duty, one must take a close look at the Powerstroke. After all, everything boils down to your personal needs and finances.
See remarks above. This flows pretty good. I am not a grammar teacher by far but these are my opinions. I believe there are a few too many commas. I like the paper it is very informative and could possibly help a buyer to decide which engine he/she wants/needs. These are just suggestions so you may want to check with others to confirm.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
When I took tech. writing in college, every paper I wrote was either about my truck, my dirt bike, or my snowmobile. After the first couple of papers I always had the same few guys lined up wanting to review my papers for some reason

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM
custom_nirvana
Senior User
Man im sorry i didnt see you post earlier, I would have helped you out.I hate to say it but this paper needs a lot of work. you intro doesnt say what you paper is about, you have no theises statment, you list opions that you dont even mention later in the paper. once in the body of the paper u give few examples, remeber examples explain you point so the more you have the more a paragraph makes sense to the reader/ the reader can relate. I do however like you conclusion. X2 on the commas. Im guessing you still in high school, so you paper shouldnt do to bad. just the 2cents, although to late. good luck though.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:46 PM
884x4broncoII
Posting Guru
i agree it should be broken up in more paragraphs an intro paragraph probably 2 body paragraphs and a closing paragraph or more or less an overview or summary. but writing and spelling are about my two worst subjects when i was in school.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
If you got the chance to do a revision, i would make the following remarks:
It isnt very long, i dont know if it suited your needs, but it doesnt seem like it would.
It does sound like it was taken right out of a sales brochure
You could use a better transition between each paragraph
I would reference the time frames of the powerstroke, as well as Each one's torque rating. BTW i think ours is only 425 from the factory, but i'm not completely sure on that.
I would also note the ease to modify a powerstroke for a larger load than factory recommendations.
Hope i helped.
What year are you?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what grade is it being written for? it needs an intro, body and conclusion, need cited examples from you research material,

each engine should have a description in its own paragraph. then in a seperate paragraph you should compare which is better for the needs of the owner.

it appears i caught this topic late as i think it was due today. sorry

Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
thanks guys. its english 101, i am a college freshman. i get to revise, and am going to relate the first paragraph to how i had to choose, and how i have owned a 5.4 and powerstroke. the rules are:

3 things to compare and contrast in 3 body paragraphs, with an opening paragraph, and a concluding paragraph. it had to be something i liked, and was interested in. double spaced, can only take up 2 pages, and a couple lines on the 3rd page.

it will be a few class period project, as we are gonna be grading in class on structure, and those things over the next couple weeks, before we do a final final one

Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
custom_nirvana
Senior User
Since this was only a ruff draft i would highly recamend that you use ur 3 paragraphs to explanie 3 different aspects of each enigine. say power, trans, and maitnence. since this paper is for college u r really going to need a thesis statement, if u havent learn about them yet ur time is coming up real quick since ur in 1101. i agree with coonhunter, you will need cited matierial in you paper too, the more the better, they also work as a great filler. another thing you may need to think about is will you teacher find your topic interresting? If you have a female teacher you un the chance of her not being too into you paper, therefore shes really going to crack down and with all the enviromental friendly ppl out there today i would be scared to make it obsive that you diesel trucks. ive known teachers to grade down becuase they didnt agree with somethen someone has said. man i feel like im writing a paper......