1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injector install gone bad, real bad.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:54 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Injector install gone bad, real bad.

Well here's the set up..... Travis, (Strokin_Tatsch) Has bought my stage 1's out of my old truck No.3. This weekend was the time to do the change outs.
Keep in mind, I have 2 jobs, so the only time we get to do this is at night.....all night.

Friday, weld from daylight till 5pm. Go home, mow the yard and have dinner with the family. Everyone goes to bed, and I'm gonna get a head start by pulling the injectors from No.3. This is a 5 hour job for me if nobody bugs me. Well, no dice, it rains like hell before I can get to the shop. No problem, we have All night Saturday.

Saturday, wake up and actually get to spend the day with the family for a change and not weld. Finally everyone goes to bed and I get to start on No.3 about 10pm. Travis shows up to help. We pulled the stage 1's and reinstalled the stock injectors with new orings. We're driving it at 3am, we're good to go. However we know rain is coming.

Crossroad............ I ask Travis if he wants to continue on till the moring and get his injectors in. Of course he says yes, I would have too.

3:30am, I start taking his truck apart. Meanwhile he's cleaning and installing new orings on the stage 1's. About 4:30 it starts to sprinkle. No problem, I go get the canopy and we put it up over his truck. (I don't have a covered shop, just shop and ashpalt pad.) No problem, we're good to go now.

6:20am We are ready to install injectors, and we are about an hour behind because of a stuck glow plug. No injectors, glowplugs in the motor, it's wide open and it happens...............................

The wind picks up bringing hard rain. Travis is doing his best to hold the canopy down while I try to cover the motor. I litteraly throw all my tools on the ground along with the glow plugs and bolts to every thing. Throw the valvecovers loosly on there with rags under them. But the cowl is just pouring water in the drivers side head. (the rain is blowing under the canopy.) Screw it, I close the hood and we hold the canopy.................

Then the Hail hits, 1/2 inch hail. We can no longer stand the pain of the hail and the canopy is lifting us off the ground, and let go of the canopy and dive for the shop. An hour goes by and we check the damage.

Canopy was folded up like a beer can, and water obviously in the motor. At this point, we still want to try and finish. (Keep in mind, we've both been up for 26hrs at this point and now we are soaked and hungry.) I suck out the cyclinders quickly and we get 4 injectors in...Rains again.....suck out the other 4 and get the other 4 injectors in. Starts raining AGAIN. Finally, I called it and took Travis home about 9am. He had to be to work at 1pm and I had to be at work at 6pm. We both got very little sleep.

So when I get off tomorrow morning 6am, I will finish the install and flood the motor with oil and change it before startup and we should be good.

I thought for sure I could do 2 complete injector installs in one night but mother nature had other ideas. So I'll let yall know how it comes out. I'm assuming Travis has already gotten home from work and went to bed. I feel so bad for not getting it done for him because he has been so patient. But I bet we will look at the radar before doing 2 installs in one night. I tell ya guys, it was a rough night. And now I'm tired as hell at work right now. Anyway, I thought yall might like that story.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like you guys have my luck! Hopefully it all works out for you both.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Wow I'm sorry to hear that! Wish I lived closer and could give you guys a hand! Hope everything turns out ok, keep us updated

-Robb

Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, and i thought i had bad luck..... sorry to hear that

Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like a rough night! Way to go for goin' the extra mile for a fello powerstroker though!!!! Rep points sent!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nuts! I guess I have to spread the points around a bit more.....

Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

wow that is quite the rough night!! Just crank it over with the GP's out so none of that water/oil hydro the engine. change the oil and run it!! Any dents from the hail?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Reps Taken care of. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, gotta love that TX weather...
Good luck on finishing!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Well, I went home and went to bed instead. I was cold this morning and I didn't want to deal with it. So I woke up early before work today and finished. Truck runs good, but I didn't drive it. I wanted to change the oil first. So Travis is headed to the shop to pick it up. I left all the stuff to change the oil for him. I'm anxious to see how he likes the new injectors. But so far so good.

Thanks for the rep guys. Tim I used my mity vac to suck out the cyclinders. Those weren't my concern. It was the water that went past there to the pan that I was concerned about. But I think we are in good shape.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
either one of you all got core you want to sell cheap??

Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

I don't have any that I'm willing to part with. I have one complete extra set. But those are staying tucked away in my go fast cabinet. And I'm pretty sure that Travis doesn't have any. Sorry brother.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
So, in your signature block, when you say, Goodbye no. 3 i'll miss you, is that referring to the truck?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:49 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
yes secondary that is referring to his old blue dually.

Cody i was at matts sunday, and as soon as travis sat down he was passed out. sorry i didnt make it out. me and matt were putting a gooseneck in Mac's truck. and it was a long day for us as well so we went home and passed out.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by secondarychaos
So, in your signature block, when you say, Goodbye no. 3 i'll miss you, is that referring to the truck?
Yes, I'm talking about my blue truck. I love that truck. It almost killed me to take all the hotrod parts off of it. But I had to have room for the family, so I found my new truck after looking for 2 years. But that blue truck was built by me and all you guys here on FTE. When I bought it, I didn't know anything.

Quick Reply: Injector install gone bad, real bad.