2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haulin' ATVs/Golf cart

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
silver lariat
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haulin' ATVs/Golf cart

Part of the reason I moved from an Expedition to a F150 was to be able to haul my golf cart around without using the 5x8 trailer. I figure i can load it in the bed and go sans trailer.

But, two questions arise...

1) What are the best loading ramps to use? Truck is a 4x4 and The cart is an electric lifted EZ-Go.

2) Does anbody out there have experience hauling a cart with a fold up tonneau cover, more specifically a BakFlip or similar? The BakFlip uses rails that attach to the truck's frame rails so you loose a few inches of space at rail height. I'm not sure if that will make any difference??

Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got an aluminum ramp that unfolds. Holds 1500 lbs and spans the entire width of the tailgate. Lightweight but beefy. secures to the bumper or hitch to keep from sliding while loading. Got to check on the brand. I'll get back to you.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 AM
ltolson
New User
I don't know about the fold up tonneau. I have a soft roll up that does not cause problems with my Club Car. It fits between the wheel wells and does not come close to the bed walls.

My concern is the weight capacity of the tailgate. I think about that everytime I drive the cart or ATV up the ramp. Gets my blood pressure up with each loading and unloading.

I use the heavy duty tri-fold ramps from BassPro. I believe the weight capacity is 1500lbs. Get the long version.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by silver lariat
2) Does anbody out there have experience hauling a cart with a fold up tonneau cover, more specifically a BakFlip or similar? The BakFlip uses rails that attach to the truck's frame rails so you loose a few inches of space at rail height. I'm not sure if that will make any difference??
well, stating the obvious, is it really that hard to measure the width of your bed with the Bakflip rails in place vs. measuring the width of your golf cart??? Get out your tape measure!!!

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 01-08-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Gee! Why didn't I think of that?! Maybe cause it's pouring rain and maybe cause I figured I'm not the only one hauling a golf cart with a BakFlip. And maybe cause since I've never hauled it in a truck before I don't know just where the cart will come up to the rails. But as ltolson noted (in a much kinder tone I might add) if it fits between the wheel wells the rails shouldn't be a problem. Now THAT I should have thought of.

So the question goes more to which ramps are best? But why pose that question here? I'm sure Steve would rather I spend a few days, a lot of gas money and travel cross country to visit each and every store to see, touch, and judge all the different ramps for myself. Much, much simpler than asking a friendly online forum for their advice, opinions and experience!

Glad to know you Senior users are so friendly to the new guys here. Now, what was the URL to the F150's forum???

Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Glad I could help you Junior!

Don't have a cow man, like I said, I just simply stating the obvious (/sarcasm implied). This isn't directed necessarily towards you, but it kills me sometimes when someone is too lazy to measure something, or look something up that is clearly indicated in the owner's manual, or too lazy to use the search feature on here, etc., so they have to post another new question about it on here.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 01-08-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 03redstx
I've got an aluminum ramp that unfolds. Holds 1500 lbs and spans the entire width of the tailgate. Lightweight but beefy. secures to the bumper or hitch to keep from sliding while loading. Got to check on the brand. I'll get back to you.
How does it hook to the hitch? Id love to get some more info on this particular ramp.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by ltolson

My concern is the weight capacity of the tailgate. I think about that everytime I drive the cart or ATV up the ramp. Gets my blood pressure up with each loading and unloading
The tailgate can support 500lbs.But when I load stuff using ramps it is much easier to just take the tailgate off and load right on the bed itself. ford does tell you to take the gate off when loading heavy items. It comes off in 15 seconds or less.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The tailgate can support 500lbs.But when I load stuff using ramps it is much easier to just take the tailgate off and load right on the bed itself. ford does tell you to take the gate off when loading heavy items. It comes off in 15 seconds or less.
Wow. Great info. Having not yet ever done this, I expect (know) my cart will extend beyond the 6.5' bed and onto the gate. Is it just as easy to reinstall the tailgate after the atv/cart has been loaded??

Interesting that every catalog/ebay listing, etc. I've look at - none show the gate removed. They all show the ramps connected to the tailgate.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Originally Posted by WheelMA1
How does it hook to the hitch? Id love to get some more info on this particular ramp.
I bought it from a friend who got it at a marina where he bought his atv. He sold his truck to buy a pilot so he sold it to me. As soon as I can pick my way through the garage, I will see if it has a brand name on it.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
r95018
Junior User
Originally Posted by silver lariat
Wow. Great info. Having not yet ever done this, I expect (know) my cart will extend beyond the 6.5' bed and onto the gate. Is it just as easy to reinstall the tailgate after the atv/cart has been loaded??

Interesting that every catalog/ebay listing, etc. I've look at - none show the gate removed. They all show the ramps connected to the tailgate.
Replacing your tailgate will be interesting if the cart's wheels extend beyond the bed. Other than that, yes it is quick and easy to replace the tailgate.

We just leave our tailgate down when loading a quad. Our largest quad weighs a little over 600#, but not all the weight is supported by the tailgate at any one time as it is rolled onto, or off of, the truck.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Originally Posted by r95018
Replacing your tailgate will be interesting if the cart's wheels extend beyond the bed. Other than that, yes it is quick and easy to replace the tailgate.

We just leave our tailgate down when loading a quad. Our largest quad weighs a little over 600#, but not all the weight is supported by the tailgate at any one time as it is rolled onto, or off of, the truck.
Makes sense. I've never seen one loaded with the gate off. I'm pretty certain mine will have to ride with the gate down and some of the weight will be supported by the gate but as you say, certainly not all of it. Guess my next step is to look up the weight of my cart.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
tcgeez07
New User
no problem

I've loaded lots of stuff (eg: 750lb Honda Pilot) directly on the tail gate of my 97 F150 without problems. I imagine that my 07 is just as strong. go with as long of ramps as you can live with. i also suggest you rig up a winch to the front of your bed or cart for loading and unloading. I rigged a detachable hand crank model to the front of my bed for about $30. -saved lots of wear and tear. good luck. T

Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
silver lariat
Senior User
Originally Posted by tcgeez07
i also suggest you rig up a winch to the front of your bed or cart for loading and unloading. I rigged a detachable hand crank model to the front of my bed for about $30. -saved lots of wear and tear. good luck. T
More great info, thanks. I was worried about ramming the front of the bed.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
I load my ATV in the back all the time... the only thing I need to fix is the front middle top of the bed... it Bowed in towards the cab.... they just don't make pickup beds like they used too..... every time it snows I have to clean it out... becuase if not .. it will freeze and I am screwed!

The bumper of the ATV hits the top middle portion of the bed to bend it.. I am going to make a steel bar that i can attach to the stake pockets