Sponsored by:

Keeping the X?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 PM
ducky
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping the X?

Just sold my travel trailer tonight. Wife is burnt on camping so we close on a condo at Lake of the Ozarks on 8/29. Bought a boat as well that will be kept on a lift at the dock. No more towing but I want to keep the x. Were a family of 4 and the trip to the lake is 180 miles each way from St Louis. We will go most weekends late spring summer early fall when it is warm. My 03 X 7.3 has 54k miles with plenty of upgrades and I am having hard time with the thought of selling it even with the cost of diesel. Paid 29k for it and I cant imagine what it's worth now. A car is not an option since I do some hunting. Can't imagine a burb. Sounds like a hold to me. What do you boys think?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote, keep the X. You'll only do as I did. I sold it and kicked myself everyday until I bought another one. So save yourself the grief and keep the one you have.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
If you sell it - you'll loose. Autos are never really an 'ivestment' and its seldom you ever get your $$ out of them.... but right the market is not good for our large SUVs. If you had a 250/350, it's be a different story, but the X's are just not selling like they used to.

I vote - keep it! Your family can travel to the lake in comfort and safety.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Keep it for sure...you've got one of the most fuel efficient motors in ANY SUV...

So if you 'need' an SUV for hunting...you will NOT find a better all around motor...

Plus you've got the KING of SUV's from a comfort and interior room standpoint...anything else you get just for hunting will be a major disappointment...

If the truck is still treating you right...hold on to the gal...she's done you right so far.

You could do a few mods (check the 7.3L forum) like exhaust, intake and a chip and get even better unloaded mpg's...although you didn't mention which upgrades you have ALREADY done...

Good luck with the decision...

Joe.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
BobBarry
Senior User
About the only time I'd consider selling the Ex is if I didn't ever have to tow or haul anything AND I didn't have to ever carry a large number of people some distance.

Since you do hunting and some hefty travel, then I'd say keep it.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 PM
fatswany
Senior User
Keep it, all the reasons above..............

Old 08-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I say keep it. You have a very unique vehicle that does more than the average SUV.

Many have sold their X for something else (or all together) and kicked themselves daily for doing so. Think about it, someday you'll eventually do something that you KNEW the X would be perfect for; you'll think about what you did and regret it.

Matter of fact, there was a user on here that sold his awesome, trouble free, '04 6.0 X just to get an H2. He regretted it after awhile because of the terrible fuel economy and posted on the boards accordingly.

Here's a few quotes from his post:

"Are there any Ford sales people or representatives that frequent the forums? I owned a 2004 Ford Excursion and traded it in for a 2005 HUMMER H2 and am now looking to go to a 2005 Ford Excursion. I have viewed some of the local dealerships in ******** but have had some horrible responses. It would be great if I could find someone to deal with online, and have the vehicle shipped to me instead. I am still not certain about the deal, but I would like to crunch some numbers to at least figure out if this is something that I want to do or can do."

"Buying a used Excursion is an option I am looking at, too. There is actually a really nice one on a GM lot here in town, but it has the 7.3L diesel and I really loved the 6.0L I had. (It is a 2003, so it was the transition year.) It is lifted, new wheels and tires, everything. But I think the 6.0L did slightly better for fuel economy, and that is my only reason for getting out of the H2, as I love it. But I love the Excursion almost as much, and the fuel economy is the big thing I crave. It's not worlds above and beyond the H2, but it is enough, and in *****, diesel costs about 10% less than gasoline. But I do agree with your idea, and used might be the way I end up going."

I came close to selling mine back in '03, but after finding FTE and all the mods and fixes; I kept mine. In another 2 days, it'll be 7 happy, trouble free years with my X and I look forward to many more. Hang on to yours, you'll be glad you did.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
ducky
Freshman User
Yeah, Ive got to keep it. Alot of mods done-afe, silverline, edge, ras, 2 inch from end lift, hellwig, bilsteins, brand new SA pro grade 285's. I would definitely regret selling it. Thanks for chiming in.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
SilverBullet05X
Junior User
I have been thinking alot about this with the fuel prices and all, but the bottom line is my wife and I love the X. We feel that we get what we pay for and that it is a solid vehicle with plenty of room and power. We don't drive it as much these days, but it still gets a regular workout. my 2 cents