1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Vaccum color coding

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
tommythomasson
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vaccum color coding

Anyone know how to interpret the color coding on the vac diagrams under the hood? There about 5 different colors, but no "key" that defines what the different colors represent. All I can figure is that they are for different sizes of line (didn't know if this was a standard anywhere).

Also, anyone know what "SA-FV" might stand for on this vac diagram? (some kind of valve I'm sure)

Hell, I might as well throw a few more up here...

VRDV?
TVS?
T REST?
V REST?
V-CBV?

I've come a long way reading and understanding these diagrams, but I haven't quite mastered it...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,658 Likes on 1,341 Posts
Here's a very good site for looking up most of those terms. And it even has links embedded in the descriptions that will explain how some of it works.
Dictionary of Automotive Terms A-Z

Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
I've never seen a color code for vacuum hoses by either function or size. I just thought they were there as a troubleshooting aid to match the actual hose with the underhood diagram.
SA-FV = Separator Assembly - Fuel Vacuum
VRDV = Vacuum Retard Delay Valve
TVS = Thermal Vacuum Switch
V REST = Vacuum Restrictor
T REST & V-CBV are not listed in my '83 Emissions Shop Manuals.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM
tommythomasson
Junior User
Originally Posted by Piffery1
I've never seen a color code for vacuum hoses by either function or size. I just thought they were there as a troubleshooting aid to match the actual hose with the underhood diagram.
While we're on the topic - does size really matter? (talking about vacuum hoses here)... I know there are several sizes of hose avaliable - I didn't pay much attention to what what there when I ripped it off. They all seem to be pretty close in diameter...

BTW:
Piffery - thanks for the list... I know I've needed to get a set of shop manuals for my truck - this might be the trigger

Franlin - thanks too, I think you forwarded that to me a few months ago, and I lost/forgot about it. saved it this time.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Vacuum hose sizes, as with many other things, make a difference. If it's too small for the fitting then it can't be forced on or will soon split. Too large and it won't seal or it slips off.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
On my vac diagram BV is bowl vent and VCBV (i think) is a vacuum controlled check valve so while running, vacuum does not reduce bowl pressure.

T REST seems to me that it would be a Thermostatic Restriction, like the VCV controlling my distributor advance.

Though it's a HD460 you can see my diagram here:
IMG_1933 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

JM2c

Old 04-01-2008, 04:43 AM
tommythomasson
Junior User
Vacuum hose sizes, as with many other things, make a difference. If it's too small for the fitting then it can't be forced on or will soon split. Too large and it won't seal or it slips off.
I should have been a little clearer -

My plan was to simply match the hose sizes to the fittings - I obviously would not want to force something that does not fit. I wasnt' sure if there were additional considerations to be had...

Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
SA-FV = Separator Assembly - Fuel Vacuum
VRDV = Vacuum Retard Delay Valve
TVS = Thermal Vacuum Switch
V REST = Vacuum Restrictor
T REST & V-CBV are not listed in my '83 Emissions Shop Manuals.
HI, this is Old81F100 Who rejoined cause I lost my mind. Yes, the vacuum hoses are color coded. Originally they had a colored stripe running down the side that faded with time. Blue, Red came off the vacuum manifold, EGR was Green, there are 4 sizes for sure. And I don't feel safe having to reef down on a pair of hose clamps like a boat engine, Just to get the little A/CL BI MET on the top of the round air filter. But there is about as much information about size and color as whatever there is very little of. If anyone would like to email me motdranwod@gmail.com with any info on my CA F-100 5.0 L 302 Vacuum hose routing sizes and colors, I am going to buy the silicon hoses in lengths and them cut and measure them fur the forum. I counted 14 people asking about those vacuum hoses in 2 days. There is a chart on the hood, that I took a digital picture of. As I find what size and color hose goes where, I color it on the chart. I am taking pictures as I go along. It costs $120 for a precut Corvette kit, so I think that it is reasonable to send me as much info as you can get so we all don't get taken to the cleaners. It went from a rescission to a depression is the latest radio chatter. So every penny we can save by standing together is one we don't have to mail away to a computer web site that doesn't even answer the phone.

One hose, on the wrong nipple or one cap come of the vacuum tree can cost you a lot of $$$ now that gas is going up to $4,50 a gallon. Yep, the refinery fire about 10 miles from our house had a fire, so they justified raising gas prices up to $4.50. I wish every time I stubbed my toe I could get an extra 75 cents from everyone in California.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Originally Posted by tommythomasson
Anyone know how to interpret the color coding on the vac diagrams under the hood? There about 5 different colors, but no "key" that defines what the different colors represent. All I can figure is that they are for different sizes of line (didn't know if this was a standard anywhere).

Also, anyone know what "SA-FV" might stand for on this vac diagram? (some kind of valve I'm sure)

Hell, I might as well throw a few more up here...

VRDV?
TVS?
T REST?
V REST?
V-CBV?

I've come a long way reading and understanding these diagrams, but I haven't quite mastered it...

SA-FV Separator Assembly Fuel/Vacuum
VRDV Vacuum Retard Delay Valve
TVS Temperature Vacuum Switch
T REST No Luck
V REST No Luck
V-CBV No Luck

I think Ford re issues these acronyms on weekends just for a laugh LOL. I hope that helps. If you find out the last three let me know and I will put it in the acronym dictionary I am putting together. motdranwod@gmail.com

Last edited by Old81F100Brown; 09-08-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: More Information on my project! Smog Center yesterday.CA Black hose only legal
Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

'REST' is a restriction.
'CBV' is a combination bypass valve.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
On my vac diagram BV is bowl vent and VCBV (i think) is a vacuum controlled check valve so while running, vacuum does not reduce bowl pressure.

T REST seems to me that it would be a Thermostatic Restriction, like the VCV controlling my distributor advance.

Though it's a HD460 you can see my diagram here:
IMG_1933 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

JM2c
Thanks! I can use a lot of this! Though Mine is less complicated has has less stuff. And my dog Checkers who lived 20 years is the spiting image of your Pit. Do you live in Portland OR? Could be one of her pups!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I live in the 'toe' of Connecticut.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Asian Spanker is now Old81F100Brown

I also have a tuner BMW, and I buzz past Rice Burners. Thus the Asian Spanker. But my wife said I wasn't being socially responsible. I like my Ford pick-ups, but if I am getting something small it is going to be something that runs the Autobahn. I was driving with my son two years ago on our way to Berlin, we were doing about 120 klicks. Another car passed us on the right proper side and he must have been doing 150 mph. That is the reason they never used to put coffee cup holders in their cars. Take your eye's off the road for one second, at least you wouldn't feel it. Yes my new email is motdranwod@gmail.com Thanks for tracking me down. How are you doing on color coding your vacuum hoses? Did you find good silicon ones?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Vacuum Hose Colors off the top of my head... They are color coded by purpose, not by hose size or length.

RED: Manifold Vacuum
Yellow: Distributor Vacuum Advance
Blue: EGR Valve: Port on Carb to PVS. (Ported Vacuum Switch)
Green: EGR Valve: From PVS to EGR Valve
White: WOT: Wide Open Throttle source vacuum

Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Colored Vacuum Hoses in California

I found out why I can't find anything on using colored vacuum hose here in California! Because you will not pass SMOG here in Cali with anything other than black vacuum hoses. Thus the colored stripes down the side of the black vacuum hoses from the factory. I know because I was told at the SMOG center their orders are to run the test and then flunk you (thus getting your $65 to $125) because you have other than black vacuum hoses. They even tried to say the the colored tape I used instead of colored hoses was on there to plug a leak. And tried to take it off! So I flunked because (A) I had a colored hose and (B) there was no cap on one side of my carbon canister.
And the good folks at DMV SMOG said that it wouldn't make any difference on the test, it was just the State of California is trying to get as many old cars off the road to stimulate the economy.
So, if someone can come up with a reasonable way to make a colored stripe down a black vacuum hose, I am all ears! I have tried, tape, markers. But I haven't tried paint. It would have to be a painted stripe the long way, just like OEM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vaccum color coding