2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got EATC? Better check your tube!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Got EATC? Better check your tube!

I had the bezel around the radio off today, and, remembering someone else posting about how the tube to pull air past the EATC temperature sensor was not connected in their truck, I decided to make sure that tube was actually connected on mine.

I saw the tube running up to the grate on the dash, reached in behind dash, and sure enough, it was connected up behind the grate. Just for my education, I wanted to see where the other end went. Following the tube down, I see the other end is just flopped down in the cavity under the ash tray, disconnected. Son of a ...!!! Some idgit at the Rouge plant didn't connect mine either! Do they manage to get any of them connected?

It took awhile for me to see that the other end is supposed to be connected to a port near the floor on the drivers side of the center hump. It's probably easiest to verify that it's hooked up by pulling off the lowest cowl that runs around the bottom of the dash just above the center hump.

Before this, the EATC would tend to overshoot the temperature if it was set to 70 degrees or higher, running hot too long and then running stone cold to correct the overshoot and back and forth. Setting the temp to 67 or so worked much smoother. I knew it wasn't perfect, but I didn't think it was that terrible either. I bet it will work great now!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Crap...........Finally I may have found the solution to my problem.

My truck has been to 2 different dealerships aleast 4 times for this problem and each time they tell me theres nothing wrong, went as far as telling me its normal..
B.S. its not normal. If the temperature is set to 68degress then thats what you should get. Not this blast of 90degree heat then all of a sudden arctic air.

Anyway my truck is in the shop right now for this very problem, but took it to another dealership this time. Service manager drove it and finally some else understands what im talking about even after that though the mechanic told him that he couldnt find anything wrong, but still the service manager knew it wasnt right, so he told me he went out and pulled another truck with the EATC and set them side by side running with the temp set at the same temperature and the other truck did not have this problem and he pointed it out to the mechanic. They are still trying to figure it out, told me he would call me monday.

Much happier with this dealership so far just from the standpoint of them actually determining that yes there is a problem and its just not me...im going to bring this tube thing to their attention on monday and see what they say.

Thanks again VFRMan..You helped diagnose my IWE problem, now hopefully a solution to my EATC problem..

Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope that's it for your sake too.

The sad thing is that it may be "normal" if the boob on the assembly line is never connecting the dagnab tube to get air flow past the temp sensor.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well. Got my truck back after a little over a week in the shop. Mechanic checked the tube thing and determined it wasnt it. That I needed a new Temperature door actuator. When they order it, it got back orded but then came in a few days after that.
It hasnt been that cold to really run the heat alot, but i have noticed that the EATC does keep the truck a even temperature inside now and is alot more comfortable vs the constant blast of Hot/Cold air.
Also I have noticed that so far my dash board on the passenger side, doesnt sound like a coffee pot perculating inside. So hopefully 2 problems fixed. whew.....

Also glad that I finally found a dealership that went out of their way to actually diagnose the problem and not blow it off and tell me its normal...

Thanks again VFR_Man....