Deep transmission pan

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Part-Timer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep transmission pan

Hi all,

I have a 2000 V10 4x4 and am planning to drop my trans pan and change out the tranny fluid in the near future. I was thinking that this was a good time to install a deep trans pan.

All of the threads that I've read say that the Mag-hytec pans are too deep and won't clear the frame's crossmember. I've also looked at the Derale pan, but I'm not sure about the "cooling tubes" vs. the fins on the Mag-hytec.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Derale pan, and/or have an other options that I should consider? I came across a Ford OEM deep pan which says it will fit the 7.3l diesel X's, but it made no mention about the V10.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
The pan mating surface on every 4R100 is identical. If it bolts to a diesel 4R100 it will bolt to a gas 4R100.

Having told you that I don't see a benefit of a deep pan. It isn't going to cool the fluid. The air around a trans is HOT, so how is hot air going to cool the trans? Plus the flow in the pan is not conducive to cooling the fluid.

The pan holds fluid, the trans coolers cool fluid. If you want to cool your trans fluid better you would be far better off spending your money on replacing the too small air to oil trans cooler with a better one, such as a 6.0L cooler.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pretty much agree with the above post. But I will throw in that having an extra quart or two of fluid provides that much more fluid that has to get heated before your overheating. Boiling a gallon of water takes longer then boiling a half gallon of water. It will not hurt, and will help somewhat, but not really "as advertised". Spend the $ ona quality B&M supercooler before you spend it on a deep pan in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Try this site: PML Ford Transmission Pan

I put the PML pan on my 6.0 X. Mine holds 4.5 quarts more then the OEM pan. Pan quality and fit are excellent.

DSMMH

Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Brians97F250Crew
Elder User
I got a Hughes pan. The Mag-Hytec is nice but isn't worth the money in my opinion. The Hughes do the same thing for a lot less money. Whichever you choose the back bolts are hard to get in due to the crossmember being close.

HUGHES

Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by 1
I pretty much agree with the above post. But I will throw in that having an extra quart or two of fluid provides that much more fluid that has to get heated before your overheating. Boiling a gallon of water takes longer then boiling a half gallon of water. It will not hurt, and will help somewhat, but not really "as advertised". Spend the $ ona quality B&M supercooler before you spend it on a deep pan in my opinion.
It also provides more heat AFTER the engine is shut down. Boiling a gallon of water takes longer than boiling half a gallon of water. OTOH, when you shut the heat off, it will take longer for that gallon to cool off as opposed to the half gallon.

Something else to consider. BTS warranties their transmission even AFTER 2 yrs. If he could cut down repairs, why won't he recommend you get a deep pan? After all, it is on YOUR dime and he is getting the benefits.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Brians97F250Crew
Elder User
I'm waiting on someone to come out with an aluminum finned pan with a 10" fan mounted to the bottom of it with a thermal switch. HAHAHA..... Hmmmmmmmmm

Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by aklim
It also provides more heat AFTER the engine is shut down. Boiling a gallon of water takes longer than boiling half a gallon of water. OTOH, when you shut the heat off, it will take longer for that gallon to cool off as opposed to the half gallon.
Interesting way of looking at it that I never thought of. The goal is to prevent it from getting that hot in the first place though. Extra fluid and a bigger cooler should stop this issue before it ever starts. One could also argue the deeper pan has more surface area and thus also cools a little more. This kinda reminds me of the who came first the chicken or the egg. Did your bigger pan help alleviate some of that heating problem before it ever happened, or did it help it stay hot longer?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 1
Extra fluid and a bigger cooler should stop this issue before it ever starts. One could also argue the deeper pan has more surface area and thus also cools a little more. This kinda reminds me of the who came first the chicken or the egg. Did your bigger pan help alleviate some of that heating problem before it ever happened, or did it help it stay hot longer?
All I see the extra fluid do is act as something that slows down the heating process. Is there a little more surface area? Definitely. Will it help significantly? I don't think so. The stock cooler is about a third of the 6.0 cooler. Will that help more? I think so.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Mr. Obvious
Cross-Country
I have a 2000 Limited V10 4x4 and I put on the Mag-Hytec tranny pan four years ago and had no problems with clearance. Went on fine. It is also nice since it has the drain plug and already tapped for a temp sender.

The rear end cover is also nice since it has a dipstick and 2 places for a temp sender. I put that on as well.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious
I have a 2000 Limited V10 4x4 and I put on the Mag-Hytec tranny pan four years ago and had no problems with clearance. Went on fine. It is also nice since it has the drain plug and already tapped for a temp sender.

The rear end cover is also nice since it has a dipstick and 2 places for a temp sender. I put that on as well.
But what has it done besides lighten the wallet?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Posting Guru
I still say that having the extra capacity is a good benefit as it takes longer to heat the fluid, and most people arent starting at the bottom of mt everest and climbing to the top without stopping. The added fluid takes longer to heat, and will help PREVENT overheating in the first place. In the event you did overheat yoru oversize pan, you would have done notably more damage to your transmission without that pan. So I still say it is a worthwhile investment if you pull heavy loads and encounter some hills/mountains. I would not go off spending stupid amounts of $ on some overly fancy setup thugh.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by 1
I still say that having the extra capacity is a good benefit as it takes longer to heat the fluid, and most people arent starting at the bottom of mt everest and climbing to the top without stopping. The added fluid takes longer to heat, and will help PREVENT overheating in the first place. In the event you did overheat yoru oversize pan, you would have done notably more damage to your transmission without that pan. So I still say it is a worthwhile investment if you pull heavy loads and encounter some hills/mountains. I would not go off spending stupid amounts of $ on some overly fancy setup thugh.
Questions:

1. Did you have a gauge and can tell how much longer it took to get up to temps?

2. What about the extra length of time the trans is soaking in the hot fluid when you shut down?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Brians97F250Crew
Elder User
This is my opinion and that only and what I saw from my replacement.

It did take longer for the trans to get up to operating temp after my fluid change and deep pan install.

About the heat soak thing. My thinking on this is : I would say between a 2 qt steel pan and a 4 qt aluminum finned pan that they would either dissipate about the same or the aluminum one would cool the fluid down faster. Aluminum draws heat away from whatever it's in contact with and releases it. Steel tends to hold in heat longer.

But what has it done besides lighten the wallet?
Well it makes service & drain a lot less messy. I hate tranny fluid baths

Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Brians97F250Crew
It did take longer for the trans to get up to operating temp after my fluid change and deep pan install.

About the heat soak thing. My thinking on this is : I would say between a 2 qt steel pan and a 4 qt aluminum finned pan that they would either dissipate about the same or the aluminum one would cool the fluid down faster. Aluminum draws heat away from whatever it's in contact with and releases it. Steel tends to hold in heat longer.
Well it makes service & drain a lot less messy. I hate tranny fluid baths
Is that a good thing to have?

Dad has one of those pans and I can tell you that it is way thicker than the steel so that might also factor into the equation.

What's wrong with them though? You get a couple girls to get the bath then have a cat fight with 2 lubed up girls.

IIRC, my stock pan also has a drain plug.

Quick Reply: Deep transmission pan