1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

car show funnys

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face car show funnys

I started the car show rant,Now lets go in a different direction.What was your stranges car show story? I went to a truck show 3 years ago with my 1950 dodge pickup.I had it for sale with a sign in the window,at the end of the day I came back to my truck and a gent was standing there looking in the back of the truck,I asked if he was interested,he replied no,but I notice you live near my son.He then said he lived about 15 miles from me and he had a small problem.at this point I had know ideal where this was going.He told me he had bought a 25 buick roadster body at the swap meet and needed someone to take it home for him.He thought it would fit in my bed.My bed that had a very polished 1/4 sawen oak floor and base coat clear coat painted sides that had never had anyting in it.Well being the sucker I am.I told him if he got a tarp or something to cover up the bed,I would take it home for him.At that point we go over to the swap meet to buy a tarp.Guess who didnot have enough $ left to buy the tarp.Well I bought the tarp we load the body and he tells his buddys that I am taking him home.On the way we get talking and find we have some mutal friends.I tell him I am looking for a panel truck and he tells me of his friend that has a 54 ford for sale.Well it worked out he got his body he paid me for the tarp,and I got my 54.Now whenever I see him at a car show he tells all the story.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a good one!!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I had this story in the "rant" thread but I thought it should be here too if it was missed in the other thread by anyone who didn't read that one:

My very most memoriable experience at a car show was one held indoors, consisting of very high end muscle and classic show cars. As my younger cousin and I entered the venue I notice a guy who stood about 5 foot nothing and had his share of frosty brews having a rather loud disagreement with a guy who had a '65 Chevelle on display. The spectator was telling the car owner he was incorrect, the car was a '66, he had one and he knew it was a '66. The owner finally just said, "Yeah, you're right" just to appease the guy. About an hour later we were looking through a album of another car on display when I hear someone yell, "Hey, you can't tell me what to do!". I turned around and saw the same guy arguing but this time it was with two of our finest in blue. I told my cousin to just watch and enjoy. The cops were cautioning this guy that there were complaints from people at the show that he was causing trouble and spilling beer on their cars. The guys replied that they were wrong because, "I know how to drink, nice and slow, it was someone else". The cops again cautioned the guy to behave. At that point the guy tells the cops, "You better get away from me and leave me alone before a I kick your a**!". This is were it got real interesting. One of the cops asked the guy, "Are you threatening us with bodily injury?" He replied,"Yeah, if you don't leave me alone I'm going to kick your a**". Remember this guy stood 5 foot nothing, the cops stood at least 6 feet. One of the cops left and the other back up against the wall. The guy went on telling the remaining cop, "Yeah, your partner knows better, he knows what'll I'll do and if you don't leave me alone you'll find out what'll happen". The cop remained calmed and told the guy, "Hey, I'm just watching the crowd. I'm not bothering you." Meanwhile I started laughing and my cousin asked me what was so funny. I pointed out the four or five additional cops coming through the crowd. Within the next ten seconds they had the guy on the ground, with a rather loud crack sound, and out the door hog tied. It made for a very memoral event.

Just thought you guys might enjoy the story. Sometimes there is justice.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Back in the day I had a highly customized Dodge van that I attended ISCA car shows with .Balanced / blue printed 340 , around 400 H.P,chrome and detail ,Faibanks racing trans ,Hooker chrome exhaust w/ side pipes for drive train . Exterior had 14 coats of '71 hemi irredecent orange ,gold pearl ,candy apple tangerine flames ,more gold pearl and 7 coats of clear .This bad As* van was bright .The interior had 14 yds. of royal orange crushed velvet w/ 1382 buttons in a diamond tuck pattern . I know for I did the interior . Quite a hit w/ the ladies if you know what I mean . Any way we were at the Miami Beach Convention Center with the van for the 1983 World of Wheels Show. Sat .nite was wall to wall people .One had a hard time walking the aisles.Some people would rush up to it in disbelief . Well this young colored lady did just that but did not stop and dove right in the back of it . I was the butt of the jokes and ridicule that night and all Sunday .I had some very good times at those shows . FYI I was never beat in my class for 2 yrs.Wait till you see pics of the 1ST-RIDE .Another fine example of my work . Pics soon

Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was at a VFW show two years ago that had a couple of Hooters girls walking around posing for pictures and such. There was one guy, totally sloshed (and still drinking), following them around like he had just entered heaven. He was acting pretty silly but mostly harmless.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a Show Quality '67 Mustang Fastback (see my Gallery) at Temecula with the hood up because the engine compartment was top drawer.

To be different, my Air Cleaner was Brass Plated rather than Chrome. A Little Brasso and it shined like Gold.

Since my Wife was driving, I went to drain the countless Frosties I was enjoying that day and... I was well lubricated.

When I got back to my Car these two guys were looking into my engine compartment saying "too bad he ruined it with that Brass Air Cleaner".

I walked up and and said "I'm, really sorry, you're right, what was I thinking ?" in front of about 20 people.... they were speechless......

No doubt they didn't have a vehicle there that day.......

Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
going slow
Senior User
those are all pretty good stories....someday ill actualy build/hang on to somthing long enough to put it in a show, then maybe ill have some stories to tell ...keep em' commin'....

Old 02-23-2008, 11:12 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
During the time my 31 Vicky was on the ISCA circuit I had left my wife (GOMD)with the car while I made a drink run. While I was gone two mechanical geniuses were commenting on the ''chrome fuel injection'' that probably didn't work anyway, but there was no one there to ask ''except that woman, and she doesn't know anything about it'' She then proceeded to explain to the them that the ''chrome fuel injection'' was actually a set of polished Weber carbs, 48MM IDAs but during cruising season we use a 33MM choke in them, it's a lot more docile to drive and it gets better mileage that way. I arrived back at he display just in time to see the 2 geniuses slink away in embarassment.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Firstriders_daughter
New User
If I knew then what I know now

I thank God that I didn't know any better, for my memories of "said" car/truck shows (truck-in's) were that MY DADDY had THE BEST van in the whole world. (which by the way HE DID) and that it was normal for me to go back to my 4th grade class and for "show and tell" share with all my fellow 8 year olds the beautiful "hair clips" with the feathers dangling from them. As how was my Daddy going to deny me what I thought THE MOST BEAUTIFUL hair accessory IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. No, not just one, 5, all which I paraded around the truck-in venue. I remember it as it was yesterday, I was Miss Universe in my mind. I bet it was a big laugh around the campfire later that evening, as it all makes sense to me now. As I rest my weary head on THE SOFTEST crushed orange velvet bed in the south, resting up for a sured day of accepting trophy after trophy, and completely tuckered out after a long day of mud wrestling (yes, me and all the other 8 year olds had activities a plenty), I'm sure one of the topics were in regards to the "convenient" hemostats I adorned.
Oh, Daddy, you may have won best in show/class/year/make/model.... yadda yadda yadda, but I was there with the King of the world. Funny how things have not changed. (aside from you outgrowing that "phase").... You still are, and always will be #1.
So there in a nutshell is my car show/truck-in story.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here's one of my many many humourous experiances from a carshow.
i have both my 58 m-100 panel sitting next to my econoline p/u i am sitting inna lawnchair just behind em within earshot. when two fellas came up and were checkin' em out, discussing "how nice a job someone had done fabricating the rear upperbody on my m-100 p/u & making a van outta it" and how "someone had made such a nice job of cutting the rear off of my econoline van and making a pickup out of it" and also how they "bent the rear quarter glass around"..........funny thing is these were 2 older guys that should have remembered when vehicles like this were still on the road.
mikie
near ottawa canada
58 merc panel
64 econo p/u

Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
I was on my way out to this little show in North Salem Indiana, Had not been out yet for the year so, needless to say I had a little trouble getting there. I had put a new Air cleaner on over the winter along with a lot of other things, but somehow I was getting an arch from the coil wire to the air cleaner, the truck stalled out on me going up a long hill and would not refire. I am holding up traffic, a cop drives right by, and the guy behind me says you need some help, I said sure if you could help me push the truck into that driveway over there, he said ok and went to get back in his truck (I thought what in the world is he up to) so he starts to pull up to the back of my 56 and of coure I had to stop him, asked what he was doing, he replied that he was going to push mine with his (the drive way that was about 5 ft feet us), I told him thanks, I appriciate the thought but I was not going to let that happen after all the work that I had put in this truck, Two other guys jumped out and we pushed her into the drive, I found the problem, fixed it and back on the road I went. I showed up late to the show, they still let me register and I won the hard luck award. So I guess it turned out ok.

Kyle

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was @ the regular 1st Sunday of the month Classic Car/Truck meet @ Legends in La Verne several months ago, when I over heard these 2 guys talking over by my '58 M-100;

1st guy; When I 1st walked up, I thought it was Just another Olde Ford truck, but Wow, it's a Mercury Truck.

2nd guy; I didn't know Mercury made trucks, just thought they made Ugly cars, last time I assume anything! And then I saw that really clean looking 6 cyl mill.

1st; And it has an Automatic in it, never saw one w/ an auto trans.

2nd; It's even got the 4 Gauges in the Dash & not any Idiot lights.

1st; Look its even got a Mercury horn button.

2nd; Hey, looky here @ this tailgate, the MERCURY isn't just painted on!

Bloody well near laughed my **** off & it went on like that for about 20 minutes or so.