1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 Glass Cabs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Aussie 53
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 F100 Glass Cabs?

I was surfing the net today and discovered that you guys in the States reproduce 56 F100 Glass cabs. What do you all think about them? This could be a profitable busniess venture I could get into down under, since the F100 is becoming a interest here. Would you also know if they reproduce a steel body over there?

Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
The BeBops cab has been out for 3 or 4 years now. I like it, but I know the diehards want the metal.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
As far as I know...the steel cab is not produced here. The door and cab corner patch panels are. Front fenders are. The front valance is. The hoods just have patch panels.

The entire beds are.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Brian,

The steel hoods are out now. Dennis Carpenter and Mid 50's has them. The 56 steel doors I have not seen anybody with them yet. The slant cab 53-55 doors have been out for about 2 years. Aussie that glass cab seems to be good quality but like many would prefer metal.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I see. I was not aware of the hoods being out. The last time I looked it was a front edge patch panel.

It seems odd that the 56 doors are not re-made in steel. I am also surprised the roof is not made in steel.

I have never had anything glass. I guess I know how to work with steel. LOL

Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Aussie 53
Tuned
I guess a Glass cab is not a good option. Looks like it's back to the drawing board with my little adventure.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
hey Aussie53, I wouldn't discount it so fast. How popular are glass bodied 32's down there? With this glass cab and doors, it is now possible to build a completely new, aftermarket 1956 F-100. Rolling frames available, wheels, drivetrain, glass cabin & doors, all new steel bed (I know a bed manufacturer here in Oklahoma City), steel or glass: running boards, front fenders, rear fenders, hood, I trust they're re-popping '56 grilles, glass, interior, paint..... oh, almost forgot - LABOR.
voila - a brand spankin' new 1956 F-100.

don't stop lookin' man. the time has arrived that it is possible. from what I've seen, those cabs are built fabulously. If I didn't have two gennie cabs sittin in the shop, I'd drool on a glass one.

JML

Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Aussie 53
Tuned
Thanks mate! I guess anythings possible these days. 32 glass bodies are quite popular here in Aussie. There are four or five manufacters here. As for the 56 pickups. All steel body parts (including bed), glass body, rolling on a fatman chassis for around $19,000 US. Finish it all off with Glass and other bits and pieces (let the customer choose colour) for around $30.000. US. That is a pretty good price for a finished truck in Aussie.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aussie--ask Last chance55 how he like his all fiberglass cab--I saw it and it is top quality. I think if you check his gallery you can see it. Bill

Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Last Chance 55
Senior User
I still check in every now and then. Aussie, I did purchase a Bebops cab in the spring of 07 and just recently got the truck together for a test drive and final hole drilling session. I am very please with it. I did discover that with cab being glass and the design of the reinforced inner frame that going for the oringinal look is very hard (but it can be done). If you are going for a custom look(mine will be a driver) then the options that you can do are unlimited. The gel coat is slick and the fit is perfect. The installed pwr windows and door locks are great. The people at Bebops were wonderful and give great advice. I was very reluctant at first to buy the cab but now I am very glad that I did, it has saved time and money trying to achieve the look that I am after. I am generally a steel man, but the glass looks good. Right now we are prepping cab and doghouse for paint and welding non used holes on the bed up. Hope to make it to the super nats this year with it.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie 53
Thanks mate! I guess anythings possible these days. 32 glass bodies are quite popular here in Aussie. There are four or five manufacters here. As for the 56 pickups. All steel body parts (including bed), glass body, rolling on a fatman chassis for around $19,000 US. Finish it all off with Glass and other bits and pieces (let the customer choose colour) for around $30.000. US. That is a pretty good price for a finished truck in Aussie.
Aussie 53, the idea of buying all the bits in the USA and shipping them here and then selling as a rolling truck is a good one BUT, by the time you factor in all the shipping costs, taxes, gst etc,you wouldn't make any money . Actually with the money you would spending you would be able to buy a show quality steel truck here in aus, and still have money left over
Much better to do as i did , and buy a nice drivable steel truck at a much cheaper price than buying repro bits, we don't have to pay import taxes on vehicles 30 years or older.
But the one i bought , i'm gunna keep.
Hopefully i finally get to see it with my own two eyes in about 2 weeks time