1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Vaccum color coding

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Paint markers??

http://www.staples.com/uni-Paint-Mar...duct_SS1003205

I just put a band of nail polish at each end sometimes.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On you Vacuum Hose Routing sticker

There is a square with two circles on it. It hasdash dash dash to the words Fuel Tanks. Well, not being 20 years old, but about 3 times that I didn't know about the "new" way to save ink is to not put a box around the words, but let them hang out their in space labeling...I guess just the words Fuel Tanks. Those dash dash dash marks are say to the
Fuel Tanks. The rectangle that has a dot on either side and IS NOT labeled is the Charcoal Canister. Because you in all your wisdom should just know that without them putting in some initials like CC or Ch C. The Charcoal Canister has two line going into it.
a big one for the fuel tank and a small one for ?.
The other side of the charcoal canister has some kind of cap. I flunked my SMOG because mine has never had that cap. And when you buy a new one it doesn't come with that cap. So where to get a cap for a truck that is rated OBSOLETE by the state of California. Even though they made the same charcoal canister up to 1990 and more, you had better know for sure because here they will not cross ref. If it is for a 1981 truck it just says OBSOLETE even to buy a battery at Costco!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Old81F100Brown
So, if someone can come up with a reasonable way to make a colored stripe down a black vacuum hose, I am all ears! I have tried, tape, markers. But I haven't tried paint. It would have to be a painted stripe the long way, just like OEM.
Here's a thread where this matter was discussed:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uum-hoses.html

Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I found out why I can't find anything on using colored vacuum hose here in California! Because you will not pass SMOG here in Cali with anything other than black vacuum hoses. Thus the colored stripes down the side of the black vacuum hoses from the factory.
This is incorrect. Ford used black rubber vacuum hoses with stripes down them yes, but Ford also used hard plastic vacuum tubing that was color coded during these same year models. So if they are telling you different they are full of crap.

I know because I was told at the SMOG center their orders are to run the test and then flunk you (thus getting your $65 to $125) because you have other than black vacuum hoses. They even tried to say that the colored tape I used instead of colored hoses was on there to plug a leak. And tried to take it off!
You didn't wrap the whole hose with tape did you? That would make even me wonder why you did that.

I've been using colored tape on black vacuum hoses for decades in California and never had a problem because of the hoses having colored tape for identifying purposes. I just put one or two wraps over each end of hose for identifying purposes. I do not wrap the whole hose though.

They have to run the tailpipe emissions first, before the visual inspection, yes. This is so your vehicle will more than likely gross polute into their computer. You do not want your vehicle to be labled a gross poluter, as it's a death sentence for the vehicle.
So I flunked because (A) I had a colored hose and (B) there was no cap on one side of my carbon canister. [/quote]

The cap is just a dust cap. Go to any wrecking yard and you should be able to find one. It just presses on.

And the good folks at DMV SMOG said that it wouldn't make any difference on the test, it was just the State of California is trying to get as many old cars off the road to stimulate the economy.
So, if someone can come up with a reasonable way to make a colored stripe down a black vacuum hose, I am all ears! I have tried, tape, markers. But I haven't tried paint. It would have to be a painted stripe the long way, just like OEM.
Are they telling you the hoses have to be color coded?

I would take my vehicle to another smog station. The people at the place you are going are inept, and possibly schisters. From what you say, they don't even know what OEM was on your vehicle.

Most smog places will give you free retests when returning after repairs.

You can always get a refferee involved as well.

Refferees are sort of judges, and are alowed to make concessions with smog equippment in certain situations.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Like I said, Black Vacuum Hoses are the only legal thing in CA. I didn't mention what they were made of. I put one wrap of colored tape at the end of the hose. Please read before burning. And yes I got flunked because the dust cap was missing. I repeat. They have orders to get old rigs off the road. This is a brand new SMOG place and they are operating under the orders from above. Of course I will push ahead. And after the kid went over my engine pulling and prodding, I will go to another smog place. I just want to alert all you F-100 fans here in Cali that the gun sights are on us. I am looking to buy something 1967 or older just so I can stop with the smog, and then trade out to a modern engine. After all, if you switch engines and it doesn't go to a smog place, who looks under your hood?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Like I said, Black Vacuum Hoses are the only legal thing in CA.
But that's incorrect. You can have the original OEM colored plastic tubing that Ford used when it was new, If equipped. Whoever told you that is wrong.

I didn't mention what they were made of. I put one wrap of colored tape at the end of the hose. Please read before burning.
I'm not trying to argue with you, but I am trying to help you.

Go to another smog place, they are obviously being stupid.

As I already said, I've used that method for over 20 years, and not once had been told anything like you are describing. That's like failing you for a smog check because your engine isn't the right shade of blue. I'd actually go to the refferee on that one, as the ref will side with you on that, and probably give that smog shop of yours a warning.

And yes I got flunked because the dust cap was missing. I repeat. They have orders to get old rigs off the road. This is a brand new SMOG place and they are operating under the orders from above. Of course I will push ahead. And after the kid went over my engine pulling and prodding, I will go to another smog place. I just want to alert all you F-100 fans here in Cali that the gun sights are on us.
The dust cap is easy to get. As for older vehicles, they have been trying to get rid of them for a long time. Mostly uninformed polititians.

You just need to learn how to jump through their hoops in the proper way, and your life will be a lot easier.

I am looking to buy something 1967 or older just so I can stop with the smog, and then trade out to a modern engine. After all, if you switch engines and it doesn't go to a smog place, who looks under your hood?
There is talk of rolling back the smog exemption to 1960/1965. There is also talk of rolling it forward to 1980. Which do you think they will decide?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time to get my 56 ****** roadworthy....

And as far as stimulating the economy, outlawing my older truck will not get me to buy a new one.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
But that's incorrect. You can have the original OEM colored plastic tubing that Ford used when it was new, If equipped. Whoever told you that is wrong.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I am trying to help you.

Go to another smog place, they are obviously being stupid.

As I already said, I've used that method for over 20 years, and not once had been told anything like you are describing. That's like failing you for a smog check because your engine isn't the right shade of blue. I'd actually go to the refferee on that one, as the ref will side with you on that, and probably give that smog shop of yours a warning.

The dust cap is easy to get. As for older vehicles, they have been trying to get rid of them for a long time. Mostly uninformed polititians.

You just need to learn how to jump through their hoops in the proper way, and your life will be a lot easier.

There is talk of rolling back the smog exemption to 1960/1965. There is also talk of rolling it forward to 1980. Which do you think they will decide?
My truck is 1981 so I am still frelled. Maybe a 56 *****'s like someone else suggested and getting a crate engine? Anyway, I have been working on color coding my vacuum hoses for over two years. So when this kid says it can't have anything but black vacuum hoses I just PHewwwwww thought why the heck isn't it written down somewhere or someone else know that? Sorry for the flare.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,685 Likes on 1,361 Posts
You can buy numbers for labelling wires. I use them all the time when tearing a engine apart that has lots of hoses and wires. I just start with 1, and go on up till get everything disconnected. I put the wire number around the hose or wiring, and the same number stuck to where it came from. That's if you are really worried about getting something mixed up.

On a big job, when I am putting it back together, I start at the highest number(sometimes I use a piece of paper to check them off) and start counting down to number 1. That way I don't forget and leave something disconnected.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
My truck is 1981 so I am still frelled.
I know exactly what you mean. I thought the same thing. Why couldn't the new cut off date be 1982 or 1985 etc...

The reason why is by California emission standards, 1976 to 1980 are in one class. These vehicles are allowed more tailpipe emissions than the next class, 1981 to 1995.

Yes that means that my 1981 will fail at the same comparable tailpipe emission rate as a 1995 would fail at, because they have the same cutoff allowable limit.

Maybe a 56 *****'s like someone else suggested and getting a crate engine? Anyway, I have been working on color coding my vacuum hoses for over two years. So when this kid says it can't have anything but black vacuum hoses I just PHewwwwww thought why the heck isn't it written down somewhere or someone else know that? Sorry for the flare.
No problem.

I had a shop fail my smog check because my timing was at 14 degrees when it should be 6 degrees. He forgot to disconnect the distributor vacuum advance and plug it off so it would drop to 6 degrees like it should. My 1981 is the first year they tried computer contolled advance, and it uses a EGR solenoid to adjust and retard timing using the vacuum advance line. This type of system only lasted 3 years and only in California on the 300-6. How many people are going to know this system and how to work on it? I only know due to my experience with it.

So no, the smog techs can make mistakes.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So glad I moved out of Cali. Still have checks, but civilized here. So long as what comes out the pipe is good, it passes. They don't care what is under the hood so long as the tailpipe is clean.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:29 AM
pishta
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stripe the hoses with paint, just run them across a wooden paint roller like they do on a the line. That's how they stripe copper wire too.