1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Little things do matter

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:29 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Little things do matter

After chasing an overheating problem that I don't really think existed, it turned out the sending unit(s) was bad, I finally was able to start checking other items on my list that needed attention. The rebuilt chassis and engine sat some time before I bought and then sat some more, all the time inside, before I could really get to it so it accumulated problems just from sitting so long.

I am kind of glad I did all I did to find out the sending unit was bad. The engine needed to flushed out because it sat so long. I might not of thought about it if I just could start it up and drive away.

Next, the charging system didn't work. I rewired the entire truck with proper color and gauge wire. The needle on the gauge would indicate charging for a few minutes then start bouncing around. The generator was putting out a charge. Easy fix, replace the regulator with another one from my parts pile. Now it works.

The engine didn't run quite right and was hard starting so I figured it could use a freshing up in the ignition system. I had put all new plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, points, condensor and rotor in a few years back but it's been sitting a while and I have been working on it starting and stopping, chocking it out with the ignition on and so on. Here's where the little things play an important part:

Pulled all the plugs, cleaned and checked the gap. Two were kind of wide, they were all dirty.

I checked the points and they were burned a bit so I filed them clean.

Reinstalled everything, tried to start, nothing. Would crank over but no spark. It ran before I cleaned and adjusted the points. Also, I had trouble when I cranked it over, some times it would spin OK but slow down, then crank OK again. Also, the starter started to smoke.

I pulled the distributor cap off and saw the wire from coil coming from the insulator on the bottom of the distributor to the top of the points had a piece of black electrical tape loosely wrapper around it. I figured when I adjusted the points I moved the advance place and grounded this wire out. I had this same wire break on my F-2. For such a small wire it can cause a big problem. Made a new wire and the truck started, but not real good. I set the timing but the truck still didn't start any easier and it still ran a little rough.

I disconnected the all of the power cables in the starter circuit and found the ground connection to the engine dirty and paint on the manifold under the cable. Also, the connection on the starter was corroded. Cleaned all connection, and new nut on starter. Good electrical connections is rule #1 whenever having an electrical problem, I have found it can also affect the way your engine runs. The truck started on the first try. I even drove it around the block to get it warmed up. When I got back home I turned it off, hit the starter and it fired right up. It never did this before. Now it fires up on the first try.

I just wanted to remind you guys that the little things do matter. Before you start tearing everything apart check the small things like electrical connections, timing, the stuff that doesn't cost much to fix. I am the first to ignore this advise but it always seems to come back and bite me for not doing the easy things first.

Summer is starting to look good. Next, I have to get my F-2 out of storage. I didn't have it out all last season and I really missed it.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:47 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the fix........yes I cannot agree with your more, grounds clean and tight, wires not corroded, connections not painted, wires not "mickey-moused" spliced together etc etc. Of course there is money to be made when someone has electrical problems though

Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are so right!! I wish I was a little more of an electrician,but when in business hired electricians and so I never learned much about wiring. I tried to talk my old electrician to work on my truck,but too far away and not worth it. I see you had a nice day working on your truck,and thay is what it is all about!!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I build industrial control systems for a living. I own the business so I have miles of wire at my disposal. The wiring for these old trucks is pretty simple compared to the systems I work on but they can still be confusing.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I pulled the distributor cap off and saw the wire from coil coming from the insulator on the bottom of the distributor to the top of the points had a piece of black electrical tape loosely wrapper around it. I figured when I adjusted the points I moved the advance place and grounded this wire out. I had this same wire break on my F-2. For such a small wire it can cause a big problem. Made a new wire .
Like this?

[/IMG]

Old 05-05-2008, 07:48 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Yes, but that's a little more complex wire than what is on a stock flattie. The one in the flattie distributor is a simple wire with a crimped wire connector on each end.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:03 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the refresher on the "simple things". I know its true in my case alot and I'm sure its the same with others. When we have some problem with out trucks we tend to over think the problem and overlook the small items. I would say that the majority of electrical problems on vehicles can be traced to a bad ground or connection.

Glad to hear you made so much progress
Bobby

Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 AM
54-4U2C
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob,

This could be said about everything we touch, whether it's our trucks, our jobs or our relationships. Start with the little things, it also makes you feel good being able to cross them off the list.

Ron

Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Flatmotor is a Beautiful thing, if you pay attention to it.
You knew Flatheads overheated, you got so fixated on the Engine running hot that you didn't check to see if it was hot.
Flatheads are hard to start. (Sometimes maybe when under the influence of the Demon Grounds.)
Flatheads are a Bear to Time. (Specially with a Bare Wire.)
When you're up to your Butt in Aligators, Skeeters can be a problem too.

Glad to see you got back on top of that beast.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I've found on any car that taking care of small problems regularly helps you catch the ones that will become big problems. Getting rid of an annoying squeak in the brake pedal, you find out the return spring is missing. Annoying rattle in the exhaust, you find the e-brake cable is laying on it.

Word of the day: How many posts have we seen on "getting stuck door hinge pins out?" Anybody oiled theirs lately?! That's why they get stuck! We ought to have a monthly Reminder Post: Oil your door hinges, grease your brake/clutch pedals, oil your leaf springs....